1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

10 person raids?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by EvilPeppard, Jun 24, 2013.

1. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

Reminds me of a friend of mine, Rogue, he tried to put poison on his sword and ended up disenchanting it. I never undestood how he did it. LOL
  2. Vyril

Vyril Cupcake-About-Town

This once again a false statement and does not hold truth in all cases.
  3. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

I have never heard anyone claim that old adage was false before.

Money and time is finite.
    With every new endeavor you take on you have to decrease resources from other areas.
    This is bound to piss some people off.

Pretty sure they said they were different raids.
  4. Dasphunk

Dasphunk Cupcake

They have already said the 20 and 40 mans will be different raids, with different difficulty.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/wildstar-arkship-answers-community-questions/
  5. Warruz

Warruz Cupcake

6. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks. I will enjoy reading this.

Dungeons and Raiding
    Will the dungeons have any scalability for different size groups? Will those group sizes ever be less than 5?
    You will be able to recruit more players if you have disconnections, as dungeons do not scale.

How many players will consist a Raid for a raiding Dungeon?
    20 or 40, dependent on dungeon.

Are there going to be more than one difficulties for the same dungeon?
    Yes - Regular and Expert.

Are there going to be different sizes when it comes to players for a raiding?
    Dungeons do not scale – they are designed for set sizes.

Doesn't that say that dungeons are getting elite difficulty and not raids?
    I was thinking raids were only 1 difficulty.
  7. Vyril

Vyril Cupcake-About-Town

Just because you haven't heard something doesn't make it not true.

Sure if you choose to half ass something, you will reap the what you sow. Carbine is adding more to their development team all the time. So how would be adding a team to creating 10 man content be bad? If you find out that adding said item that will benefit you then you add.

Supply and Demand. If you have a demand for 10 man content then you can supply it as long as it creates revenue.
  8. dizko

dizko Cupcake-About-Town

Livnthedream and Zellfel like this.
  9. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> Can we tune down the hostility I'm seeing in this thread just a tad? I think that'd be lovely and all parties involved would appreciate it. </Mod Monocle>
  10. Rafe

Rafe Cupcake

My idea regarding raid sizes is that there are several reasons why 10s and 25s raids on WOW don´t work that well. One is that you basically need 5 extra ppl to create a 25 man raid with 2 10 man's . That for me is poor design. Specially because you normally already need extra ppl for replacements in case of lack of internet, absences for any reason... Another is that these days you choose if you are doing a 10 man or a 25 when earlier it was the same raid with different loot and you could do both (what normally made 25s leave a lot of ppl out of the 2 10s they normally broke into).

On wildstar as I can see the whole idea behind the raid sizes is that you are going to spend some time managing and doing the logistics to create a group of 20, while someone else is doing the same for another 20 man. Then you can pool the 2 together for a 40 man. Of course maybe there will be a need for extras here as well for ppl that miss raids, have no internet on that day...those issues. But at least you are building groups with sizes that combine and match together. And another thing is that 20s and 40s are different raids, so you aren't just seeing the same content twice. It is new and appealing, and it's an effort to experience, therefore with rewards according to the size of that effort. People in general need to see the effort behind each of these different things and think that in equivalence to similar efforts in anything else (like any group effort in real life) we would see different rewards. Of course I think there can be difficult content for any size, 5-10-20-40... and it should be rewarded accordingly too. But also there is an effort just in assemble and coordinate 40 ppl for anything, which is totally different than gathering 5 to 10 ppl.

There is yet to be seen how many players of each roles you will need for the encounters of 20 and 40 man, but depending on how the spec and gear system works that can be easily done with ppl having gear and speccing for 2 different roles. ( 1 for their 20 man and 1 for the 40 one)
  11. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

It isn't going to happen not only because resources are finite, they are not convinced that 10 man is a good platform for their games and changing that view is not something that will happen even if plenty of people want it as it isn't a choice they made lightly to begin with and they also know that some people like this format they said they will simply not support it.

That being said, by adding 10 mans you'll essentially have to kill of another raid format. As the 20 man already serve a purpose for smaller groups and 40 mans for bigger groups.

By adding 10 mans, you create group content essentially for the same audience as those in 20 mans, result is very predictable and obvious, the creation of 20 man groups will not happen as often due to 10 mans.

Beyond that, you have the question of gear we already know gear is not going to be equal in all formats, so without rewarding 40 mans by too much and 5 mans too little (as the 5 man heroics will serve as entry level gear to raids) this is a tricky situation to balance with 3 raid formats.

So there's plenty of reasons to not actually have a third raid format and we also know the other two existing ones aren't going away as they are already being tested and the developers heavily support it for a plethora of reasons and not all to simply "support the hardcore crowd", few posts back i posted an interesting view of how 10 mans actually caused the shattering of guilds and communities on WoW servers.

In any case you'll see a lot more 20 mans form and you'll have plenty to do in terms of raiding.
    Want to stick to your friends in a guild and not expand to 20? No problem that's what "circles" are going to be for i believe, plus all it takes is forge a friendly relationship with another guild in the same position and you got your 20 man raid, while it's not been openly said i have a sneaking suspicion that's what carbine is aiming to revive again. More server wide communities, less "lobby like" mmo game play.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  12. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

13. zeewut

zeewut New Cupcake

Wow has 10 man normal, 10 heroic, 25 normal, 25 heroic, LFR and soon to be flex raids. Six total raiding difficulties and it's all the same content. That's just absurd and i hope Carbine doesn't follow suit and cave in.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  14. Rafe

Rafe Cupcake

Zeewut, that is exactly what they said they aren't doing. And Jarinolde, as I've seen the posts there will be different raids for the 20 man and the 40 man. Like the raid for 20 man is the Cave of Blablabla, and the 40 man is the Laboratory of Whatever. With that they will have, as I think, 2 difficulties: normal and expert.
    And the content will be completely different for 20 man and 40 man. That diversity is entertaining and new and attracts a lot more than the wow version of 2 formats (or 4 these days, if you count LFR and flexible) for the same raid content.
  15. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

I know, I was just clarifying that statement, the way Dasphunk worded it made it sound like the raid sizes will be different in terms of difficulty, when the article was talking about difficulty modes for both raid sizes. I know many tend to not read source material so wanted to prevent any confusion.
    Rafael Dellamora likes this.
  16. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I'm not sure this is correct, and I believe it was translated over wrong. The gamebreaker article says "raids", while the quote in our Arkship thread says "dungeons".
    I have always seen the response by Carbine being only 1 difficulty....I'm pretty sure they directly said "Our raids are 1 difficulty..."hard"...while the responses for normal and heroic were always directed at 5 man dungeons.

Normal dungeons are leveling 1-49
    Heroic are level cap 50 end game dungeons.
    20/40 man raids are both 1 difficulty setting "hard"

I believe the terms got muddled when there was discussion about 20 mans possibly being less difficult because they were compared to ZG and AQ20 which were considered less difficult than the 40man counterparts.
  17. Rafe

Rafe Cupcake

Yeah, Convicted, after doing some research. And asking Kataryna (a regular poster here) directly, I got the response that raids are indeed 1 difficulty only. Which is Hard.
  18. EvilPeppard

EvilPeppard New Cupcake

I realize this is an old thread that I started last year, but with the NDA now lifted, and information flowing all over, I wanted to revisit the thought of 10 person raids, and see if there was any new information regarding the possibility of 10 person raids.

I get the idea behind 20 and 40 person raids. I know the devs want to make sure there is content for the most dedicated and hard core players, but I personally feel 10 person raids have a place in any MMO. I certainly hope Wildstar will add some 10 person raid options at some point.

Anything new regarding 10 person raids, or is Wildstar still sticking with 20/40 person raids for now?

Thank again for the feedback.
  19. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

I think the only thing I've heard was the devs admitting they're taking a risk with 20 and 40 mans and may be forced to re-evaluate in the future, but nothing is planned at this point.
  20. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

if they had 10 man raids, they would have advertised them. id love to see 10 man raids, but .. I see them as 10 man dungeons, glorified group instances, not raids (personally), especially in a 40 man raid game. I loved the UBRS/Scholo/Strat tier. Great way to get people into larger scale content.
    Kataryna likes this.