1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

3v3 Arena Comps Theorycrafting

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by biblestudy, May 20, 2014.

1. biblestudy

biblestudy New Cupcake

Hello again, citizens of Nexus!

biblestudy here with a video on comps that I feel will synergize well together for 3v3 arenas in Wildstar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ot9TPNSkQ

In the video, I speak from a healing standpoint since that is my focus, but the information applies to everybody. Definitely drop a comment and let me know what you guys think of the video and what you guys are most excited to play come launch.

Thanks, and until next time, take care cupcakes!
  2. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

Good listen. I plan on playing Esper, so the basic take-away is that whatever I do I'll be the first guy targeted by the other team. *putting on my kiting shoes now*

I've also heard that hybrid specs are the way to go in Wildstar. How do you think things will change when you have two hybrid healers in there with a big dpser like war (I'm thinking Esper (hybrid), Medic (hybrid), engineer)? Or do you think that hybridization to that level will even be useful at end-game PvP?

Also: Did you submit this to the "media" section of WSC?
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  3. biblestudy

biblestudy New Cupcake

As far as hybrids go, it's quite possible. Now the medic can effectively hybrid while still building full support power, due to dual shock and especially shield surge scaling off of support power. The damage of shield surge is downright dirty for a healer to be dealing.

Also, if you take a look at SS like I said, dual shot (dual fire?) is definitely nothing to shrug at in terms of its damage and healing, again another ability that scales purely off of support power. Trying to mingle too many assault and support abilities into a single build though is going to have serious effects on your effectiveness at either.

The Esper has pyro kinetic flame as their hybrid ability, but I honestly haven't looked at it because they don't (in my opinion) have the survivability to deal with putting themselves in a compromising position like that.

The real question is, will the double hybrid comps be able to deal enough damage to mitigate the enemy healer and secure kills? For medics, I believe yes. That's a balance issue that needs to be looked at. I don't think it SHOULD be a viable play style. Double healer with an unholy DK was popular in WoW for awhile, and it was just a stupid comp because you were unable to land a kill on the enemy team due to them having two healers, and you eventually lost the fight because necrotic strike (a move that countered healing) would eventually be insurmountable.

I'll go through and look at load outs when I have free time and see if it's possible to put such a comp together. Ideally you're looking for abilities with high base damage and low scaling from assault power for it to work, so that you can still stack support power for the healing.

As for the media page, I did not. I'm more of a reddit user and just came here to spread the video. Did I post in the wrong section?
  4. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

Well you didn't necessarily submit your video to the wrong section. But I would suggest that you click "media" above, then the "submit media" button with the youtube url. That way people will expect to view a video when they look at the information you are posting. I am not certain how to designate the type of video as I am not a video content-creator.

As far as esper hybridization, I was having some good success using a hyrbid spec in PvE. I can save massive amounts of focus by using assault builders to build up to support finishers (I prefer telekinetic strike and concentrated blade). However, I only manage to contribute about as much dps as the tank due in part to my lack of assault power.

I guess, as far as PvP is concerned, I was hoping that the Esper's natural affinity to single-target healing would help me deal with reduced support power. This would be particularly needed because imo pyrokinetic flame is a disappointing ability unless you are using it purely for the party buffs and enemy debuffs. Not to mention that it would be stupid-hard to hit a player with it in PvP.

So, yeah. Esper hybrid builds in PvP do seem a little far-fetched at the moment. But that doesn't mean I won't try it anyway. :p
    Domi Dayglow likes this.
  5. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Can't really do a whole heck of a lot of theorycrafting until we see what gear changes are happening, especially in relation to pvp stats.
  6. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

Yeah, you're right, and we know it. It's just fun to muse about. /shrug
  7. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

3v3 all medics would be a nightmare.
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

40v40 all Medics
    [​IMG]
  9. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Naw, the sheer amount of burst aoe Engineers have make choke points or any well times cc an issue for full Medic teams.
  10. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Try not sacrificing Moxie at all. In PvE I always ran around with mending banner of reverie. I only really used either of those abilities when I was at 5 Psi Points. If you're on a team, and the other healer is hurting, a 5 point heal will help a lot more than small ones. Using this on adventures I was still able to be number 2 in damage pretty often. Just because you are not number 1 in damage doesn't mean you didn't help more than the person who was.

I didn't experiment that much in pvp. When I did, I pretty much gave up on single target healing like that. Instead I used soothe and reverie in pvp. I think I actually ended up building most of my psi points for my assault finisher off Soothe.

I treated pyrokinetic flame as a mobile builder and buff/debuffer. Then again the few times I went into arenas and battlegrounds I never really did arm myself as pure DPS. Most of my tiers were for buffs or debuffs. Attaching pyrokinetic flame on someone did give the nice boost my teammates. I usually followed that up with haunt to lower their resistance. When that person got mad at me I used my innate and phantasm armor. Then pretty much ran around in terror for someone to save me. Especailly when shockwave and restraint were on cooldown.

As long as I'm babbling about it, Pyrokinetic Flame I think is a great ability for it's utility, but it should never be taken for the purpose of DPS. Treat it as a mobile builder and buff/debuffer. Have to move out of that melee range telegraph? Move and use PF! You're out of the telegraph and suddenly in range of a heal over time. Pop your two bolsters on yourself and you've 3 heal over times on you and 3 points to blast back! Pew! Pew!

All of that being said, the most success I had my short experiments with PvP was as a healing esper. I forgot about doing damage and focused on healing and supporting others. I was pretty good at it!
    While running away terrified at the mean old dominion.

Oh! My Theory Craft! What about 2 engineers and 1 medic?

Incidently: Does anyone know if there as an addon being worked out to break the cross-faction communication barrier?