1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

65% of players tend to play solo

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by VooDoo, Feb 15, 2013.

1. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

We all solo sometimes but even when you solo it's nice to have a guild / friends to chat to while you game :p
  2. Dpz

Dpz Cupcake

I prefer to do both, but ofc one of my end goals with playing MMO's is to join up with a guild with hopefully awesome people to clear it's content, i miss that alot.
    Samsquanch, Mudfin and Maddog Charlie like this.
  3. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Like someone stated earlier, you don't need to play in a group to enjoy the social aspects of an MMO. I like playing at my own pace, and soloing is the best way to do that. Doesn't mean I hate groups, just means I'd rather collect bear asses by myself while chatting in the text box.
  4. Allarielle

Allarielle New Cupcake

When playing games, I personally like challenge, and I like feeling like I can rise to the challenge. There have been a few occasions when I've raided with groups I liked, but they've 'always' dissolved when some misogynist/racist/homophobic idiot has been given too much freedom. I like being able to log in any time I want and have something useful and meaningful to do, but I have yet to play an MMO where I didn't feel like I was really just wasting my time waiting for the next raid and 'real' progression.

The most fun I've ever had in an MMO was in the heroics in WoW:BC, because they involved a group small enough you could get to know each other, tight enough you had to, and challenging enough that you felt real accomplishment. Even if Wildstar had the perfect small-group content, though, there would still be a majority of the time when my friends aren't around or I just don't want to commit an hour+ in one sitting to a video game.
  5. Rogosh

Rogosh Cupcake-About-Town

I think the survey is sort of out whack, there has not been a great group game made since Everquest? Giving incentives to grouping is a huge reason to do it, ie more experience in a group- tougher adventures, better rewards etc.

Most games right now do not give you a great reason to group. Rift is probably the only exception.
    Mudfin likes this.
  6. EldritchSandwich

EldritchSandwich Cupcake

Thinking about it, the reason I tend to solo in MMOs is probably the same reason I don't like to go shopping with other people; when there's someone else who I have to keep track of and feel beholden to, I just get stressed out. When I feel like I can move at my own pace, I enjoy the presence of other people (that's why I play MMOs, after all), but having to coordinate with them makes that harder than just waving to them in passing.
    Jon and InnocentCivilian like this.
  7. Ralanost

Ralanost New Cupcake

For me, I love dungeons. Raids are ok, but I love me some dungeons and I would love to level from 10+ to max in dungeons with the occasional path questing. That being said, it's one of the main reasons I couldn't stand TERA leveling. Barely any leveling dungeons that penalized you extremely for not being the target level. I play at odd hours as well so raiding is usually more of a pain than it is worth. It also makes soloing my only option when I can't do dungeons most of the time. That makes leveling so damn painful.

When I can group I choose to. Sadly most games don't let me dungeon to cap in a reasonable amount of time (why should dungeon xp be far inferior to questing?) and there is no sidekicking system in most MMORPGs so I am usually left to my own devices in the times that I can play. Which means lots of solo questing. Yay....
  8. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Source

One thing I have noticed as a jobhunting person is that a lot of companies mistake introvert as being anti-social. So they ask for extrovert applicants specifically, even for positions that would normally be better fitted someone introvert, because of how they approach problemsolving.

So I have a theory about introvert/extrovert players.

Tending to solo and tending not to be forthcomming on making groups happen with strangers could simply be a typical sign of an introvert personality. Introverts will still be social in smaller numbers, like guild or with friends, if they are comfortable with them. If they are not, maybe the guild is failing, or maybe the person really are borderline anti-social.

Some would make groups with strangers, if it is the only way to complete their objectives, but at that point, they will have their eyes on the ball, not the social aspect.

I also assume that issues people have about convenience tools for grouping could partially be about where they land on the scale between extrovert - introvert. For extrovert the lack of consequence on behavior and contact/connection to those they group with makes dungeon finders a severe stain on their experience, while for introvert the efficiency and relief by the independence it gives outweighs the lack of consequence - and the lack of contact and connecting with strangers does not bother them any at all, unless they are closer to the middle of the scale.

I also think extrovert are more communicating when going to forums, while introvert lurk a lot, unless the topics speaks to them (I am an INTP personality according to Keirsey free mini personality test, and talking game developement, ideas and problemsolving engage me)

Question is if there will ever be a good toolset for grouping, that both value the social efficiency and independence for introverts and the social connection/recognition within the community at large for extroverts, so both types and those in the middle of the scale can be satisfied.

Until then, let's just say that tending to solo is not bad as long as it is a prefered choice of the player. It is however really bad if it is the only option a MMO comfortably offers their personality type.

Just like extroverts are not the only ones deserving a job, even though the "cool" jobmarket are trending there. Maybe I should blog about that somewhere :rolleyes:
    Izukar, Jon, Mudfin and 2 others like this.
  9. Echo

Echo Cupcake

I started off playing MMO's with real life friends but they all sort of fell through the cracks and I ended up playing more solo because they no longer are into MMO's but I keep asking them to try new MMO's with me but they try and quickly loose interest
  10. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

Nice post Siega - as usual. :) I agree with you. I am INTJ. I'm sure the J (judgment) is what motivates me to participate in social discussions on forums at all. Otherwise, I still mostly prefer the observer role. Have you read Quiet: The Power of Introverts In a World That Can't Stop Talking? I highly recommend it. I don't dislike extroverts, they just have a tendency to exhaust me more quickly than introverts. I like raiding, but after I'm done I want to slink off somewhere dark and quiet and shut out the noise. Farming for crafting materials and listening to an audiobook is zen.

This comic about introverts/extroverts is spot on.
    Izukar and SiegaPlays like this.
  11. Rhsolyn

Rhsolyn Cupcake

I hate questing/playing with other people because I have to focus on playing the actual game 100% and my attention span is far too finite for such shenanigans. I alt tab like crazy between AIM, skype, reddit, tumblr, etc and will often stop in the middle of a zone for several minutes at a time while doing other stuff. I can't DO that while questing with other people, so I don't, as much as I like the idea of questing with another person.

However, before you cry "social recluse! y u even play mmos??!" I am a roleplayer, and therefore quite the little social butterfly in the games I play.

The different being, of course, you can alt tab between RP replies.
  12. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

I think I also fall into the 'solo player' category. I too want to experience the game at my own pace. In Guild Wars 2, after every Dynamic Event, I would follow the key NPCs to see where they go and what would happen. I would explore every nook and cranny, talk with every NPC, listen to all the dialogue (literally with the 'listen' part, since GW2 has a LOT of audio-recorded NPC dialogue).

With other players around, it's a lot harder since everyone has different preferences but more often than not, they want to focus on the game side of it, not so much lore.

I'm cool with that; there are many times when I just want to GET MAH GAME ON, but that's why I like playing solo: because then I can choose when I want to smell the roses and when I want to just group with people and make things dead.

GW2 was the kind of game that encouraged forming groups out of convenience, then leaving whenever you felt like it. I kinda like that freedom and hope that Wildstar encourages a similar sense of no-obligation cooperation. ^____^
    Jon likes this.
  13. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

I tend to play solo since most players can't keep! Plus I am a gathering fool!
  14. Yushi

Yushi Cupcake

Leveling wise, I like solo.

End-game, I like to group. I hate leveling, and having people hold me back is the worst. Thus why i rather solo. But once i'm at the end game (Gear / Raiding) I want to be with people.
  15. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

I've played a large variety of MMOs over the years and my interest in MMOs hasn't waned as much as the past few years. There are a variety of reasons that I might not be able to put my finger one but I did discover one reason, one which actually both revitalized my interest and made me depressed. I came to realize how much more fun I had just messing around in groups than playing solo. This was after two years of playing LotRO primarily with a group then just joining random groups as a priest in WoW. (Not the WoW we know now, but I won't go further due to its dubious means.) I came to realize why I as a player of MMOs just sorta got bored and gave up on newer MMOs, or even with older ones that have changed to follow current MMO trends. It's one of many reasons of why I have such a fancy for MMOs but also afraid of them because of these trends causing MMOs to become so solo orientated that playing with a group becomes either difficult to accomplish for a variety of reasons as well as group play being so sterile that I might as well not be in a group.

That said, I believe that supporting a strong solo following is something that should not be ignored. After all, despite how fond I am of group play, with all the good and the bad, I sometimes need to be left to my own devices but I still enjoy being part of a greater world. I want to have solo content that gives me something to invest in and enjoy, character advancement of some sort is also a plus. Solo players also build a large part of the world which makes it alive, which is another big plus. Not everyone has to group all the time.

However, I don't want group play to be as downplayed or sterile as it has become recently. I want a game where there is plenty of group content that is challenging. I don't want it to be sterile. I don't want it to be anonymous. I want the game to support and encourage group play during all stages of the game. There is nothing that pisses me off more than being in a group and being hit with a "You may not be in a party to enter this instance/continue this quest" message. Nor should content mechanics be designed in a way that discourages group play. Make solo content, but also have it support or even encourage group play.

After all of that, I'd just like to say that this is my preference. I'm not saying that Wildstar should bow down to my demands either. I just hope that Wildstar will be a game that is able to support my playstyle to a degree, hopefully much more than current MMOs do. I want the solo players to be supported, as well as the group players, however they go about it. Let the game's design interweave the interactions of these players, have each group work off each other. Allow both sides to easily switch between each play style. Just keep in mind this is an MMO. This isn't a lobby game ala MOBAs and FPSs. This isn't a single player game. I want the game to be a world.

Sorry for my incoherent rant. I'm just a cautious optimist trying to find what makes my love for MMOs tick and trying to find that MMO I can call home. So, uh, game on, I guess?
    Jon, Mudfin, Gempulse and 1 other person like this.
  16. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

I play solo because I have a terrible internet connection, and have minor anxiety attacks when everyone's rushing off while I'm still reading quest text. I have this really weird, debilitating thing where being a hamper to a complete stranger online, even in the slightest sense of the word, has me breaking up the party so they may continue on without my issues.
  17. bitbandit

bitbandit Cupcake-About-Town

I enjoy both group and solo play for very different reasons. Generally I have 2 mains, 1 I mostly solo on, or rather i play at my own pace, and another i level with a guildy/friend to just tear through content. I hope they take a lesson from CoH and have xp bonuses to parties to make it appealing, and PLEASE a sk/scale down system!
    Mudfin likes this.
  18. Elthic

Elthic Cupcake-About-Town

When it comes to questing I really just prefer to do it soloing. I like to take breaks, read quest text, and just take my time with it. When I group with someone most times I feel rushed through parts of the content, and don't get a chance to appreciate the content. Its also a pain when the person I am questing with doesn't have matching quests in a particular area. Either the person is missing some, or I have already completed some of the quests. It just seems like a chore most of the time.

However that stuff is just for questing. I really enjoy dungeons with friends, and even random people. Depending on the game this is my favorite part usually. It allows me to meet new people, and possibly find new guildies or a new guild for myself.

One thing I do kind of miss is forced grouping to level. FFXI was my first mmo, and in this game you had to find 6 people to group with, and a decent comp in that group in order to level. While, it was a pain to find a group, it allowed you to find a lot more people in the community. The community was very strong in that game.
  19. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

I found trying to level alongside friends to be a nightmare one that the primary means of mitigating was I would have a alt for that purpose. Different play schedules, horrible drop quests where one player gets more or often worse all of the quest drops while others get little to none until the "primary" looter is finished, the inability to "share" certain quests, being at different points in a quest chain, not being able to accuratly track your group mates progression with a specific quest, silly + group XP but split so still less Xp in total rubbish.

Hell even GW2 which addressed some of these issues with things like downkicking and the majority of quests being public still had issues like not being able to tell if members of your group had completed a renown heart or how far they had progressed with one. Specific renown vendors only allowing you to purchase the rewards from that specific vendor instead of offering everything from every heart you had unlocked was a pet peeve of mine.

I think it's just difficult to incentivise people to group for content that is so much easier to just solo except for those rare occasions where either the stars align and you are all actually benefiting more or less equally or where one or more are willing to put themselves out to help others and the people in need of the help are comfortable with that. While I don't mind helping people out for no other reason than to help others I know it annoyed me when I didn't recieve commesurate reciprication and even when willing to provide such for people who hlped me I didn't really like taxing other peoples play time with things that were of no use to them.
  20. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

Think all my reasons have been covered already (some nice insights in the thread too) but here goes:

I will always be ready to group up and help players I respect and get along with.
    People that constantly whine/ask for help+items and give nothing in return/take assistance for granted/etc do not fall into that category :p

For levelling I tend to level solo in most MMO's simply because of the differences in playing time between me and my usual group of friends, I have an alt I'll keep at their pace and level that with them unless we've all taken time off work to level.
    If there's a group of like-minded guildies/friends or whatever that have similar playing style then I enjoy levelling as a group. It's also really nice to hit all the dungeons/instances + group quests on the way up at the correct level.

Other than that I'll mostly solo simply because, as already stated, it tends to be a hassle to group with players of a different playstyle due to issues with people not collecting the same quests/not staying to help the group finish collection quests after they are done/generally not playing as a cohesive team.
    When I'm solo I can be as efficient as I like or, if I see something interesting, I can go and waste time 'dicking around' without worrying about impeding others playing experience.

For elder game it depends if there are any guild activities scheduled. If nothing planned and no one needs help it just depends on my mood - sometimes I like to solo (either finishing up quests, materials farming, crafting or exploring or whatever) and other times I like to group (preferably with guildies but I'll PuG it on my main at times).

I'll always be on the guild voice comms when playing though so even when 'soloing' I tend to be chatting/joking around with others doing a similar thing so I'm still being social and at hand if needed.