1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

65% of players tend to play solo

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by VooDoo, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Rogosh

Rogosh Cupcake-About-Town

I think even the dynamics of group play have been to dumbed down. There is no reason to group or create a perma grind group. Take wow 5 man dungeons heroic or otherwise, so easy anyone can do it. Take Everquest, 6 man dungeon group, crowd control was a must. Most games today, crowd control is for pvp not for group environments.

The art of the split pull, why did this ever have to happen? Well because the trash mobs hit so hard you had to split or crowd control one or 2 npcs while you defeated another. Only bosses give the fear of death in any current mmo, everything is just pull pull until you get to the boss.

Rift started off right, then its dungeons became more of the same.

Open instanced dungeons are a lost art, dungeons where more then just 1 group of players could be running it at the same time. This goes hand in hand with linked npc groups, npcs can only be attacked by your group once engaged. Getting rid of linked npcs would bring back trains and the above mentioned split pulling.

When a game goes back to the style of dungeons Everquest had then you will see a reason for grouping. Until this happens keep enjoying lame solo play with no fear of death. Dynamic events like Rifts well rifts and GW2s events do give me hope for the genre, would be nice to see Wildstar having these events as well.
    Venion, John, Allarielle and 3 others like this.
  2. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

I tend to play solo, although I can join up to do random dungeons etc, for the most part I struggle to maintain solid relationships because of my anxiety and paranoia.
  3. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

*sniffs* I think I love you...preach on, brother! :up:
  4. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I prefer grouping because I love interacting with other people, but there are lots of times when I just want relax and chillout and go do something on my own for a bit.
  5. Gray

Gray Podcaster

There have been some interesting ideas behind how to limit group experience and the like. I really dislike the entire idea behind the mechanic. I get it to a certain extent: The more of you = the easier it is and therefore we have to nerf you somehow.

I'm not feeling it though. I wish group experience was designed in a way to buff the intake. Promoting people forming up quest parties and the like. I get the other drawback too, collection quests are simply not as fun when everyone else has to pick up the same amount. Similar to Siega's point on experience, I think it'd be nifty if players grouped up near each other all got credit for the items and the ones still hanging out in the base are left out.

I see no reason why someone who is grouped 100% of the grind from 1 - level cap should have to suffer for it.

As for when I solo:
    It's typically when I'm on really late and hammered drunk. :oops:
    JarNod likes this.
  6. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

Adding more "elite" missions into areas tends to form groups up a lot more, which I think works.
  7. Feliun

Feliun Cupcake

I tend to play solo as IMO I get things done faster, don't know why, but i just seam to advance faster by myself, I'm the sort of person that just likes to get on! But I do group when I can if there is someone around doing the same thing, or for dungeons etc...
  8. Optimisticnerd

Optimisticnerd Cupcake-About-Town

A big reason why people tend to play solo is because it's slower that way. In a game like WoW for example, it severely holds you back when you group while leveling.

Just to give you a scope of how much it slows you down: When MoP came out I made a bet with my friends that I could out level them and make it to level 90 way before they do. They grouped up, a group of three, and I went solo, their argument was that they can kill stuff way faster, but mine was that they would also need to collect 3x the amount of items for collection quests. By the time they were 86 I was half way through level 87. I had pretty much a 8 hours lead on them, when we started at the same exact time.

People don't play solo just because people don't play as much as them. I know plenty of people that play games just as much as I do, I talk to them constantly and at time we're even leveling at the same zones, and might even be on the same quests. We still won't group up. It's all because it's slower that way.

People should feel encouraged to group up with their friends to do a quest, not discouraged. In WoW grouping with one of your friends means cutting your experience from monster kills in half. It just shouldn't be that way! Though it's easier to kill something with two people, that doesn't mean you should be penalized for it.

Rather, I think that if you group up with someone, you should be REWARDED. Not only that, but the reward should increase for how many people in your group. For example, when you group up with 1 person you should not get your XP cut in half, but instead gain a 10% xp bonus (not applied to xp earned by quest turn-in) and the bonus increase for another 10% with each person in your group.

Another point to touch on is collection quests, like for example when the quest amounts to "go find 10 boxes in the forest"... These shouldn't even exist. Or rather, if they do exist, they shouldn't despawn after you use them. Using WoW as an example once more (I am so sorry... I haven't played any other games!) the quests you get are something like, kill 10 bears and wolves, and while you're at it collect 10 boxes. These two quests are designed to be done at the same time, and take just the same amount of time to complete. What this means is that if you have 2 people (you and your friend) you have to instead collect 20 boxes, 3 people is 30 boxes, it's effectively multiplying the time needed to complete the quest by the number of people in your party. It's dumb.

The only time you are compelled to group up is when it's absolutely necessary to defeat something such as an elite. That takes 5 minutes, and you disband immediately and go solo again after the quest is done. That isn't encouraging group play, that is just adding a speed bump.

TL;DR: People don't play solo because they're loners or "my friend doesn't play as much as me", they play solo because they are penalized for it.
  9. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

They reward you for teaming up now in swtor with extra experience I believe.
  10. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

I haven't played many MMOs, but none of them were Everquest :p.

What was it about Everquest's dungeons that made them so much better for grouping? This whole 'pulling' thing is all I have ever known! :eek:
  11. Jon

Jon Cupcake

QFT!
  12. Jon

Jon Cupcake

My fault - I thought if grouping would be fun out of itself it would not need better incentives than solo play. To each its own I thought.:rolleyes:
  13. Rogosh

Rogosh Cupcake-About-Town

Well in EQ you would not pull everything and aoe, you would split pull large packs avoid roamers and other groups' pulls with your monk, Sk or whoever was tasked at being your puller. The fact that you had to deal with respawns and other groups made the dungeons a lot of fun.
  14. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Oh I see. :eek:

Personally, I'm not a fan of respawns, though. :p As soon as you put a timer on something, it becomes kinda un-fun for me :p. I like dungeons to be challenging, but in other ways. ^___^
  15. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Ay, we had monks and shadowknights tag teaming pulls in raids. Those were the days.
    Rogosh likes this.
  16. John

John "That" Cupcake

I don't know where the data for that 65% number came from, but I would be willing to bet WoW players make up a large portion of the sample.

Players will always take the path of least resistance and most efficiency to reach their goal, whether that be in raids, questing or anything else. Its no surprise if you look at most modern MMOs (wow in particular) that players 'prefer solo', because going solo is generally the easiest way to get what they want due to how those games are designed.

Conversely if you were to redesign WoW so it was harder and grouping was more important, I bet you would see a much smaller number of players who prefer solo play.

Id like to see content (even questing) be fairly hard, hard enough that you have to struggle a little bit to do it solo and there is a decent chance you can die. Grouping up has a tangible benefit in terms of speed and ease, but content is still doable by players who truly do prefer the solo route.
  17. Teerack

Teerack Cupcake-About-Town

Because other people slow you down, and usually the things you get solo make you cooler than other people.

I cant even tell you how much time I wasted getting the archaeology mouth, or rivendare's death charger, or the insane, etc.
  18. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

But that is exactly it.

The result of whatever research shows that 65% people tend to solo more. Nothing about them prefering it. They could be grouping 49% of their time, or they could be grouping 70% of the time, but the solo time feels like it takes more time, than it does.

All in all, unless we learn something about the specifics for how they came to the result, it can be contrued to mean anything.
    JarNod and Yakzan like this.
  19. Blayden

Blayden New Cupcake

I don't know if there are any statistics on it but for me I started MMO's and played with friends I knew. As they dropped away from the games I played I just tended to solo rather than get into formalized groups with strangers (I still PUG battlegrounds and open group quests happily though). One of the things that changed for me is that I liked the open endedness and economy of MMO's rather than single player games that had an "end" to them. Basically, its more fun to me to solo in an MMO since my time spent benifits me for years rather than just until I reach the end of the game.

Maybe there should be a poll sometime about the number of people who solo MMO's now instead of playing single player RPG's beacuse MMO's are updated and don't end until the servers are shut down.
    Jon likes this.
  20. John

John "That" Cupcake

Great point. Even if you play solo, you are still apart of the larger world, and all the communal things that go with it. I think just the fact that other people are around is still appealing even for solo players.
    Jon likes this.