1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

65% of players tend to play solo

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by VooDoo, Feb 15, 2013.

1. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

Lots of aspects of mmos work to discourage grouping. Levels, quests, tagging. It's one of the fundamental paradoxes of mmos. Think about it you will find almost every aspect makes it harder to group with people.
  2. John

John "That" Cupcake

True that those things discourage grouping, but they can also encourage competition, which while not grouping, is still a type of social play.
  3. 3seed

3seed Cupcake

Sometimes a person plays solo because then they're in the mood to get away from things, to poke around, and not have to deal with the weight of other people's expectations.

Personally, I prefer to group, since it makes for a more interesting interaction with the game world, but there are times when the above is true too.
  4. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Competition is fine, but not when it's something that's lame like needing to grab X number of buckets in a certain area, then someone faster then you grabs them all, making you need to wait for them to respawn.

MMOs are, ironically, usually an inherently solo experience (most players would be playing alone in their home, though they may be with a group in-game). The genre just lets you feel part of a greater whole.

Given this, it makes sense to encourage cooperation instead of competition, since a sense of community is the reason why we play MMOs. Guild Wars 2 understood this, and they made many decisions I felt were successful; such as everyone in the area contributing to whatever 'quest' you're on, individual loot, and even no factions (all races in the game are allies, if shaky ones).

That last point - the 'no faction' one could be controversial, but I feel that it's actually one of GW2's strengths. Everyone (well, at least everyone on your server :p) felt like one big family. Compare to Wildstar where if I really want to be Exile on my Main but my friends are in the Dominion, it's kind of a bummer! I can't do both unless I make two characters, but that's an issue for those of us without as much free time as we used to have.

With no factions, you also don't have to worry about faction imbalance. Even though Carbine is doing their best to create races in both factions to appeal to all sorts of players, faction imbalance is still a distinct possibility.

Honestly, part of me wishes that Wildstar also did the whole all-races-as-allies thing, but I can understand the reasons for the two-faction split. :geek:
  5. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

Do they? I really doubt level as they are done in mmos support a competition. It's not hard to get people to work with each other. Most of the time two people will naturally group unless the game pushes them apart.
    Rogosh likes this.
  6. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

Yup, exactly. I solo most of the time in, say, Lotro nowadays, doesn't mean I prefer to. That's just how the game is designed/how it plays atm. GW2 on the other hand I am very often doing things with others, bc of the way dynamic events are designed, how frequent they are, how many players are in the same areas, etc.
    Yakzan likes this.
  7. Jon

Jon Cupcake

I bet you would see a much smaller number of players overall...
    There is a reason WoW is much more successfull than Everquest II which were released nearly at same date.

That´s not true. For example, I tend to be introvert - I tend to play solo as long as the game does not force me to do different.
    But solo play does not mean I do not like other people around - I just do not like the formal groups. Because of that I do like the systems of GW2 in that regard.

GW2 does not get me because of that. I do believe I miss an opposite faction because an enemy forges a "we-feeling". That´s well known in psychology.

<Mod Monocle> Merged three posts into one. Please try to avoid triple posting, it can drive people mad. >_> </Mod Monocle>
  8. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

feel no connection to the community in GW2, it feels like one big zerg and you don't feel anything in particular to fighting your enemy as you don't know who they are.
    Rogosh, John and Yakzan like this.
  9. FluidD

FluidD Cupcake-About-Town

Personally I play solo for probably 95% of my leveling experience. After I level and its time for end game I do a lot of grouping. I wonder if things like that are incorporated into the numbers.
  10. Jon

Jon Cupcake

11. Yushi

Yushi Cupcake

Here's one thing I think that's beeing completely overlooked. Before 2004, Soloing in MMO's was nearly impossible or not recommended. Why? mostly because questing didnt exist much and lvling mostly consisted of grinding mobs over and over.

The genre has gain in popularity. MMO's now is a multi million player genre, while by 2000, it was mostly a played by a few 100k players.

When i played RO, i needed to party to play. My friendlist was huge and full. Now, i usually don't care about the friend list, maybe adding only a handful of people.

The MMO genre has tried to change. End-game never really existed prior to WoW because people never really manage to make it to the ''max'' level. Even then, if I had the numbers, i wouldn't be suprised by the number of people didn't make it max level in Vanilla WoW. It was streamed lined, but not enough by release for what we might consider standard as today.

If it wasn't for the MMO veteran who would grind to the 90's in L2 and max in RO and Everquest, to show the end content was there. I think WoW wouldn't of kicked off like it did.

I love to show this video, because for myself & many other people, it's the video that sold WoW in Vanilla stage. : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsXs5N0uBDU

Nowadays, game have focus on the solo content and not on the end-game. The best example are TOR & GW2. While they've done great job at making leveling and solo content fun, they missed the whole fundamental of the MMO genre which has been grouping.

I might not have many people that agree with me, but the MMO genre has always been a group genre type of game, and trying to remove that is like trying to change how chess is played.
    Kataryna, Rogosh, Wreck and 3 others like this.
  12. Blayden

Blayden New Cupcake

[quote="I might not have many people that agree with me, but the MMO genre has always been a group genre type of game, and trying to remove that is like trying to change how chess is played.[/quote]

I don't think anyone has suggested removing grouping from MMO's but instead that the playstyles that make up an MMO community have evolved over time. Soloers just arent the odballs in MMO's that we used to be.

I solo most of the time but when any of my real life friends or family are in a game I love to group with them. I played WoW for a long time not beacuse it was my favorite game out there but beacuse it was the common ground where I could meet up with family and friends, but that still offered plenty for me to do solo for the rest of the time.
    InnocentCivilian and SiegaPlays like this.
  13. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Can I multi-like this?
    Kataryna and Wreck like this.
  14. CaptainElzo

CaptainElzo New Cupcake

Like for many, the main factor for me is time.
    I simply don't have as much time for games as I used to. I never know, how long or when I will be playing a game.
    Sometimes I don't play for days.
    For that reason, Guilds are usually out of the question for me. Sure there are some guilds that wouldn't mind taking not so active members on board, but I wouldn't be able to keep up with them and in the end would just talk to them via Guild Chat and maybe do a few RP sessions (if I'm online when they happen).

I used to join PuG's quite a lot, but do that less and less these days too. Mainly due to some really rude people who either don't behave and/or ruin the fun for others on purpose by doing silly things.
    Now I have a thick skin and don't get upset really, still feels like wasted time if you couldn't finish thr group content because you are being sabotaged.
    Jon likes this.
  15. Evgen88

Evgen88 Cupcake-About-Town

I'm pretty sure those 65% of people play solo sometimes, or regularly
    I do and I like teaming up! The problem I have is trying to find people to play with that want to do what I am doing. I like leveling alts, and being in Japan made it hard to find a regular group to play with in past games. Mostly due to bad choices in choosing servers.
    I have had as many good experiences with PUGs as bad myself. I'm an understanding guy, so unless someone is being rude on purpose I can deal with it. I can handle inexperienced or bad players . . . to a point XD
  16. Cheveyo

Cheveyo New Cupcake

I like soloing because sometimes I don't want to deal with other people. I'd still like to be around my friends while doing something I want to do. What I want to do isn't always what everyone else wants to do. So why drag anyone else along?
    I'm good just chatting with friends and occasionally grouping with them.

I don't think that's what it is.
    MMOs are easier to play through in a group. You can burn through quests faster. Which means you get XP, money and gear faster. In a group you can face tougher content, and do so with less resistance.

Then there are PvP servers where soloing is highly inadvisable, since you'll probably just get ganked over and over.

MMOs encourage grouping and in some cases force it on you if you want to get anywhere.
  17. CaptainElzo

CaptainElzo New Cupcake

I agree with most of the things you said, except this bit.
    I don't think that developers are trying to remove the group content. They admittedly do though concentrate way much more on solo content then group content these days.

Because more MMO players play solo then group content these days and MMO’s have become a quite pricey development process, most developers are forced to concentrate on solo content. They have to make money after all.
    We all agree that WoW really introduced a completely different type of gamers to MMO’s and it made the MMO genre very popular for all the good and bad things it brought us.
    Yes, it means that for many oldtimers MMO’s aren’t what they used to be, but it also means that we get games that otherwise would have never existed.
    I doubt there would have been a WildStar if there was no WoW.

I can just hope that Carbine is going to cater the group players (like you) as well, as they plan to cater the solo gamers (like me, but I do like to group as well).
  18. Saza

Saza Cupcake

I largely level solo (or in a duo with my fiance) in MMOs. I like grouping up at max level, but before that I just want to learn my class and go exploring. In most games running off to a random spot of the map which has no possibility of giving a reward doesn't entice most people, so when I'm grouping I have to change my play style. There is just something about always having the option to group up with others and seeing so many around that draws me to MMOs even when a lot of my experience in MMOs has nothing to do with the massive aspect of them.

There is one other reason I like to postpone my grouping as much as possible, which is the unfriendly part of the MMO community. I can only listen to so much chatter about how awful my gender is before I'm done with wanting to cooperate with anyone for awhile. It is just nicer sometimes to put your head down and go about your own way.
    Loveless and InnocentCivilian like this.
  19. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

It was touched on somewhere earlier in this thread... or maybe another. It's early, cut me some slack!

But, I'd like there to be less of a disconnect between the idea that you solo to cap, and then group from that point on. Carbine is addressing one side of that with adding solo elder game. But I'd also like to see more group leveling content.

Perhaps there are... entire open world zones that are far too risky for a solo or duo to venture there, and if you'd like to see what they're about, then grab some numbers and head on in. I think that would really help redefine danger and adventure in the open world. No recent games have really created this sense that I can recall, since everything is so focused on solo accessibility while leveling.

These zones would be optional of course, but it would give those who enjoy leveling in groups a meaningful way to do some of that, and content made for them instead of steamrolling "solo" mobs in the regular zones!
  20. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

For the most part, I am the exact same! I level solo (or with my boyfriend - if he can keep up!) and take time to learn my class well. I like to participate in the dungeons though that become available to you as you level, so as to help learn how to respond in a group setting as my particular class (plus, they're just a lot of fun).

It's funny -- the way you describe how you like to do a bit of exploring in places many people don't venture and then need to change your play style when grouped with others -- it really makes me think of the PS3 game Journey. (Any other Journey fans understand what I mean?) I love that games can almost change so dynamically based on whether you're playing alone or if you're with someone else or a group of people. I know exactly what you mean when you said you enjoy seeing others around and always having that option of being able to group with them, even if you don't frequently take advantage of it! I have that same sort of feeling towards MMOs. :)

It's always disappointing and upsetting to me that there are people out there who can destroy communities with their attitudes and remarks, especially when it's based on nothing other than prejudices. I've experienced a lot of what you're referring to in regards to being hounded for being female in the game League of Legends (since my username is Syren Song Spell, and I think that doesn't exactly scream manly). The people that play that game can just be awful. :down: (It is a bit satisfying though pwning their butts afterward.) It just boggles my mind that people can be so cruel to women who play video games, and yet, at the same time, guys also find girls who play games sexy. So, which is it, boys? :mad:
    Jon, Loveless and Saza like this.