1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

A DPS Engineer's place in RDPS endgame

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by calcifer, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Exosirus

Exosirus New Cupcake

I haven't been able to play the game yet but one point I might not have read here is quite a few long range if not all the moves for an engineer seem to be mobile where other long range class's have to stand still and in a raid environment with lots of telegraphs forcing you to move I can see why carbine makes that 5% difference. Not to mention if a dps engineer is able to off tank a small amount of ads to help a group of people in the raid.

One question I was concerned about is if the engineer gets boring, the only two moves I generally see streamers use it that very long range electric charge move (forgive me I don't know the name) and a move that seems to look like a aoe shot gun ability that shoots about 3-4 times. This could also be because I haven't seen an engineer above level 25.

Also if any of this is hard to read I apologize as I'm writing from my phone at work.
  2. Vors

Vors New Cupcake

Wouldn't downtime be the big difference.

If you can take more damage can afford to let 1 more ability off before moving.
    Where as a light armor class you have to move so often to avoid damage that you don't have as much time to get your attacks in.

I mean if you are running out of a giant red circle straight away because you can hardly afford to take even 1 hit you won't be able to aim and fire off your ability during that time.
  3. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

I think a full dps Engineer won't have too much of a problem going head to head with Espers/Spellslingers. While the Esper/Spellslinger may potentially do 5% more damage, in reality, the Engineer will be on par with them given the duration of the whole instance.
    This is because, your dps engineer can actually be built more mobile than the other ranged classes. While Espers and Spellslingers both would have to rely on some stationary attacks for optimal dps, as an engineer you can be completely mobile going down the physical damage route and even the tech damage route, and lots of your damage will be rather automated (on crit, on hit, etc, you don't have to specifically manage). As a physical damage dps for example, your spam, your on-crit, your CD, and your volatility skill are all mobile, two of them instant cast, 2 of them without CD (3 if you count on-crit). As long as you manage your volatility and be mindful of procs/debuff/buff, it is really steady and sustained dps. While the other two classes both can run into major problems if there's an emergency, there's nothing preventing an engineer from constantly doing near-optimal damage. So in the long run, this will show.