1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

A LFG Circle

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Katu_Kath, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

As a lot of people seem against the LFG tool, and with the new community uplink talking about Circles being like mini guilds, how would you all feel about a LFG Circle? With dedicated chat channels, it would allow us to form groups while still doing other things, as we wouldnt have to sit in town spamming general chat. With Rosters, you could see if anyone of equal level was on and ask them if they want to party, and just generally chat with other people all over the server. And then lastly, if you cant form a group with it, you could fall back on the LFG tool, and try to recruit more people to the circle. As long as there isnt a very small cap for characters, I think this would help.
    Joukehainen and Alverad like this.
  2. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

that sounds interesting enough, but really I think all some of us want is an LFD tool that does everything current LFD tools do, EXCEPT, group us with people on other servers and port us to the instance. I think the rest of the system is fine really.

there does seem to be a faction of people who want to be able to pick and choose and not be autogrouped, and while I definitely appreciate that, I think if they just use the ignore list or create a no-group list, that is all that would be needed, imo.
  3. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

When I was on Chromaggus Server in wow during part of BC there was a channel called /endgame that higher tier players would use to find groups or occasionally a higher tier guild would run a pug with their alts and look for others to fill in through this channel. You only new this channel existed if someone told you about it or you where lucky enough to stumble upon it. Was really useful when trying to find a solid tank, or healer for more difficult content at the time.
  4. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Why couldn't each dungeon have it's own LFG chat channel, along with a general LFG channel? That way they don't interfere with each other or with the general chat, and a person can go directly to the dungeon channel they are looking to join.
    Alverad and SiegaPlays like this.
  5. Acidblood

Acidblood Cupcake-About-Town

Because the is the internet we are talking about, any sort of global (or wide ranging) chat channel will always be misused.

I agree that the LFG Circles are a good idea, and no doubt players will set up their own, but I don't think it really replaces a (good*) LFG tool, as the Circles would still be a relatively small portion of the player base (for good and bad).

*By good a mean a tool that does not do cross-server (unless you specifically request it), does not teleport anyone anywhere, and IMO does not automatically put you in a group, but rather introduces you to others who are also interested in doing the same content.
  6. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah the nice part about the /endgame channel was it was moderated by in game players and guilds so trolling was dealt with pretty quickly and on a much harsher policy then the usual general chat system. Most general chats and LFG channels get flooded with miss use because a gm can't sit and stare at chat all day.
  7. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

Sadly I don't see LFG channel making a comeback. It existed in the exact context the OP mentioned during WoW vanilla and BC, and technically even exists to this day. However it is a shining example of the mantra, "People are lazy." It exists, still dedicated to /4 channel by WoW default but because of the LFG it's a ghost town.

The only way to deal with LFG is to make something more practical, such as the mostly praised "my server only" button
  8. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I kind of like the idea about LFG Circles. It's something new and unique to Wildstar. Same thing for custom channels and inviting people you like to team with. Especially considering how I usually run in the opposite direction from guilds. Even though I like to play with other people because I prefer more supporty classes to just damage ones.

Usually one of the first things I do with a game is turn off general chat or at least hide it behind other tabs. There's just so much abuse of it.

Does anyone remember how many Circles we could be a part of at once?
  9. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

Currently one guild and five circles, Domi Dayglow
  10. SituationSoap

SituationSoap Cupcake-About-Town

If W* launches without a true LFG tool a la WoW or SWTOR, it will be added within six months of release. It's simply too popular a tool to avoid adding for any significant length of time.
  11. Classix

Classix Cupcake

While I agree its a popular tool, I wish it was never invented it makes people worse players. Remember when you had to actually talk to your group in a dungeon? or let alone actually walk instead of instant teleportation? If not I pity you. As frustrating as it was to be ganked by higher level mobs or players some of those runs were by far the most entertaining.

I feel circles can allow you to do a lot of the content except for the harder raids. Normally you will not be as organized as a tight knit guild that is serious about PvP or PvE. You might think you are and who knows you might be, though my personal experience has been you aren't. Some of the players might be only casual players, severely under-geared, and inexperienced on the bosses mechanics. Then there's the whole raid leadership business, who's going to be in charge and how calm can they keep their voice when you wipe for the 10th time. Which brings me to communication. It's key so in your circle anyone unwilling to download vent and other will probably die and or something awful. All in all I see Raids being the biggest hurdle/tests for the circles.

As for guilds joining together with a circle its possible but unlikely to help as it may make even more drama and problems. Most of guilds that do it look for possible recruits. Their main goal may be skewed into attracting a promising recruit rather then clearing the content.

The hardcore raider guilds probably won't. They train and gear them and make sure they actually listen to directions, there is a lot of teamwork, so filling in the spots with people they hardly know is unlikely. Plugging is possible, but usually the very last resort. What I do like about WS's combat is it already ingrains raid mechanics into its everyday combat. If its enough to make everyone into a raider will yet to be seen.
  12. SituationSoap

Walking to a dungeon is orthogonal to player skill. The fact that people think these two things are somehow related makes me really sad, because there's literally nothing that's a bigger waste of time in a dungeon than walking to it.
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  13. Classix

Classix Cupcake

I said LFG makes people worse players. What makes a worse player? Skill? anyone can click buttons. Attitude, disorganization, impatience and ignorance make bad players. Maybe they are good at soloing, but this is a MMO. Being able to listen and use Teamwork makes a good player at least in my eye as a 1%er. So yes, getting to know the world map, organizing a group, and communicating with your team BEFORE you even step into the dungeon makes a better player in my eyes then someone who can just click a button.

That just sums up everything I would tell you.

-Now back to the actual topic of circles please.
  14. Vunak

Vunak Cupcake-About-Town

Maybe not personal skill, but when teams/groups of players are able to work together it beats out personal skill any day of the week. Having to communicate with your team mates to organize directly affects a groups success. If what we read was true from Mizpah's article of Arkship EU, we can pretty much determine that the dungeons and even more so the raids are gonna be no walk in the park.

Communication is going to be key. Who do you think is gonna have a more attuned feeling for groups and working together? The guy that has been anonymously LFGing his entire career or the guy that has experienced having to work with a group on multiple levels because it was pretty much required.

I'm going with the latter. So is walking to a dungeon tied to personal skill? No. Is it tied to team work and communication, it can be depending on the situations that occur along the way to the dungeon.
    Alverad, Classix and Joukehainen like this.
  15. SituationSoap

Huh? If all the dungeons in W* are difficult, then there isn't going to be anyone who's been anonymously LFGing his/her whole career. It seems like you're trying to argue that the dungeons are going to be hard enough that you're going to want to avoid the LFG queue to form groups for them, and you might be right about that. The thing is, forming your own group has nothing to do with walking to the dungeon. I could have the best group in the world, and walking to the dungeon won't make us better. I could have the worst group in the world, and teleporting to the dungeon won't make us any worse. That's why I say it's orthogonal -- it's unrelated. Travel time isn't a measure of anything except time wasted before you start doing the thing you actually want to do.
  16. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

Lotro's LFG chat channel on my server is still functional and well-used despite the DF tool, and doesn't get spammed until around 3-4am server time (though sadly the game isn't much worth playing anymore). But I agree, it needs to be regulated somehow. Putting people who misuse the channel grievously on ignore can work well to alleviate this, I've noticed in games it's usually "that group" in LFG chat spamming it up with random trolling and such.

GW2 has no DF tool and no LFG chat, people use the mapchat and /says outside the dungeon entrance to get groups, plus a unofficial site for finding groups that has listings with the intentions of the run (farm run, story run, LF1M, etc.). It's quite nice. :)
  17. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> Wait a sec, I've seen this line of discussion before in I believe, two other threads. Could people please stop derailing different semi-related threads with the same discussion? Thank you.

This thread is about a LFG circle, so keep the topic to that. </Mod Monocle>
  18. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Back on track everyone! I for one will have a roster of LFGers in a circle. I think that forming the group ahead of time and travelling to the dungeon allows for something the tool does not. It is helpful for group cohesion and building relationships, also possible open world events. I don't think this type of gameplay is for everyone or the "correct" way to play, but I find it more fun. Also, in the end if you get a bunch of people who like playing together, you end up saving time by not even having to queue. This is a long term advantage. Another is that you can eventually say to your team that you want to start an outpost near an enemy's major city, who wants to come? And people actually respond instead of crickets or "That sounds like a lot of fun, and I would but I'm too busy grinding <bleh>"

Btw anyone who's along the same line, I'm working on building a community on this, so check out the thread in my sig.

Check out the thread in my sig cookie monster, I think you'd be interested.
  19. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

People are not against LFG tools. Some are against specific types of LFG tools, some against the implementation, some do not believe other types of LFG tools will get used because, well, they never really were in other games, and some dislike the fallback lfg chat spamming.

Personally I do hope there is a regular lfg chat rather than a "playerofficial" LFG circle, and that it is attached directly to a (open world group) LFG window. Actually, I hope people can only post to it using that LFG window and they can not hit send more than once every other minute.

Could be nice if there were people, who were into running a "Pay it Forward LFG Circle" for new elder gamers. So if 4 "vets" shows you the ropes, when you hit elder games, you commit yourself to show a minimum of 4 new elder gamers the ropes too at some point, when you can help make it easier - and without being a jerk about mistakes or being the catalyst of turning people off the game.

I have no doubt there will be something similar to playermade LFG circles. I suspect we will see multiple of them, most on special invite, and often with elitist moderation for who the owner(s)/guild wants to hang out with or have on "pug waitlist" for their raids.

LFG circles will be part of making smaller communities between guild and server, and depending on intend, they can either help binding the community together or divide the server community into a caste system.
  20. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

You bring up an interesting thought in that LFG Circles could actually close off the community more. I think every person on the server doesn't need to have a "positive" relationship with everyone else on the community though. Let me explain what I mean by that before it flies off the handle. By positive I mean that everyone doesn't have to want to be in the same group. Healthy communities will also strive on competition in other words. You don't need to hate eachother, but being rivals can be a good thing.

As you mentioned, it is important for servers to be connected vertically instead of laterally, in that caste systems create barriers in communities, while vertical systems create bridges in communities. Vertical systems will align with ideals of gameplay and worldviews as well as timezones, which if the communities within the servers are too rigid in allowing players to cross them, it can cause hatred instead of friendly banter.

So, LFG Circles could be the perfect way to do this, especially if some players are picky with who they play with based on ideals and not based on skill level. I'm torn between inviting anyone I see to my party, because I want to go with the explorer path and stalker. This generally would put me in places not everyone would see, and be able to bypass combat when I feel like it. I usually start any game as a rogue and get the tunnel vision of getting to places by trying to bypass combat as much as possible. If you see me in the game and I'm doing this, PLEASE INVITE ME TO YOUR PARTY SO YOU CAN STOP ME!