1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

a story/question for the tech savy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Frozenoak, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Frozenoak

Frozenoak Founding Member

Once upon a time, Frozen bought a computer. It had the latest greatest technology. In addition to the i7 processor and boatloads of ram it had two hard drives. One hard drive was a 60 gig drive ment to house all the programs and operational software. The other drive was a 2 terabite drive ment to house all the data. Today Frozen has a 60 gig hard drive that is chock-a-block full of iTunes (and other) data and is wondering why it's not on the other drive where it belongs and how to get it there without messing up his iTunes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
    dale
  2. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

Once upon a time, Autumnal became very jealous of Frozenoak...

I'm going to go out on a limb, and guess the 60 gig , where your OS is is your Boot drive. An operating system will look at your terabyte (oh, how I despise you! ) drive as "additional" memory.

By default, unless otherwise specified, almost all programs will install and/or download content to the "boot" drive, (much less of an issue with today's vast memory architectures).

Since all your iTunes (& Stuff) are already local on your (C: ) drive, you can usually just copy/paste/otherwise move your content (but not programs, since they're tied up in your registry paths and dll's) to your Terabyte (D: ? ) drive, and simply re-point your iTunes software to your media library's new location.

"Theoretically".
  3. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

Personally, the only thing I install on a boot drive is the OS. In a dual-drive system I install software onto the second drive and insure the default data paths point there as well.

I must admit, I have not bought a multi-drive system for about ten years now. All of my current systems have single drives. Partitions and multiple drives just got to be too much of a pain in the neck to manage and with modern systems the theoretical speed improvement is measured in nanoseconds anyway.
  4. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I no longer use multiple drives to install things on, I have one single drive. I will sometimes put a second drive from my previous computer in to copy stuff over and then that drive is basically unused or used very little. Even the SSDs are a waste to me, sure you save some boot time and initialization of programs, but once initialized you do not save much time as most of it is run from memory at that point unless swapping is occurring.

As far as your question goes, there is a setting in iTunes that allows you to put your music in the path you specify. It has been a while since I have looked and I don't have iTunes installed at the moment, but there is a setting somewhere that allows you to move it. As far as moving the songs, you can backup the songs and export the playlist, the import the playlist and songs back into the player when the destination folder is changed.