1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

A visitor from the Firefall Community!

Discussion in 'Personal Introductions' started by SgtMad, Jan 12, 2013.

?

Is there much interaction between the devs and the community?

1. we're one happy family, who love sharing their dirty secrets

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. only the official way, we don't know each other THAT good

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. devs? don't know such pokemon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SgtMad

SgtMad New Cupcake

Greetings, my dear ladies and gentleman!
    You can call me Mad, and I'm an old beta tester of Firefall the game and an active community member. I find Wildstar(WS) and Firefall(FF) to be extremely similar to each other- how?
    1. Well the forums are definitely created on the same engine/program
    2. both games are in beta stages
    3. both games seem to be VERY promising!
    And indeed, WS cought my eye the first time i saw it announced as mmohuts choice of the most anticipated game of 2013 (FF was on the list too :p). Innovative gameplay, beautiful artstyle etc... in other words - I got hooked up the same way i did with FF, so I decided to find the forums and see how the community is doing!
    FF has the strongest community I've ever seen in my gaming life, seriously, and close interaction between the devs is a key part to this "Achievement".
    So my question is: how strong the WS community is and is there much interaction between the devs and the community?
    If i find this place to be worth a check, i'll definitely promote WS to the firefall community, so I shall be inspecting these forums for the following weeks, hope i find someone to tell me how things are going 'round here.
    Cheers
  2. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I think I remeber you in the firefall forums .. mad mardy? or something . sorry I wasn't as active there as in here.

welcome to the forums. Also there is a lot of interaction between the Devs and the community on here, on twitter with the #WSUplink etc..

Edit: I see you brought 2 games from the firefall chitchat section lol
  3. SgtMad

SgtMad New Cupcake

Indeed I am MadMardy :p nice to see faces from there and thanks!
    p.s. I just thought off-topic lacked some fun
  4. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Welcome SgtMad, no secrets here I had my guys do intensive background checks on the Carbine Devs. We know everything about them, except what is currently circling around in their noggins of course :( Beta here is in the closed Family and Friends stage, so its more kinda Alpha far as we know.
    Uncle Chad over at Carbine is kinda like the family guy (LMAO at the TV comparison - not intended) member of the family you hear from at Christmas, but never seems to have time to visit :(
    LOL but seriously its a 'better' (IMO) community here, so far there has been a LOT more letting each express their opinion and make their point, without much 'youre wrong' talk backlash from fly posters. While Carbine undoubtably listen to us here and closely involve us in their thought process, they remain a Class A1 team of Devs more than capable of making the 'right' decision on the direction of the game, so Im less worried about WildStar becoming a l33t directed sandbox with continual tweaks and alterations to suit the upper % of players.
    End of the day Im 100% sure Wildstar will be the game I can recommend to newbie and veterans alike as being 'the one' with its content to please every playstyle (including swg decorators 'Forum High Five')
    SgtMad likes this.
  5. SgtMad

SgtMad New Cupcake

Love to hear that, i think i'll make myself feel comfortable here :cool: I have just one more question: who are the community coordinators/prominent members here?
  6. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

I think you'll find that out very quickly just by sticking around. ;)
    SgtMad likes this.
  7. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Welcome to the forum! As others have said the Dev interaction is pretty good and should only get better. :)
  8. qqmoarploxify

qqmoarploxify Cupcake-About-Town

People can actually buy beta accses. Does this mean that anything earned in beta (I.E Gear/levels/items) be transferred to live, sort of like Smite is doing?
  9. Maddog Charlie

For Firefall I think that they have said that they wont reset the XP again so people get to keep their stuff, for founders anyways. But Firefall is Public Beta so lot further down the road than Wildstar ......lemme check the date Beta starts ........oh yeah I dont have that sorry ;)
  10. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

I'm hoping that they have you purchase the game initially. If they do, you almost never see anything substantial earned on live accounts get transferred or granted if you were participating in beta. Only time will tell and hopefully we'll get more information by spring (I'll go camp out Carbine at Pax East in March). Also hoping a beta key would be part of the swag that they hand out at some of the up coming conventions.
  11. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Welcome! Sit back, relax, and enjoy your stay.

To answer the poll, I think there is quite a bit of interaction with the devs.
  12. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Isn't that called hidden pre-release?

I am all for those who both do closed and open beta AND buy the game (depending on business plan, I know) to get to tag their character names before launch as reward, and a founder title for those who buys the deluxe version, but keeping what was made during beta ... feels to me like less of a beta and more of a tentative pre-release if that is an option. Refer to beta whenever something does not work right.

Next step would be to also be able to spend money on the cash shop during beta - for a pre-order, ok, for special vanity items only available during beta and wanted on the live server, passable, but not to unlock content. That would no longer be a beta, but a trial with benefits.

Commenting on games in generel who transfer characters from beta to live, not Firefall in specific. I do not know the game beyond what is posted in this forum.
  13. Maddog Charlie

Yeah I 'think' thats founders and limited Beta testers (not sure) they did reset a couple of times but frankly if they did reset again it would be heck of a grind as there is little to no PVE content at the moment so its all grindy. However if they reset after loading in a heap of PVE content (which apparently they are working on) then Im cool, just some PVP hardcore types may be a little pissed :roflamo:
    Right now its playable and great fun but kind of souless in so much as content, however pretty confident Red5 will get it right after they have the content in and get bugs fixed.
    -Also all the shop content is cosmetic and convienience but there is XP booster available too (different people see that in different ways, guess whether you can afford it or not ?) I see it as convienience.
  14. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Think it is something about some people wanting everyone to have as hard a time as they did 5 years ago, when they levelled themselves :p I regard it as a convenience item, a catch up option in older games. Older games should think in terms of catch up curves, it is one of the things, that makes WoW as popular as it still is, though they use other options to do so, that is not in the cash shops but part of the game (kudos for that).

If it was hard to start as a new player in an old game, it would be better to start in a new game instead - at least from a competitive perspective.

In a new game it would to me look more like a game that is made for endgame only, getting to the finish line first at any cost, so its presence would actually be a deterrent for me, because if the developers finds their own content dull enough to offer options for max speed through, then it is really bad.
    Maddog Charlie likes this.
  15. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

Welcome to the forums you crazy dude! :D
  16. SgtMad

SgtMad New Cupcake

1. Ty tiktak ;)
    2. to clear up the convo: NO, Firefall will never ever again have any kind of wipes. that's a fact.
    And in overall, if anyone's interested in firefall, i'd be more than happy to enlight you + maybe even give yar a beta key ;)
    <--- is wonderring what could be discussed about Wildstar, since as i believe we don't know much about it :/
  17. qqmoarploxify

I'm interested in firefall, so long as it's f2p. Really can't afford another game until WS comes out. How is firefall for PvE? I know it's a fps and more of a PvP game, but would a PvE minded person like myself find the game compelling? I read somewhere that there are no dungeons or raids, but Red5 would be listening to the community and may add some. Do you think they will add raids sometime in the future?

Also, how does the class system work? What different classes are there? Do they have different specs? Are there tanks ,healers, dps or can every class to do everything?
  18. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

Welcome!
  19. SgtMad

SgtMad New Cupcake

Tons a questions out there, will do my best to answer them, if something's not clear, do tell ;)
    1. PvE. Actually, Firefall is more of a Pve game than PvP, and the Pve experience one gets it's absolutely amazing. 70% of the people now never actually play PvP, just because they're satisfied enough with dynamic events (which are as good as raids and even better) and all the other content that red5's giving us (melding pushing, chosen warfront, thumping, quests, etc...), and if you get in any way bored (=impossible), you can always go for some fast-paced pvp, which is also an extremely fun activity. what is more, it's not only Fps, do note that one can easily access 3rd person mode by clicking the middle mouse wheel, and this is what actually people prefer in Pve.
    2. Class system. red5' has made quite a nice decision here. you create one character, and can play ALL the classes (which are called "battleframes") on that one char, without the need to create a whole new guy/gurl. The way it works, is that at first you choose your first battleframe (assault-fast guy flying around with a plasma cannon, biotech - a smelly guy using toxic attacks +support abilities, engy - a guy with a strong hand plasma lazer thingy, works mostly with deployable turrets, shields and stuff like that, Recon - a sniper guy (who can turn invisible!) with a huge a$$ sniper rifle, that works similar to TF2 rifle - it charges up=the long you hold, the bigger the damage and finally - The Dreadnaught. a tank guy with a bada$$ machine gun) and as you progress through quests and killing enemies, you get exp, which you can spend on either your tech tree, or other battleframes. you can easily buy all the battleframes, and what you need to do then - you approach a battleframe station, in switch between your battleframes whenever you want. your exp builds on the battleframe you're wearing, so the xp pool is separated. and no,you do not lose your exp if you change your battleframe :p
    so that's basically how the "class" system works. and i must say it's really, really awesome. Also sawwy, i'm not going to re-read the whole thing - too lazy- so pardon for grammar mistakes and all the shenanigans. any more Qs?

p.s. already started promoting Wildstar in the firefall community.
  20. qqmoarploxify

Sounds like a fun game. Waiting on my beta invite after signing up since I can't afford to pay for instant access. Do you think they will be adding raids? I mean open world content is fun but people enjoy organized PvE and open world isn't like that. It's just not the same as a bunch of friends on vent/skype/TS or whatever, working to beat an encounter and overcome the mechanics. In open world, your actions normally don't have a significant meaning, if you mess up most likely things will go on, whereas in a raiding environment 1 person can mess up the whole thing and your actions really do mean something. Hopefully red5 will add someone instanced group play.