1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Am I a WoW snob?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by The Duck, Jul 3, 2013.

1. The Duck

The Duck New Cupcake

I think my wife and I have a problem. We like to raid together. We like to heroic raid together. We like to crack the 100% mark in WoL, often. We are looking for a Wildstar guild.

I have witnessed a lot of future Wildstar guildleaders talk about their raiding experience. Usually it’s something along the lines of, ”I raided in TBC when it was hard!” That is if they mention WoW at all. I’m calling BS. The best raiders in the world, except for you who are reading this that don’t, play WoW. Heroic mode encounters there are extremely difficult and require a great deal of teamwork. I can only hope that level of difficulty is what we’re looking forward to in Wildstar.

Let me reiterate, two heroic level raiders looking for a qualified guild. My wife is an expert at breaking down WoL data, especially on the fly during progression, and I love implementing addons and addon systems, like Houston(DBM/WeakAuras), to help everyone in the raid out. We break down encounter specifics cross referenced with raid data to give solutions. We solve raid problems.

Are there any guilds out there interested? I should mention that we like to laugh, a lot. Only when appropriate. If you are putting together a Wildstar raiding guild without WoW raiding experience I’d like feedback too, I just don’t know how I could choose your guild. I look forward to the discussion.

Edit: Is there another game with raiding that is close to WoW's? Not the LFR level, the heroic level? Honest question, I'm curious.
    Sassaroth likes this.
  2. Risetta

Risetta New Cupcake

I think you may need to put this post in the guild sections of the forums. Some of us are/were previous WoW raiders who may also tabbed out between boss kills to check WoL :sneaky: I'm guessing you and your wife are both ex wow people too?
  3. The Duck

The Duck New Cupcake

We still play a bit but Wildstar looks like an enormous amount of fun.
  4. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Do you want me to address this ^

Or this^
  5. The Duck

The Duck New Cupcake

You pick, it's really just a litmus test to see what people are thinking.
  6. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I'm also thinking that this should go in the guild section, I'm thinking that the title was a bit attention seeking, and at this stage, I'm thinking that your use of the term heroic raider is probably a stretch.

;)
    Sonntam likes this.
  7. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

I'm personally of the opinion that it's likely a bit far out from release to be able to accurately gauge how well a guild will perform from past experience alone unless they're an already existing guild presently raiding in another game.
    Sonntam likes this.
  8. PatriotBob

PatriotBob Cupcake

WoW snob or not. I do think there is some merit to the points on the difficulty of WoW raiding in vanilla and TBC when compared to WotLK/Cataclysm. (I don't know about the Kung fu panda expansion, never bought it)

It might be nostalgia, might be my own skill progression. But I remember the older content being more challenging mechanically. Where as in WotLK on, I felt that mechanics were straight forward and I was just grinding out the gear to move on.
  9. The Duck

The Duck New Cupcake

Yep, my personal thought is that I need a WoW raiding resume from a guild before I commit. I'm conflicted on this and wanted to at least have a conversation with the community. Mysticjbyrd, I did not see your guild's progression listed. Maybe I missed it or you can help me out, no trolling, I swear.
  10. mysticjbyrd

mysticjbyrd Cupcake-About-Town

It was a joke, you were supposed to click on the last link after diligently working on your app. Thats they way it worked in my head anyways.
    Mellkor likes this.
  11. The Duck

The Duck New Cupcake

Nice try, damnit, now I like you.
  12. The Duck

The Duck New Cupcake

I'd love to have this conversation PatriotBob, I've been raiding in WoW since Molten Core and I have the exact opposite impression of the mechanical difficulty progression of raid fights. You may have different experiences than me though and I'd value your input.
  13. Rizlah

Rizlah Cupcake

I would say that WoW raiding would have some merit in this game but watching that Rezzed gameplay when they show the lvl 30 dungeon. It simple BLOWS wow raids out of the water and its a MID lvl dungeon. Tbh tho im not sure any other games experience can actually help you in this game.
  14. PatriotBob

PatriotBob Cupcake

I'm sure it would be a fun conversation. I can't dismiss the possibility that vanilla was still fairly early into my WoW experience and the raid groups I ran with as time went by did go up in caliber. So that may account for some of my view point.

I will say that the mechanics more recent are interesting and fun. Maybe the problem is more recently I just don't feel as punished for my mistakes.
  15. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

Wrath = AOE everything down

Ugh, that was truly the end for me.
    Kataryna and teh_ninjaneer like this.
  16. Haoli

Haoli Cupcake-About-Town

I'm a little curious, personally. Were you there for TBC? Were you there for the Guildbreaker bosses? M'uru, Archimonde, Kael'thas? Others?

I don't play anymore, having quit after Wrath of the Lich King, but having cleared all of TBC (except for Kil'jaeden, we missed him by a couple days) as current content and all hard modes as 25-man through Trial of the Crusader (after this, my computer at the time died), I would say that TBC raiding was objectively harder content, mechanically.

I'm not able to speak for Cataclysm or MoP raiding---I tried going back, and couldn't stand the combat system after playing other MMOs, no matter how much the rest of the game was polished.

Where in BC our guild would practice for weeks on the harder bosses to perfect the mechanics and get the boss on farm status, in Wrath the average 'heroic' boss took a day or two to first-kill, with the final bosses and a couple outliers (Mimiron was pretty fun.) taking us maybe a week, week and a half.

So, that's my perspective on the 'schism' of sorts in WoW raiding. What exactly are you trying to call 'BS' about?

Because if you're seriously trying to claim that BC raiding wasn't hard, I'm just going to laugh at you.

Really, though, this paragraph is confusing. Can you clear up your intent on what you're trying to say here?

Edit:

In regards to this, but I would say Rift's Hammerknell raid instance was equivalent to 'heroic' level raiding. Bosses would vary between what I saw as WOTLK 'heroic' difficulty and BC-level difficulty. Beyond Hammerknell, I can't say, as I don't play anymore, but Rift had a pretty decent raiding scene when I played.
    Kataryna likes this.
  17. Kasern

Kasern Cupcake

I think you may need to give more information. Region, faction, preferred raid times, perhaps what roles you plan on playing?

As to the how hardcore is hardcore? I raided in WotLK and Cata, but never any heroic raids (were they in Cata? It's been a while and several games since I've played WoW) and I raided in SWTOR and DCUO. The only thing I've ever learned from my raiding experience is that raiders are a minority. A vocal minority but still a minority.

So that said, I personally expect the raids in Wildstar to be challenging for most players but not heroic-level difficulty as you described it. Not at launch anyway.
  18. Kleev

Kleev Cupcake-About-Town

I have yet to find a quality WoW guild that is transitioning to Wildstar in large numbers. I'm afraid we'll have to wait until release is close. I recommend leaving a post in the recruitment section as I have done (link in sig) in case they start poking around.

Good luck.
  19. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

I think the argument that fights were mechanically more difficult is dubious at best. Like I said in the other thread I think the reason fights got 'easier' after TBC was a combination of:
    ~Player skill becomeing more conentrated (in that top 20 guilds clear stuff faster give the illusion people are clearing stuff faster on the whole.)
    ~Gear being better optimised
    ~Classes being better optimised (A MoP Enhance shammy scaled down to 70 would ahnilitate a TBC enhance shammy)
    ~Talents being better optimised
    ~More online resources (like EJ, WoL, Boss strat videos etc)
    ~The introduction of the normal heroic split.
  20. PatriotBob

PatriotBob Cupcake

So... aside from point #1, #5 and arguably #6....
    The raids got easier.
    You can't look at "don't stand in the fire" being a mechanic in both sets and call them equal. If in MoP classes/gear/talents are all better "optimized" allowing for classes to dps more and allow for more stand-in-fire-forgiveness. That makes the mechanic weaker.
    Now admittedly there is some difficulty in the more recent raids, but overall I get the generally feeling of "please don't stand in the fire, it makes the healer angry" rather than what it was earlier "please don't... welp. Better corpse run."
    That is actually probably a lot to do with itemization and class balance. But those changes resulted in raids being more forgiving and by extension. Easier.