1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Am I a WoW snob?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by The Duck, Jul 3, 2013.

1. intrinsc

intrinsc New Cupcake

To me, it has "flame bait" written all over it.
  2. Chosenxeno

Chosenxeno Cupcake-About-Town

As someone who raided at a pretty high level in WOW for 5 years, I think the difficult of the old Raid content is exaggerated and that mechanically the later Raids were more interesting. Look at the mechanics of MC -Illidan and compare them to some of the later content. There was a lot more going on and I'd put the Difficulty of some of the TOGC hardmodes(A lot of people were near complete in ICC before they killed Heroic Anub and they had to add a scaling buff to ICC lol) and Neferian Normal pre-nerf up against a few of the Vanilla/TBC fights.

The first tier of Raiding in Cataclysym, was as challenging as any tier in any Version of WOW(before nerfs).
    One of the things we seem to forget is we are much better players than we were back then(I thought Swiftmend was stupid! lol). Also, there are more resources than ever before. The supposed downswing in difficulty is mostly because you are so smart and so damn good now lol

P.S. Rift has really nice raiding(not so much TDQ because it was the 1st of the expansion so it's pug-friendly now. Actually, that's a good thing). Some of the fights 1st Phases would be full fights in WoW. Also, there is no easy way in to the Hard Raid content. You have to earn you way there (Read: No carries)
  3. Deltre

Deltre Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think it was so much the difficulty of the mechanics in early WoW vs. later WoW as much as it was the changes. The ease of getting current tier raid gear out of 5 mans, 10 and 25 man gear being the same, it was easier to getting into raids, nerfs came much quicker, and the much hatred LFR. I raided hardcore in TBC and I loved it, some of the greatest times I've had. I did some ulduar and some cata raids, and in my opinion tbc was much less forgiving than later raids. I just can't stand WoW now.
  4. Crittical_Error

Crittical_Error New Cupcake

It seems there are a lot of players who have left WoW and looking for their next big thing.
    like a lot of you, I have been a hard core raider, raid leader, guild leader and been among the top of my shard of progression. . . WoW Snob? yeah.
    Now is to soon to get yourself a guild, half of these people might have quit after a week as they do not like the dynamics of the game...
    a few key things for me when looking for a guild;

• How active the players are - If they are leveling at the same rate
    • Skillz?! (can they even play the game)
    • Entertainment - spending your time playing a game, you want to have fun in the guild chat!
    • Organisation - days / times for raids - pvp - events (time zones)

I have contacted a few people from WOW I used to play with and most are interested in trying Wildstar with me...
    Sounds almost as if, the people from this forum thread would make a strong raid guild as long as the leadership is strong.

I just want to get started.
    The Duck likes this.
  5. Raive

Raive New Cupcake

I don't discount the raiding content of WoW, but if I was approached by anyone who said "hey I did this....7-8 years ago", I'd look at them funny. I would be more interested in what do you intend on doing, not what you have done...a very long time ago.

And again, I personally do question the "skill" levels as most people begun playing in WoW and it was all new to everyone so separating from the pack...wasn't all too difficult.

However good luck in your search.
  6. AimLock

AimLock Cupcake

Sounds to me like you need to start a guild ?

Remember to smell the roses , enjoy the vistas and get a house on your way to 40 man raiding :)
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Worst case you may have to do what I plan on doing if finding a pre-launch guild doesn't happen. Pick a server and play hard until the guilds who DO have the skill show themselves and apply to them promptly before they get filled up. You may have to do some guild hopping a bit at first due to all of the wannabe hardcore guilds out there until you find one that walks the walk. Finding your ground in a new game with different systems and designs can be rough, but if you're a good player, you'll find your home fairly quickly.
  8. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

I would love to find my self guild before the game launches, but it is wee bit hard as my parameters for the guild are quite strict.

I what I require from guild:

Guild Type: Semi Hardcore
    Raids Per Week: 3
    Hours per raid: 4

I require raids that are absolutelly consentrated, where everyone knows everything about their class and the class of others.
    Where everyone uses the whole toolset of their character instead of mindlessly grinding damage.
    Guild where everyone works towards the goal of killing bosses as fast and efficient as possible, where people can take the dive and screw their personal damage or healing if the survival of the raid requires so.
    I need a guild where leadership is 100% open and everyone knows what is happening in the guild. How loot is distributed, who takes care of the guild bank and what is it used for.
    I require the guild leader to be just and fair. Person who is ontop of his task, never loses patience but can give sharp and good critisism. Person who never starts yelling randomly at people blaming them for something they did not do.
    Still I want the guild to have good relaxed social atmosphere outside progression raids, so that the guild has other activities together outside progression raids. Possibly do some PvP, speed runs, sell runs to raids, do GDKP runs, do drunken farm raids for laughs, alt runs etc. I want a place where everyone consentrates 110% when it is the time to consentrate, but can have a good laugh when it is the time for that.

What I can offer:
    Complete knowledge of my class and the game. I read pretty much everything about the game I play, no matter what the game is. So if there is information, I will read it.
    Complete consentration during raids.
    100% loyalty towards the guild. I never play for gear, and I never cause drama because of gear and I never jump a guild I am satisfied with. If some people leave guild and we might have problems with starting a raid, I do not quit the guild. As long guild and it's leaders have not done anything wrong towards me, I support it 100%
    Perfectionism. What I do, I do perfect and being less than perfect is not an option for me.
    I am relaxed and easy going person, who likes to joke around. I am (in my own opinion) a pleasant person to play with. Even tho I am relaxed person, I know when to Shut the F up and consentrate.
    I have played endgame raiding since 2007. I have played arena at 2600 MMR on Cyclone Battlegroup.

Basically you can see from the parameters I have for the guild, that I have had fun in raiding and fun as a individual player but what I have missed is a place I can call a home.
  9. Jay Hicks

Jay Hicks New Cupcake

I lols at anyone who didn't actually get <REDACTED> done during BC, that think's they know what catering to the 1% means.. If you didn't raid BC, and only everything since, Your in for a big surprise..
  10. Xlugon Pyro

Hard to assume what Wildstar raiding will be like at this time. It might be like BC but it could very well end up being nothing like it at all.
  11. Draxus

Draxus Cupcake

Gotta wait and see.
  12. Jay Hicks

Jay Hicks New Cupcake

Aye, true enough. I suppose I lols more at BC raiders being called BS, and heroics now day's being really difficult.. That comparison from the view of anyone who actually did it all is quite funny.. Unless the OP is just trolling.. Then dammit, I took that bait..
  13. Xlugon Pyro

I gradually became a raider and good player over time but while that was happening, content as a whole became easier and more accessible. I'd like to say that despite the inverse relationship, I'll be a better player starting in Wildstar than I was starting WoW. In Cata, you had to get to heroic raiding to get to any content that was difficult, but if BC raiding is as hard or even more difficult, I look forward to it. I think I can rise to the challenge.
  14. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Don't forget, you want it to be Exile as well :p
  15. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

Indeed!

Dominion scums!..Grrrrr...
  16. Joshua A.

Joshua A. New Cupcake

http://www.wildstarforums.com/forum...us-hardcore-death-and-taxes-is-now-recruiting

#1 guild in the world Vanilla WoW moving over to Wildstar ^

BTW I raided in a world top 50 guild back in TBC under a guild named Dawn of Victory. We got Mu'ru and Elder Twins the top 50.

There is a difference between raiding back then and raiding now. Too much AoE now. I remember when we were competing to get our first Brutallus kill, our healers had to time their single-target heals perfectly timed from one another to recover from a potential crushing blow. We had about three paladin healers spamming heals on the tank (being smart about it of course), whispering eachother in a macro when they started casting their next heal. It would rotate through three paladins, and using addons like phat you could see at exactly when the other paladin was healing and you could time when your heal should go off. This is just an example of what top guilds did to down bosses back when the bosses were insanely hard to the point where guilds were disbanding left from right from not being able to figure out how to progress through a boss for 3+ months. It wasn't until the content became outdated, that 95% of the rest of the raiding guilds were able to see clear bosses and see content.

The removal of crushing blows and addition of spammable AoE dmg and heals have made the game less timing-intensive. This is why people complain about how much harder the game was to play back then.

Vanilla Naxx and TBC Sunwell burned out raiders faster than any other raiding content. Raider burnout isn't a problem in MoP from what I can see. There aren't as many raiding guilds now thanks for Raid Finder and soon-to-release Flex Raids. The last thing blizzard wants to do is create another guild breaker boss for the very few amount of raiding guilds left.

Also I would like to add in the the addition of the raid journal in WoW (Shift-J) made raid progressing much easier because now you could walk up to a boss and have a general idea of what he would do. Back then we would wipe on bosses to study the combat log to try to figure out how we would defeat the boss. Would we need resistance gear? Is there a way around the damage? What comes after phase 1 is information only for the guilds who've made it that far to know. Top guilds were very secretive about boss information and strategy back then. Ya, somebody would upload a boss strategy online at some point, but from my experience the ones I've found online didn't really compare to the way my guild defeated the boss; our personalized strategy was much more effective than the generalized online version that went online about a month or so after the first kill. Raid Finder and Flex Raids give players a general idea of what to expect from a boss. Raid Finder might be a joke compared to the real deal, but it still teaches you the general idea of the fight, and this is a resource many guilds didn't have access to back then.
    Baamz likes this.
  17. Kleev

Kleev Cupcake-About-Town

18. Valarcx

Valarcx New Cupcake

Don't forget the raid mechanics will change on a weekly basis. So before you figured out the tactics, a few days later this tactic isn't valid anymore.

I don't see a problem in not having WoW raiding experience as a guild. If the group of people communicate and listen to each other and work well as a team, they can overcome every boss encouter. Assuming they are not total game newbies.

Raids in WS seems about speed, if your guild is the first one to complete the raid, they get rewarded for it. If your guild is the 5th guild to complete the raid but cleared the raid the fastest, you get rewarded for that aswell.

My best bet for you and your wife is looking for a semi-hardcore/casual guild that raids about 3 times a week.
  19. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Didn't read the entire post, but you explained why I loved SWP, especially Brutallus (Holy Pala here) and for that, thank you.
  20. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

We don't know what WS raids are like, but we do know a bit about combat mechanics. While the top 5-10% of players will probably not have any issues in transition, and will be perfectly capable of porting their skillset over to the new game and adapting quickly, the rest might not. Not many guilds, even with impressive WoW resumes will guarantee you smooth progression. Guild's with less impressive history, or even non at all, can't be discredeted as incompetent either. It's a bit of a lottery until the game is in play :)

Guess, it depends greatly if your main goal is your only requirement when searching for an appropriate guild. If it is, I'd hold of until way closer to launch, when WS hype will spread even further out, and attract the attention of a bigger variaty of serious raiding guilds from other games.

If the social aspect is important to you as well, then I'd find myself a community that you enjoy spending time with, that has similar goals to yours, and then just let things flow. Guild membership isn't a live subscription. If one does not live up to your expectations, you can always move on. It can quite happily be done without shutting all doors behind you either. It depends on your own attitude as well as that of the community you're leaving behind.

Are you a WoW snob? Maybe. Is there something wrong with that? Hell no. It's totally up to you and your other half, to choose how, when, where, and with whom do you wish to spend your gaming time with.

Can't help the feeling it was more of a rhetoric question, but there you go, answered anyhow ;)