1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Am I a WoW snob?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by The Duck, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Iskiab

Iskiab Cupcake

I never played WoW back in Vanilla but I will say this, I see the 'raiding got easier, blah blah blah' all the time in different games. There's a simple reason for it.

When people first start raiding they encounter new mechanics they aren't used to - fire hurts? Then they improve, as they improve the content gets easier. It's not so much the game gets easier as that the player gets better and some mechanics are rehashed and you've already learnt how to deal with them.

I agree with one thing the OP said though - I'm not sure how much previous experience in other games will help you. Skills you pick up in FPSs might be better, how well you control you character and camera will make a huge difference and will define how good a raider is.
    The Duck likes this.
  2. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

Indeed. I think FPS games make you generally better in any skill based activity in games, also PvP in WoW is (or more so was) a good way to become better as a player, no matter what you do in games as it teached you situational awareness.
  3. koticgood

koticgood New Cupcake

I don't anything about you OP, but if I had to guess, I would say you had literally zero experience with Vanilla Naxx (or even AQ40), or Black Temple/Sunwell in BC (honestly, even SSC/TK were hard before repeated nerfs, even Gruul was lol).

And, more importantly, you don't need to look outside of WoW to find people laughing at current raids. There is no need to come to Wildstar forums to make the same post that constantly pops up on WoW forums. Yes, we get it, you don't like people taking away your sense of accomplishment from your WoW raids. But, please, you can just ask current WoW players about the difficulty of the encounters/raids I listed compared to current raids. No need to bring this question to WildStar forums.

Good luck with your guild-search though! I hope you and your wife enjoy WildStar and have a fun time on Nexus.
  4. xerel

xerel New Cupcake

As someone who has done all of wow's raid content while it was relevant(only missed out on the last few bosses of vanilla naxx) I would say people definitely romanticize wow's early raids.

For the most part the old raids were mechanically much simpler than the more recent ones, but it was balanced by the game itself not being as well understood, and players being less experienced. In terms of sheer difficulty there has always been a range across tiers, and every raid has it's marquee bosses. So yes, M'uru was very hard, but so was Yogg 0, and so was Heroic LK, and so was (25man) Heroic Rag, and so is Heroic Lei Shen. I think part of what gives people such nostalgic memories of Sunwell was that it was lacking the freebie bosses most tiers have. Kalecgos wasn't terribly difficult, but by 'easiest boss in the instance' standards, he was pretty rough, and the difficulty only went up from there, which kept a lot of people out.

It's also worth noting that Blizzard is a lot more proactive on the gradual nerfing of content now than they were in vanilla/TBC. I think that gives people the impression that the raids are easier, and they are if you're getting to them months later once those nerfs start happening. If you're closer the the leading edge though, the fights are still very difficult.
    The Duck likes this.
  5. Joshua A.

Joshua A. New Cupcake

This is true, Archimonde was hard because people couldn't click on their slow fall button right before they hit the ground and moving out of the fire was hard,

WoW's population has become more skilled (with the help of WoW teaching people how to move out of stuff with very noticeable AoE thanks to circles in the ground, etc) over the years. Back in Vanilla or TBC was when most of WoW's population first started playing, and nobody had experience. It seems like most of the peeps playing MoP/Cataclysm are vets and WoW has reacted accordingly.

However I will say that I still believe the difficulty level was set to slightly higher standards back then. Most of the competitive guilds couldn't kill KJ back in SWP until patch 3.1 (pre-release of WotLK), when the content was MONTHS old and obsolete in blizzard's eyes. People need WotLK class changes and over a 20% nerf to SWP before over like 90% of the rest of competitive raiding guilds got to finish SWP. Also please keep in mind that SWP wasn't balanced around patch 3.1 and all of the class changes associated with it. Unless you were a world top guild, that wasn't going to happen pre-3.1. Things seem to be progressing better now. Naxx was the same way but the speed of raiding progression has noticeably changed since SWP.

Is Heroic ToT hard? Ya. Is Heroic LK (25) hard? Yup. Has raiding progression speed up massively since the end of SWP when most of the raiding community complained about 95% of the raiding guilds not being able to see content they raid to see? Yup
    The Duck likes this.
  6. Kytty

Kytty Cupcake-About-Town

Someone else has already stated it as well tho. We dont get punished as hard for failing. Stand in the fire .. oo that tickles. Stand in the fire back then .. aaaaand Im running back. Its true the mechanics have changed and players have become more skillful in adapting to the changing mechanics. Raids have changed their mechanics as well and yea heroic raiding is hard, but thats about it. I miss needing to CC :( My poor little sheep spell got so lonely.

But The game as a whole . not just raiding . has become simpler in the way that it kind of holds your hand and if you fail ... oh well you'll be right. And the whole genre has made it that way. You dont need to figure anything out anymore, Even just basic quests now. Get quest, look on map "oh thats where they are", go kill/loot/burn to ground. Everything of interst sparkles. You dont need to brain and half the time it feels like a job instead of fun. After all isnt that what games are meant to be. Even when I was raiding I had fun. Now its like OMG My health has gone down 3% (becasue I stood in something i shouldnt have) and you didnt heal me *&^%**!! Uh ... yea coz that little papercut was slowly gonna kill you *facepalm*
  7. Grafficane

Grafficane New Cupcake

Yes you are and I have seen a few here saying there is nothing wrong with being a WoW snob. I have to disagree. Although it is fine seeking like minded people to play with, seeing everyone else as inferior is toxic for the community. I wouldn't belittle others with the notion that all the best raiders raid in WoW. With that said, I still wish the best of luck to you and the Mrs in finding what you are looking for. :up:
    Gomer likes this.
  8. Gomer

Gomer Cupcake