1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Am I the only one that doesn't want Transmogrification?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by WakeskaterX, May 28, 2013.

?

Do you guys want transmogrification in game?

Poll closed Jun 4, 2013.
  1. Yes.

181 vote(s)
    66.8%
  2. No.

65 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Possibly, if done a different way (explain).

25 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. WakeskaterX

WakeskaterX Cupcake-About-Town

Just curious. I never liked transmog. If I see someone running around I like to know exactly what they are wearing by the look of it and what tier of gear it is.

I'm fine with people keeping costume sets for inside cities and what not, but ...

Idk, transmog just seems too fake, I never really liked it and it's something I don't like all that much in GW2 (although because everything shares models it doesn't matter much in GW2).

When they introduced it in WoW I thought it detracted from the world.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think.
  2. JoeDragon

JoeDragon Cupcake-About-Town

Personally I like it. I always hated that when a new Expansion came out, all the cool gear I had became useless. I think it adds to the world more so than detracting from it. Before Transmog everyone looked the same. After Transmog, we became able to truly customize our character's appearance. It adds a lot of variety and quite frankly some of the gear combinations people have come up with are pretty awe inspiring.

I don't see how transmogrification, a completely optional feature, could detract from the world.
    Drarorm, Jarinolde, Chooby and 12 others like this.
  3. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

Like JoeDragon says, without Transmog everyone looks the same and you're forced to throw away gear that has a look you like. I'm all about personalization and creating my own look, so I looooovvveeee transmog systems. Also, most sets that are deemed as "cool" is incredibly gaudy and stupid in my eyes, without transmog I would have been running in that horrible COF set or that incredibly flamboyant and disgusting TA set in gw2, but instead I was able to maintain my Assassin's Creed look.
  4. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

I'm fine with transmogrification.

Do I use it much myself? No. I tend to enjoy the evolution of my characters appearance even if I do end up looking like a purple lobster (WoW AQ40 warlock set) or something equally weird.

Should people be allowed to setup their character how they want? Yes.

I can understand from a PvP point of view wanting to see at a glance what someone has equipped/give an idea of how tough an opponent they will be but at the end of the day they'll be looking at their character all the time, you'll be looking at it for far less so simple maths makes the call for me :D (plus you could argue that deception is a valid part of PvP strategy).

An appearance tab (instead of transmogrification) could solve your problem though - simply allow both equipped + appearance gear sets to be viewed on inspection - they look how they want and you can see where the gear you like the look of came from.
    Gempulse likes this.
  5. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

I'm all for transmog. I enjoy looking like I did 3 years ago in a completely different tier of PvE / PvP. :)
    Malorak and Gempulse like this.
  6. Sera Serenity

Sera Serenity Cupcake-About-Town

I'm in for it, I know some people like to restrict it so that heavy armour wears cannot hide under light armour skins (people at upset by that for pvp), but I dont really mind...
    Gempulse likes this.
  7. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I'm on the fence on this one, I'd like it so you can apply armor skins to "civilian" items, to store them as such - but then why not just store the piece itself? At the same time though, I think gear from different areas of the game should be iconic and recognisable.

Hell, there's going to be near ARPG levels of item customisation in WS so hopefully we can dye items as well as play with mods etc all to generate our iconic yet unique looks :)
  8. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Couldn't give a toss as long as I can dye it pink.
  9. Kleev

Kleev Cupcake-About-Town

I hate it. I prefer being able to tell what gear someone is actually wearing when I see them. It probably also has a negative affect on the artists responsible for designing gear when people tend to gravitate toward specific items that already exist. I would love an option to "ignore" it, allowing me to see what people are actually wearing while they still see it themselves.

It's not necessarily a bad thing to be "forced" to change your appearance with every new tier of content, because it keeps things fresh and just adds to the incentive of wanting that best tier of gear that you can show off. If you want to look cool while standing around in town (which is usually the only place people actually care what their character looks like), you can stash those older items and put it on to afk or do whatever.

Then again, there are bound to be some awful looking items that I absolutely hate and make me want to use this feature. :p
    Androssi, Agathia and Dnevnoy like this.
  10. Zybak

Zybak Cupcake-About-Town

I personally like it. With that being said it does take a lot of pressure of developers to make good skins (which is a bad thing)

Look at how crappy gear in WoW has looked ever since transmog. I think Wildstar won't get lazy with their models since they've got something to prove.
    WakeskaterX and Verilyn like this.
  11. Nayukhuut`Chet

Nayukhuut`Chet Cupcake

I like it, though I prefer wardrobe slots ala Rift or Eq2. I dislike the random I stumbled into a second hand armour shop and wore whatever fit look that normal armour for your level tends to give you.
  12. salazar

salazar Cupcake-About-Town

I never liked it, even just when they add'ed the "hide head items" feature in wow i didn't like it lol. I like to look at my enemy and have an idea of what i am up against. And i really hope i wont be up against warriors in cloth items :).

Anyway i voted yes, since it is important for alot of people :p
  13. AnotherJaggens

AnotherJaggens Cupcake-About-Town

Same as custom dyes for armor - no. Never.
  14. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

Yes
  15. Mierelle

Mierelle Cupcake-About-Town

Not much for transmog either, as it removes some aspects of getting new gear.

And don't get the argument that everyone looks the same, atleast not before they increased the drop rate of tier tokens in TBC. Back in vanilla it took such long time to get a full set of gear that everyone ran around with missmatched sets of gear. Decrease the drop rate of tear gear and make off sets worth while and this won't be an issue.

I'm for Dyes of your gear if people don't want to run around like rainbows, but you should still show the core design of that item. How can you achieve that "wow" factor over a good geared top content player if he redesign his gear to look like leveling gear?

For me transmog seems like the solution of decreased difficulties and increased drop rates, a scenario where you no longer achieve something by getting new gear. I still remember when getting my first Lawbringer item or getting my 2p bonus on Lightbringer.
  16. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

For PvE- Yes. Defiantly. It allows a layer of customization for the player to design and have some impact on how they look rather than looking like a clown if some good pieces of loot don't match but, give the best stats.
    For PvP- NO. (possibly weapons yes) PvP you react upon knowledge you're given and if you see someone in robes that looks like <expletive> grays you're being deceived possibly. This fact takes away the players ability to correctly discern a battle they should partake in or flee from. If I see someone in some rags I may engage in open combat as I'm likely to win if they have cruddy gear- its in a way a free kill. If I see someone suited up in flaming skulls with rainbows coming out their <expletive> I'm likely going to flee.... as I may not win the fight and I don't want to run back to my body or die regardless.

Mainly- in pvp it can give an unfair advantage to the player that could care less about what gear looks like (the entire reason the system exists in the first place) and it ends up being abused.
  17. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

Personally I'm in favor of changing your appearance. Be it via transmog, or easier, via the EQ2 model of having a separate "appearance" tab where you can slot items instead. It adds to the immersion and identification of your character to be able to look the way you want.
    I would however want there to be restrictions, like you can only wear appearance of items that you actually can use. So no warriors with psyblades or casters in heavy armor.

The other reason is, sometimes you really just want to look a certain way - say some dungeon drops some really badass looking armor - but you can't, because those boring looking new pieces are way better, stat wise. Appearance armor and transmog solve that issue.

Next, dyes. Great thing indeed, and I love em. GW2 imho had a system down that was pretty perfect, having base dyes, where the rarer ones could be found or gotten in the cash shop in random packages. That was okay, since they were tradeable and you could just buy that elusive gold or pure black dye off the auction house.
    Plus they really are just a great feature, since you can actually look like your items belong together, rather than looking like a walking mannequin that someone used to store random bits and pieces of equipment.

So yeah, dyes along with appearance slots are a great way to let people look the way they want, and to stop everyone from looking exactly the same throughout the game. (Like Neverwinter, where every player of every class pretty much looks near identical)

If however you are concerned about your performance in PvP depending on being able to see just what items someone has, then by all means, lets have a switch to disable appearance items in PvP on other players. But I vote to keep it around otherwise. You can only wear items as appearance which you can legitimately wear anyways, so you can't really cheat by pretending to wear something awesome that in reality, you can't.
    Zero713 likes this.
  18. Foozy

Foozy New Cupcake

I voted no, though im not entirely against transmog. I think both sides has its bonuses. As you said i feel like transmog makes characters seem a bit ''fake''. Though i cant argue against finding a very good looking mask/helmet but i cant use it because the stats is worse than mine. But atleast dont do it like WoW where you can make a sword look like an axe... I prefer small changes on the transmog like changing a helmet to another helmet. So im basically with it but also against it... I know it sounds stupid/weird, but like i said, if they add transmog i hope they make it abit different (so basically i should've voted for number 3).

Cheers o/
  19. Nezk

Nezk Cupcake

voted possibly

I think potions should let you look like a pirate or ninja

I think you should never be able to wear statistically good gear while it permanently looks like a pirate's outfit or a clown suit

Transmog works when a game has 6 years of old gear no one wears anymore, this is a new game with tons of models and devs having done a lot of work, transmog will cut that work into a third basically.

It can be done in so many different ways, I have faith they will do it right.
    Dalejm545 likes this.
  20. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

I like Transmog and by the way, any kind of customization (And I heard they'll give it to us ^^). Sometimes I don't like the looks of my gear and I'd like to change it. Hek.. if I don't like the looks of the top tier gear, than what I do? Wear it and feel ugly? No, I don't want that.

Customization is good. Gives you that "I'm unique in some way" feeling. :)