1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Any suggestions on good CO-OP/Multiplayer RPG Games?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Failedlegend, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Failedlegend

Failedlegend Cupcake

Pretty much the title...My gamer girl and I love experiences RPGs together even if we just takes turns playing but we discovered the greatness that is the Tales series (we've already played through Symphonia, Abyss and Vesperia) and now were addicted to CO-OP RPGs and hoping more exist so I figured I ask at a few of my favorite forums.

So yeah we literally JUST finished Vesperia so were looking for another one, now we really prefer a standard RPG as opposed to something like Diablo but feel free to suggest anything also We'd prefer games on NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, XBOX, XBOX 360, Wii or Gamecube since I own all those systems but if there's an awesome enough game I might hunt down the relevant system (including PS3 since PS4s release will likely lower its price).

So far I'm looking into Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Diablo 3 (Xbox360), Borderlands 2 (she might not like this one), and hopefully I can find the other tales games (would appreciate a list actually)but I'm sure theres WAY more than that so please lay your suggestions on me...vague, obscure, limited release I don't care as long as you think it would be fun.

So yeah go nuts suggest away:geek:
  2. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

If you haven't already, I think you should check out Baten Kaitos on Gamecube. It's not co-op though, and it's a turned based card fighting RPG, and the storyline is a very generic JRPG one (just like the Tales games). But I think it's extremely enjoyable and very underrated, the music and atmosphere especially is top notch. I think the card element is what's usually the most off putting about it, but I find that it adds a lot of depth to the combat rather than the typical Final Fantasy style combat. Worth checking out at least.

Another great one is Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2 on Gamecube/Xbox, a bit more action based but one of my favorite co-op RPG's for sure.

You've probably already played Baldur's Gate, but that's another fantastic one, I think the Enhanced Edition really polished it up to a nice level, and if I remember correctly I think that Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition is around the corner too.

Oh, and I almost forgot, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles on Gamecube. I think I've never read a positive review of the game other than in an official Nintendo magazine (so highly biased lol), but I found it fantastic. Of course the major downside is that you and each player has to have a GBA connected to the Gamecube to play it, but if you have it or are willing to buy it's definitely a great game. The design and music is absolutely wonderful, I sort of wish I could play it right now. Also, it's a lot better when you have someone to play it with compared to playing solo, I think you would love it.
  3. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

I've played nearly everything from nes, snes, n64, ps1,ps2, eara in the vain of rpgs.
    I think you have got all your bases covered if you look at Squaresoft's catalog as a whole including secret of mana which you have already listed.

Surprisingly, Some of the final fantasy games have co-op. Off the top of my head final fantasy 9 has co-op which can be activated in the controller setup effectively allocating a player to a controller in battle.

The legend of Zelda series my seem childish at first but they do deliver a great action rpg experience.

One of the great gems of this decade is ZENONIA series. I personally have not finished any of them but the ones i own seem very robust.

If you want i could compile LARGE list of RPG's i would recommend?
  4. Failedlegend

Failedlegend Cupcake

FF:CC is nice but like Zelda:Four Swords another game we'd love to play it would be a massive PITA to get to work

Baiten Kaitos is a fun RPG but like you said not CO-OP which i am specifically looking for CO-OP rpgs right now (although i will be adding BK to my list of games i need to play again) same goes for the LoZ games (cannot want for a link between worlds :D)

Hmmm...never knew FF games had CO-OP...I definitively have to play FF6 with her. I so concur though the squareSOFT catalog is a great place to look at for this. It's a shame squareENIX is failing miserably at making anything good.

Yes feel free to write out a list of co-op rpgs to play :D
  5. Failedlegend

Failedlegend Cupcake

Added a bunch more games

CO-OP Games

NES
    - None yet

SNES
    - Secret of Mana
    - Secret of Evermore (2 Player Version)
    - Final Fantasy 6

Gamecube
    - Phantasy Star Episode 1&2 Plus

DS/3DS
    - Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light
    - Fire Emblem: Awakening
    - Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Sky
    - Lord of the Rings: Conquest
    - Children of Mana

Wii
    - None yet

Xbox
    - Hunter: The Reckoning
    - Hunter: The Reckoning: Redeemer

Xbox360
    - Diablo 3
    - Borderlands 1/2
    - Dungeon Siege 3
    - Eternal Sonata
    - Overlord 2
    - Deathspank, Deathspank 2, Deathspank: The Baconing

PS1
    -Tales of Destiny
    - Final Fantasy 5
    - Final Fantasy 9
    - Diablo 1

PS2
    - Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1/2
    - Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel
    - Champions of Norrath
    - Champions: Return to Arms
    - Tales of Destiny 2
    - Shining Tears
    - Hunter: The Reckoning: Wayward

PS3
    - Tales of Xillia 1/2
    - Tales of Graces F

PC
    - Baldur's Gate EE 1/2 (Require 2 PCs/Game Copies)
    - Divinity:Original Sin (not yet released)
    - Neverwinter Nights 1/2 (Require 2 PCs/Game Copies)
    - Dungon Siege 1/2 (Require 2 PCs/Game Copies)
    - Conclave
    - Diablo 2 (Require 2 PCs/Game Copies)
    - Overlord (Require 2 PCs/Game Copies)
  6. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Thinking about this gives me a great trip down memory lane....
    *Old man Rant-Tale*

Before the internet you used have these snes type games which were great, immersive games but lacked the multiplier co-op features for the most part. Every final fantasy i played i thought, Wouldn't it be great if all my friends could hang out in this world and we could battle all kinds of foes and each other?

And with the evolution of the internet we got mmorpgs. large, open worlds which pay hommage to the the idea that these npcs were in a living world, except now people could actually inhabit these worlds.

So its both amusing and saddening that its come full circle people search for co-op rpgs over mmorpgs. lol. :)
  7. Failedlegend

Failedlegend Cupcake

Mostly I like to play games solely with my friends as opposed to with a bunch of random people even if their not directly affecting me...one thing i like about DDO is EVERYTHING is instanced so your always just with your party other than the main city (which is really just a hub for shop stuff and entering quest instances) which makes sense that you'd see alot of people there otherwise I hate MMOs SWTOR would have been 1000x better if it was just KOTOR3...with no changes except removal of all the mmo things.

Depsite our issues with MMOs Wildstar was actually holding our interest until a certain announcement which I will not mention as I don't want to get into that discussion in this thread.