1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Apply for a guild????

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Exa, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Exa

Exa New Cupcake

Why must everyone always ask for a person to apply for a guild?
    I mean, what does that give you? You think you'll know use better after an application?
    I just find it sorta dumb that you must summit an app to get accepted. Wouldn't it be better if you actually got to know someone and then make a decision. Or are all the guilds afraid to tell peeps to leave there guild in chat (kinda to there face), instead you hide behind your walls of application like your the king or something. phf

I hope some guild out there has enough balls to stand up!
  2. Spliffy404

Spliffy404 New Cupcake

If you took the time to go read the Guild Registry (http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/wildstar-guild-registry.5072/), then you would see that not all Guilds ask for applications.

The reason most Guilds ask for applications, is to get a feel for the type of person they are, what their gaming experience is, what type of effort they put into the app, and to ask a few questions back and forth to see if there are any glaring problems that would make that particular person a bad fit for the Guild.

Once that process is complete, 90% of Guilds with applications have an interview process that takes place on a Voice Com program (TS3, Vent, Mumble, Raidcall, etc), to do exactly what you said, get to know the person, and ask some more questions, before either extending an invite to the person, or informing them that it isn't going to work out for them.

There are a lot of serious Guilds that want to progress quickly and compete against each other for World first and Server first accolades in this game, as well as other games, and the application process lets them find the players best suited to help them do that, and to weed out the casual and unskilled players.

There are plenty of people who share your opinion about filling out applications for a Guild, they are called casual players. They either don't have the time to or don't want to commit to the raiding schedule of a Guild, or they enjoy different aspects outside of Raiding and Organized PvP.

Finally, there are the players who just aren't good at the game.....at all. Some people are just really bad at a video game and continue to play anyway because they enjoy it. A lot of people who play these games competitively do not want to play with those people, as they will be held back and their progression slowed down by them. It is there choice and money, so they reserve the right to accept/deny anyone they want from their Guild. Just as you have the choice to refrain from filling out an application for a Guild. It would just take way to long to interview every single person that shows interests in some Guilds. Applications help to weed out the bad applicants before they get to the interview and waste both parties time.

Hope it was helpful.
  3. Wildebeest

Wildebeest Cupcake

It's a screening process, weeds out imba-retards. And if someone is not a fit after they enter, I have no problem telling them "You suck, good bye." /gkick.
    If you have a problem with guilds who do application processes then you don't belong in a serious / hardcore guild because they all do it. Just go join the guilds with all caps joke names and enjoy raiding tier 1 content for the rest of your days.
    Treylor and Exa like this.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Our guild had people who wanted to join with saying things like they are sooo imba and they would help the guild since they are so good at raiding etc.

For those kind of people is what those application forms are for ;)

It's to weed out those who are not suited to be in a close community from the start. YES! After that, will come the ''get to know you process''.

Application forms = for the protection of the guild

Drama in the guild = BAD!
    So with the application forms you can save ''a part'' of the drama beforehand.
    Exa likes this.
  5. Sarigar

Sarigar Cupcake

Requiring an application weeds out many bad apples right from the get go, since most are unwilling or incapable of coherently filling out an application. An application can also provide valuable insight into the person applying. They may lie, of course, but lies on applications tend to be revealed pretty quickly in actual play.

I'm not sure about other guilds, but in the raiding guilds I've served in, we never had a problem getting rid of people who turned out to be problems. I enjoyed my tenure as guild hatchetman in two different guilds; when it came time to cut someone loose, I did the cutting. A quick, clean separation is always best, no need to trouble the rest of the guild with that kind of thing.
    Exa likes this.
  6. Elloa

Elloa Cupcake

It's not only a question of being "hardcore" and control how skilled a player is. I've been Guild Leader for different guilds and different games with different objectives. Sometimes it was a Roleplay guild. Sometimes it was a raiding guild. But most of the time it was what you could consider as "casual" guild whose main purpose was to offer the best atmosphere possible to its members.​
    Yet, I've always demanded a written application. Not only I wanted the application, but I also wanted a good one, where the player would introduce him/herself properly and would not be greedy of details.​

The main reason for that is to test the dedication of the future member. I want members that are commited and loyal. Not especially that are playing a lot or are super skilled. I'm fine with newbies. I'm fine with RL buzy players. I'm not fine with players that doesn't care, that are not reading the guild description and can't be arsed to read the forum, participate to it, and become an actively a living part of the guild. To ask to write an application filter the careless players. Why should I trust someone that refuse to take the 5 min requiered to fill up an application?​

Note: I'm not the guild leader of UMBRA.​
    Exa likes this.
  7. Exa

Exa New Cupcake

I value all of your imputs. And I do understand.
    But riddle me this... You fill out app, you get invite, and are the new guy label.
    NO interview, you try and talk to peeps in chat, no one reply's, lead has said no word to you.

whats the point of the app.
  8. Elloa

Elloa Cupcake

I value all of your imputs. And I do understand.
    Then you have applied to the wrong guild. It's the job of the guild leadership/seniors/veteran to make the new member at ease and be well introduced among the community.A warm welcoming is neccessary!
    At least this is how I see things.​
    Molan likes this.
  9. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

An app is usually followed by an interview and then a "recruit" or "probation" period of getting to know someone and seeing if they really do fit within the current structure of the guild - lots require you to be on, and contribute to, their Voice Chat and/or forums so they know you're committed to that guild.
  10. Sarigar

Sarigar Cupcake

Joining a new guild is a bit like getting a new job, especially if you don't already know people in the guild. Your new guildies may welcome you, because everyone else did, but after that they go back to what they were doing. At that point, it's up to you, the new member, to start making yourself known. I've never been in a guild where the existing members flocked to be my new best friend. :) It takes time.

Listen to the guild chatter a bit. Pick out folks who sound cool, or who need help. Introduce yourself to them, let them know you'll be glad to help them out. If it's quiet, don't take it the wrong way: maybe folks aren't on, or they're in groups doing stuff already, etc. If people are looking for groupmates, volunteer. If you have crafting skills that are useful, let folks know you can make stuff.

There's no one way, or right way, to make your way in a new guild. But if you got the invite, everyone at least knows the officers saw fit to give you a chance. How you acquit yourself, and validate that chance, is up to you.
    Kataryna likes this.
  11. Exa

Exa New Cupcake

Ok.
    Maybe its time for me to stop trying the same thing and expecting different results.
    I will take your advice guys and maybe try a different approach.

Thank all you guys for actually helping, I mean it was nice, you guys weren't biting my head off and stuff. thx again.

Exa
    TattooedWalrus likes this.
  12. Spliffy404

Spliffy404 New Cupcake

There are definitely Guilds out that there require an application to join, and have no business doing so. There are some absolute garbage Guilds in pretty much every game. It's just as much your job to do some research on the Guild that you are applying to, as they are researching into you with the application process. An interview is just as much your opportunity to interview the Guild as it is for them to interview you.

Glad this helped you out. See you on Nexus.
  13. SiddyFour

SiddyFour Cupcake

I think it's silly. The moment someone tells me to fill out an application I lose interest. I've filled out enough applications in the real world.
  14. Elloa

Elloa Cupcake

I guess it also depend what you are looking for. If you just want a guild to hang out, i suppose it's good enough to join a random guild without application.

As player, I choose very carefully the guild I'm joining. Sometimes I just don't care because I'm playing a game very casually. Then I can just join a guild like that. But héhé, it never end by being a serious story. It's like a onestand night, right.
    If I'm looking for a place where to stay, grow as player in a community, I'll be very carefull. I'll make research and see what guild fit me the best for my goal in game. And if that guild didn't requiered from me a serious application, I'd not trust them. If it's easy to get in the guild...it's probably a bad sign :p
  15. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

It depends what you want form the guild, I know some guilds have pretty extensive applications (so did we at one time), but over the years of running guilds I have come to distrust what people put down, as you can put anything, even bad players (which is not a problem TBH) can sound great on a application, or total ass can come across as really fun to play with people.

We have now over time really shortened our application form to this
    We have learned over the years best way to find out is get the bodies in then decide, as long as the guild has a clear and well defined direction that is spelled out to everyone, once people are in and we have played together for a while you quickly get a feel if they fit the guild ethos, if they do great if not, explain why and remove them.

I agree with a lot of this except the application part, although for some people and some guilds a tough application process can and does work very well.

But for us now, we not asking you to apply for a job, so why make it feel like one, both sides quickly learn if the fit is good.

End of the day if taking 2 to 5 minutes to fill out a guild application is to much of a effort we don't want you. How could we trust you to ever make a effort for the guild.
  16. Stich

Stich Cupcake

ive been in a few guilds with joke names and in all caps, and still done high tier raids and pvp. The guild name doesn't really mean anything if they are serious or not, in my experience ive found guilds that do applications on thirdp arty sites, ect, to be the kind that takes the game a tad too serious, i mean if a guild wipes on a raid doesnt mean its the end of the world or if they loose a few ranked games, its not the end of the world, a guild is suposed to be a group of like minded players to ENJOY the game, not turn it into a corporation
  17. Draxus

Draxus Cupcake

After all it's all about fun :)
  18. Spliffy404

Spliffy404 New Cupcake

Being the best is fun.
  19. Wildebeest

Wildebeest Cupcake

Winning is fun, losing or wiping is not fun. Corporations win.
  20. Forni

Forni New Cupcake

If you can't take the time to fill out a guild app that might take a few minutes what makes a guild think you can dedicate or spend their time working with you if you can't dedicate something so menial to them.