1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Apply for a guild????

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Exa, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Yule

Yule Cupcake

If you are too lazy to write a decent app, you are probably too lazy to become a decent player.

If you cant put in the commitment required for a simple application, why would i believe you would commit to my guild and its standards?
  2. Pestilinz

Pestilinz Cupcake

You were obviously NOT of like mind
    Kataryna likes this.
  3. Stich

Stich Cupcake

personaly i think its simpler, to invite them on a trial base, see how they do, if they fit then accept them, if not then say good bye
  4. Murdax

Murdax New Cupcake

just to let you know, most application forms have certain questions embedded in them that ppl are looking to see how you answer them to get a feel for you. When most ppl raid application submitted to join a guild they don't read the entire thing they just go to the questions of most interest to get a grasp of you and will know from there if you are a perfect fit.
  5. Sassaroth

Sassaroth Cupcake

Sorry but applications allow us to get basic information, like are you a drama queen? , how will you act on paper, are you of age, will you lie on paper, and allows tracking of individuals so we make sure no one it forgotten. It allows organization and listing to the officers and admins to make sure EVERYONE that makes an application gets talked to, yes in team speak. An application allows us to make sure you have read or at least get to read the rules of the community BEFORE you tread on our carpet.

And you must be aware, your fill out an application, but this is not a 24 call center. You get in and you might have to give a moment for a live person that has authority to grant you all the normal rights. That is also protecting the guild. You do not just make an application to fill out then give someone full access, with out saying hi.

There would be no point to the app, other then post-drama clean up. If that was the case i could easily get an app, get into someone's voice chat, then raise hell till some officer gets on and finds a way to remove me.

Applications let us get to know your basics, team speak, lets us get to know you, then acceptance lets you know we get you. If you can not commit to an application, to share, to give, without receiving first, to trust, then are you the type of person that would fit. We have hundreds of people that trust the community as a whole that they are in the right place. They trust we are looking out for there best interest. They know that when they filled out an application, so will all the others. They are all equals.

God bless Nexus

sass
  6. Mantard

Mantard New Cupcake

Applications are extremely important if you want to join a guild that is hardcore or semi hardcore. For me, the allow me to see if you are dedicated or not. If you give one line answers and have no thought behind it, it makes me question your motives. I will most likely still do a Vent interview, but my luck has been real good with people who take the time to fill out the application in detail. Now if you take to much time on it and just brag about how awesome you are...well that is good to know as well. This person is most likely a elitist and will almost always cause drama in guilds! If i didn't have a application, I wouldn't have know until it was too late. In the end, for what my guild is trying to achieve, a application is a great way for us to get to know you beforehand!
    TattooedWalrus likes this.
  7. James E Johnson

James E Johnson New Cupcake

Guild applications are a two-edged sword. On the one side, it is a valuable tool to allow the Guild to get the sense of the individuals applying. Thus making it slightly easier to determine if the person would make a "good" (read meaningful/fun/etc.) contribution, strengthening the guild as it progresses as a whole to some goal. Then further communication can be opened up between the applicant and the guild representative(s). Regrettably though guild applications also allow some guilds/people to just look at gear level, experience, etc. as opposed to the player. This can lead to some... perceived elitism. But once again, it's just a tool used to help build. strengthen, and progress the guild.

I will say though that Guild applications seem somewhat opposed or contrary to WSO's Mentor System. Where "hardcore" players can help the newer or lower level players develop the skills that will make them valuable contributions to any guild.

My five cents.
  8. Hasteo

Hasteo New Cupcake

9. TattooedWalrus

TattooedWalrus Cupcake

I think this all comes down to what the guild is intending. If the guild is attempting to make certain accomplishments, it would make sense that their application asks the questions to verify that your interests are the same as theirs.

In another way, an application provides the person interested with information regarding the guilds intentions as well. If you read on an application "Do you feel comfortable using a microphone to communicate frequently?" it gives you a pretty good example that said guild is going to expect some form of verbal communication between it's members.

Guilds without applications do exist, and from what I have personally seen, they seem to be more of a casual community. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but each guild chooses to structure differently. Making the somewhat "jab" that guilds who have applications are hiding in some way or don't have the "balls" to address applicants is somewhat far fetched and I fear trolling in my opinion.

It is completely appropriate to start a guild for whatever reason you wish. If people choose to start a guild with a strong focus and choose to have structure with an application process much like a job interview, I think it is just as commendable as someone who chooses to spam general chat offering invites to their guild.

I have always found guilds using applications to be much more comfortable to me, because I appreciate that form of structure when I am looking for a guild. Doesn't mean I lack respect for someone doing it different. I hope in the future, you can see that there is multiple ways to accomplish guild "success" and you won't be so quick to poke at the guilds doing it differently than you would like.
    D3athcr33ps likes this.
  10. D3athcr33ps

D3athcr33ps Cupcake

I think he offers a valuable point. All jobs should do a "trial period" because people's personalities don't necessarily transfer to paper. Previous experience isn't needed if you have street smarts. Why I grew up in a rural area and I had an ax-murderer for a school teacher. Just because he had no "formal training" or "resume" didn't make him the best darn teacher I ever had.