1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Are there any concerns regarding wildstar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by thrastorm7, Feb 12, 2013.

1. SirRobin

SirRobin Cupcake-About-Town

Concerns? Of course I've got concerns. I've gone through a lot of mumorpugers over the last decade and they've all ended up disappointing me sooner or later. I think STO still has my personal record, at three days, for going from "hot" to "not."

What is the sandbox versus themepark ratio? How much leveling progression variety is there for alting? How many loading screens? Etc, etc, etc...

The MMORPG market is a crowded one. Full of good, and not so good, competition for WildStar. Full of developers who thought they knew what most of their potential customers wanted but were, well, wrong. I like what I've seen so far but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak, and we won't really know how good that pudding is till launch.
    Nanfoodle likes this.
  2. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

I would add to that 5 mans. I don't want them to be just a leveling tool and/or a stepping stone to raids. They should offer the same challenge and rewards as raids.
  3. Nanfoodle

Nanfoodle Cupcake

Im not an Alt kinda guy. I stick to 1 sometimes 2 chars. The path system seems awesome but I am not one type of gamer. I love to explore and find vistas (part of the game mechanic or not) and I also love the soldiers play style. I am also sure when the other paths are announced it will also be part of my play style. To keep this short, leveling 1 char I would like to do a little of everything to keep from being board. Not just focus on exploring mostly. This worries me that people will become board over it being something to keep people playing by giving them the type of content they like.
    Zerdav likes this.
  4. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

My only worry is that they plan to release this year and they haven't even started a public beta. I know they have tested a lot with friends and family, but when they finally introduce the game things might totally spin out.
  5. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

Personally, its not the challenge of a 40 man raid that I find unsatisfying. I would consider myself to be a hard-core raider and I love a challenge. What I do not like is being forced to be a part of 500-600 player guild because a roster needs to triple in size to ensure there are 40 people online, at the right time of day, to be able to enter the content in the first place. I don't enjoy large guilds. I never have. They require almost military levels of organization, make drama harder to manage, and create a very impersonal atmosphere. This seems to cater to people who want to be in large guilds. I can understand a desire to want raids larger than 10 people - but 40 is stretching guilds into something I don't want to be a part of at all.
    Blegvad, Mudfin and Ingsoc like this.
  6. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

i TRULY hope that there won't be 2 versions of the same instance, each instance should be unique... one instance can be 40 men, and another one 20, or 10 or w/e, but definitely not other versions of the same instance... difficulty and size should be one.

i ll repeat something i said in the past on another post, players should adjust to the world and not the world to players.

If you can not be part of a raiding guild due to time, there should other content for you, you can't have everything, actually we should not have everything, if for example someone is putting much more effort than you into the game, why to have the same rewards and so on...

I hope Carbine, won't make the mistake other games did such as SWTOR... they should stick to the plan, as they announced it, and if i can recall the plan was the elder game to be for ppl that can actually play it.
    Easy and Draogon like this.
  7. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

Can you tell us why you feel that way? How does the existence of a 20-man version of the raid affect your enjoyment of the 40-man?

You should be happy that you will be getting your big, epic version of the encounter. Is that not enough to satisfy you? It comes across as being somewhat selfish to say that you don't want smaller guilds to be able to enjoy the same content as you.
  8. Rakkis

Rakkis Cupcake

not only that there enough content, but end game content as well that's not all bugged out at launch. I seriously remember only being able to do the first 3 flash points in ToR cuz it was all bugged out (Malicor V anyone?).
  9. Nanfoodle

Nanfoodle Cupcake

Ya I am in the same boat, looking for the high I got from playing EQ1 12 years ago for PvE and then later with DAoC for PvP. Both games are outdated and old for me but I played both for 4-6 years. Trying to find a MMO that will capture me to stay for 2-6 years now days seems a hard uphill battle. I really want to know more about WS to know if this will be the game for me. I have my eye on a few right now. Elder Scrolls Online and Archeage both up there on my watch list with Wildstar. They have to earn my money.
  10. thrastorm7

Ofc i can tell you, cause 20 men is much easier to organize, so several ppl will turn to that, and 40 men raiding will get the boot sooner or later....

"ah we dont have 40 ppl online, npz, lets go 20 men", been there done that. smaller guilds? should grow bigger, they can;t do that? should make an alliance with other guilds, they don't want that also? tough luck...

That's my opinion in order for me to enjoy the game more, obviously you have other views and i respect that.
    Draogon likes this.
  11. nomotog

So the reason you don't want 20 man raids is because people might like them more then the 40 man ones?
  12. Nanfoodle

Nanfoodle Cupcake

Depends on how its done, DAoC had dragons that required 40-80 players to take them down but were done in a way that was very pugable. Also I think a lot of MMOs could learn from DAoC with the guilds/alliance system they used. Makes it easy for guilds to work with other guilds to be able to take down harder objectives. I hope they add alliances in Wildstar.
  13. Zerdav

It's not about people liking them more, it's about them being more efficient, which is against what Carbine wants.
  14. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

So... the game should cater to people who want 40 mans? And ignore the fact that what draws most players to video games is that they tend to be antisocial? I'm not saying its okay to be antisocial. I love that MMOs encourage people to engage with other's in the community - including me. What I am saying is that by and large most gamers are people who tend to struggle in a social setting and feel anxiety about it. I like smaller guilds because I don't like trying to talk over 20 other people in vent that exude the "extrovert" personality which I'm trying to avoid by playing an MMO.

I want the game to be INCLUSIVE. In other words, the game acknowledges the different play-styles of people. I was just listening to a video on Curse about Wildstar and the creative director said the paths were one way Carbine was attempting to be INCLUSIVE of all types of play-styles. By making a raid system which caters only to large guilds, Carbine is being EXCLUSIVE. This, in my opinion, is undermining their design philosophy.

I believe players should be able to have 40 man raids if this is what they prefer. And I believe players should be able to have 20 man raids if this is what they prefer. I'd even be happy if the 40 man raids offered slightly better rewards. But, I do not want to be forced into guilds with populations the size of Los Angeles. Allowing for both means both types of player get what they want.
    Ingsoc likes this.
  15. nomotog

Carbine dosen't want us to be efficient? But I think I get what you mean. They want us to choose the option that is most fun.
  16. thrastorm7

Not really, i don't want them not because people will like them, i don't want them cause people when the hard part starts they will turn to the easier one...

and from my perspective that's something that in the long run will ruin the fun...

and since we will have different sizes, why don't we have different difficulties and then we will end up repeating the content once again...
    Draogon likes this.
  17. Ingsoc

But Carbine also wants us to reward us for doing what we enjoy. If we enjoy raiding in smaller (20-man) settings, where is the reward in giving 40-man raids exclusive content?
    Auryn likes this.
  18. nomotog

Are raids bigger raids actually more fun then smaller raids? Are raids more fun then solo or group content. I mean if raids didn't give the best items, then would people play them?
  19. Ingsoc

This is not true. I showed you in the last thread that the large majority of top 20 guilds in WoW over the last 4 tiers have been 25-man guilds.
    spencerBAXLEY and Auryn like this.
  20. Zerdav

I don't have a problem with 40 man having some different bosses and be placed in a different part of the dungeon, as long as it doesn't bring more challenge and better rewards than 20 mans and 5 mans. That would mean ofc, each of those sizes would have their unique bosses as well.