1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Are there any concerns regarding wildstar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by thrastorm7, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Inda

Inda Cupcake

Pretty sure most suggestions are made because they are thought of as a good idea by the person making the suggestion, not because it was in some former game. Also, you could replace wowkid with ANYMMOkid and it would still hold true lol.
  2. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

I took a look at this game a couple months ago, was less than impressed and moved on. Then Youtube through a vid at me about paths, I looked at it, thought the game was worth another look. Two things have stood out to me and worries me if I'm right on both, and I hope I'm not.

First of all, I am very much against player housing. IMO, that belongs in single player games. In MMOs all I see when I look at player housing is a way for people to isolate themselves and make the game feel more empty. I saw the trailer for player house and first I thought, maybe. The idea of you picking any place to put it is novel and I like. Then the cannon comes out...and I worry again. They make it sound like you NEED protection for your house, from what? Other players? Monsters? Nether is good. Protection from monsters and the ability to place your house anywhere means that you'll have questing areas that are void of monsters, because the cannons are killing everything. Protection from players means that the house and things I took so long to set up, are in danger from a skilled/geared player destroying it all. If the cannon is for looks, fine. If it functions, I see nothing but bad.

The other thing that worried me, was from this vary forum when I came looking for information on the player housing. I seeing a lot of talk about 1%ers, is someone really making a game geared just for the elite? Is the goal of the game just to bring in those people who think they are the best of the best? I worry how quickly the game is going to empty out if that's the case. A model like that will scare off most gamers and make the game feel rather empty. Now I'm not saying there shouldn't be hard content, that there shouldn't be hard goals to reach for, that's a different issue. Put to model AROUND the elite worries me. You need a balance.

I hope my impressions on both of these are wrong, but I feel the need to ask.

I thank you for your time in reading my concerns and answering them.
  3. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

There needs to be a separation in gear between PvP and PvE, because the two playstyles are completely different and rewarding gear that is useful in both areas leads to too many problems.

I myself strangely don't have a problem with cross-realm PvP (mainly because I never cared much for "rivalries") but I detest cross-realm, instant-porting dungeons. Instant-porting kills the open game world, with cross-realm killing server strength and pride.

Sadly, unlike flying, the current iteration looks to be a launch feature we won't be able to petition away. I myself hope Carbine realizes that too much convenience is bad for the game.
  4. Mayjinx

Mayjinx Cupcake

Flying still could be in game though..they havnt said anything about it not been in game but going to try to make all happy...
  5. Brezals

Brezals Cupcake

Tbh, an MMO without the elite players you look up on, feels... very.. odd.

The MMO games I have enjoyed the most, are games where I often checked up on rankings and ladders, to see what the best players did, and I always had the wish that someday. I will be that guy.

It is the same in the real world. you have some very successfull human beings on earth. and you know that you will never achiev their status.
    Why can't MMO have the same feeling?
    Does an MMO always have to cater to the most casual player?
    Does the player that dedicates very little to a game, deserve to be on the same level as the player that is very dedicated to achiev that status?
    What is the definition between those 2?
    Hard to tell.

But in order for an MMO world to have as much authenticity as the "real" world so to speak, there needs to be similarities in my opinion, Catering to the 1% is a good thing, even if I know that I will never become that 1%
  6. Azalus

Azalus Cupcake

You don't place your house anywhere, player housing is instanced, with the ability to invite people over, or open it to the general public, and has nothing to do with killing monsters in the real world.

I can only assume that the 'cannons' you're talking about have to do with warplots, which are a completely separate pvp-only entity.
  7. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

I'm pretty sure this is what every game developer today is striving for, anything else would lead to failure in marketing and sales. They, as a company, want to cater to everyone, or at the very least as many as they possibly can. 40man raids will appeal to a specific crowd, where I see them giving you the option to raid the same content with less players but maybe with different rewards.

This is all in progress and motion and I have a faith that the testers and fan base will lead them in right direction. Your previous concern though is something I can't answer because I simply don't know enough about canons and players attacking your house(?).
  8. Wargrade

Wargrade New Cupcake

I'm glad for cross-server ques honestly.
    Mayjinx likes this.
  9. RedBarroness

RedBarroness New Cupcake

I dont think the 1%ers are a problem.
    At this point this forum group isnt extremely large from what I have seen, so right now the people that post alot are the people who are most hyped and will most likely be the 1%ers who will be in the hardcore PvP and PvE guilds and groups.
    Player housing is instanced and the Warplot idea will be very interesting. I think you can make your house private to make sure that no one can go in it besides yourself.
  10. Miatog

Thanks Azalus for clearing that up for me. Good to know the houses won't just crowd everything or have cannons in the way. The one I'm talking about is on the player housing vid, this link will take you straight to that part. It's just a second or two, but it worried me.
    EDIT: Apparently the site decided to make the vid part of my post, it's right about 1 min in.

You're right Brezals, like I said there's nothing wrong with hard content and having elites to aspire to. But there's a difference between that and building the entire game around them, which was the impression I got skimming the forums.

I hope your right. The game is just starting to shape into something I might be interested in. I have to say I do love the style of humor that the trailers on the site has and that's one of the biggest draws for me right now.

Well one worry put down and another thrown into the hopeful bin, so I'll keep my eye on this, a bit more than I was before. Thank you all for the answers ^_^
  11. Nub

Nub Cupcake

PvP/PvE gear needs to offer different benefits otherwise a dominant player in one can easily be dominant in the other. Old school WoW was horrible in this area as in many cases, the best PvP gear was better than the best PvE gear. Changes were made as WoW aged to tone this down, but it was only recently (this past Tuesday) that Blizzard dropped the emphasis on gear in PvP, which has been met with overwhelmingly positive response from the PvP community. Who'd have thought that PvPers wanted a game based around skill and not gear?

Additionally, LFD isn't a "slight" convenience, it's massive. You can find a dungeon at all hours of the day in WoW even on a dead server. If LFD wasn't in place, or wasn't cross realm, you'd be unlikely to do what you want at your convenience. If Carbine does go through with the "only my server" restriction they're shooting themselves in the foot. It splits the matchmaking pool and just caters to the tin-foil hat folks who don't understand what they want.

MMOs have changed over the years for the better. It's confusing to me as Wildstar seems to embrace this in some areas, like their path and combat systems, but completely abandon this in raiding or PvP.
  12. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

I just started a thread on making the open world interesting. So long as the open world is interesting, they don't need to worry about teleportation because people won't use it all that often. If the open world is so pointless and annoying that people want to skip it all the time, then they'd better damned well let us.
  13. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Sorry what is the latest interview? All of this appears to be old news, with maybe some details added. Nothing that wasn't already established as relating to what I know.
  14. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

I kind of agree. I love the idea of player housing, I want to play it, but I really do hope that I won't be encouraged to spend a ton of time micromanaging it. I mean, listening to some of the dev interviews they talk about logging on at home, doing a bunch of tasks, then going out to adventure, I hope they get the balance right so that the tasks you do on the home plot in order to "maximize your earnings" never take up more than like 5-10 minutes per day. I don't want one of those situations where if I slack off on my housing duties for a couple of days because I've been too busy adventuring, then I've wasted dozens of vegetables and minerals and whatevers that I could have gotten if I'd been harvesting every single day. There needs to be a lot of slack in the system, basically.

Another thing that worries me there is that I'm an altaholic, I just got my 8th level 80 in GW2. If my alts can all share and contribute towards some massive frat house or something then that'd be great, but if each has to get their own home plot and farm it then I don't think I'd have time to do anything else most days.

Yeah, that's worried me too. Watching the Carbine videos about the game got me really hyped, but hearing from some (certainly not all) of the people around here and on the Reddit boards that are like "all the best endgame loot must go to the raiders, raid or GTFO carebears!" have really made me concerned about where the game might be headed to attract such people.
  15. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

They've already stated - and in fact there is a post by a carbine team member on the boards - talking about raid gear, pvp gear, and solo elder game gear ( for soloers, world grouping and 5 man groups ) .
    Don't worry about the vocal minority - wildstar is about having fun while also making stuff to strive for and rewarding folks for what they do.
    If you raid , you have high end raids and gear to strive for. Same for pvp and same for solo/small groups.

If you craft, you can get recipes tailored from what you pursue - so crafters who pvp end up getting lots of pvp focused recipes and tweaks. If they decide one day they want to raid, they find a raid crafter, gear up a bit that way and enter raiding with a guild.

And so on. The info is out there on the boards ! have fun and enjoy ;D
  16. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

It functions but it isn't bad at all :D
    In the housing video you can see that sometimes your neighbours can be attacked by bandits, so that's probably why there is a defensive cannon. So protect your own little piece of Housing vs space-bandits.

2:13 of the video, also just watch THIS housing video, it explains everything better then the Protostar one.
  17. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

On a side note, I love watching these videos from the devs over and over again.
  18. Miatog

Thank you for this! I now, for the first time, am excited for player housing...if it gives me mats on the level I'm working yes then this looks great! Though worried about the bandits thing, hope they can't do much damage...
  19. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

Player housing is instanced as far as I'm aware and I believe it does get invaded by monsters from time to time. I saw a video where someone was having monster issues and one of their friends came and helped them out. I don't believe monsters will just appear and destroy everything one day if you don't have a defense up, or you're not there. That would be silly.

The 1% are usually the ones who stick around and drive the game in progression, I don't know why people don't like them in games. Without them, it's boring.
  20. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Skimming forums will never give you an accurate impression on what they plan on doing with the game. Probably watching all the official vids ( I see someone already directed you to those) and the PAX 2012 and 2013 demo/panel would give you a better picture of what the game will look like.

Concerning the 1%, I think the reason they are making a point out of people knowing there is going to be content for the raiders and the hardcore is other games that have been released recently "failing" badly in that department ( not having the content available or doing a poor job at it). Just to be clear, I still had fun in those games and played them for a fair amount of time but they just didn't last as long as they should have without proper raid content.