1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Are there any concerns regarding wildstar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by thrastorm7, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Sure thing, or at least I would. For me it's about the type of team play and synergies you just can't get out of solo or group content. That's what makes the big raids special for me.
  2. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

I think plenty of games do that, usually the entire leveling process is built for solo players. Carbine seems to be focusing on elder game for all play styles, solo included...

What I'd like to see is actually momre group content, maybe even entire group zones while leveling. Places you don't tread without friends. Bring back a bit of the old-school to the open world! :)
    Mudfin likes this.
  3. Maestric

Maestric Cupcake

I like variety , and so I hope we get lots of variety in terms of weapons and armor ! Something I really didnt enjoy in GW2 was the skins of the weapons and armor while leveling.. I like leveling and having different skins every now and then ^^ , regarding the 40 man raiding, I cant wait for it ! the thing i love about mmo's is hanging around with lots of people , all putting lots of efforth into something ! And so im really looking forward to it , and how telegraphs will work in them ! ^^
    Darkspur likes this.
  4. Renaise

Renaise Cupcake

As I couldn't care less about raiding or PvP I'm hoping there is fun rewarding stuff to do at Elder game for small groups or solo players, they said there is of course but we shall see.

Additionally I hope RPers don't get stiffed with some quality of life things. Chat bubbles, Sitting in chairs, Custom Emotes ect.

Oh another one which I'm hoping is in (I haven't heard either way) I'm hoping you can join multiple guilds.
    Darkspur likes this.
  5. John

John "That" Cupcake

I am just holding out hope that Wildstar will be a game of depth. It seems a lot of recent MMOs are trying to cater to such a wide audience that they have to simplify the game down to almost nothing. More than anything in WS I'd love to see unique classes that have unique synergy with specific other classes. That adds such a richness and complexity to the game.

In short, my concern is that Wildstar will follow the trendy path of oversimplification to appeal to fringe gamers.
    Zinn, Mudfin, Darkspur and 2 others like this.
  6. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Not too concerned about anything right now, I would like to hear a little something on world PvP soon. :)
  7. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

From what I can tell, these guys are putting a ton of attention to various systems, each with their own depth. The character progression, path progression, housing, pvp all seem deep. That's what was missing (along with content) from many recent games, but Carbine seems to be taking both to task!

Class syngergies are a big one... I want to go back to the days where group composition mattered and may have actually been part of the puzzle!
    John likes this.
  8. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

I hope it will be a game of depth too. Though mmos in general aren't too too deep. Complex sure, but not deep. ideally WS would be deep but not too complex.
  9. John

John "That" Cupcake

Agree 100%. When MMOs starting making it ok to jam 25 random people into a group with no thought is when raiding started to go downhill IMO.
  10. arnold

arnold Cupcake-About-Town

I didn't read anything past the first page, but I'm most concerned the Carbine is promising all these amazing things and won't be able to deliver. I'm very excited for everything they've promised so far, but don't want to be disappointed so I'm really hoping they can keep their word.
    Irimii and spencerBAXLEY like this.
  11. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

That is my concern as well where MMOs often are made withe philosophy that everyone wins.

My fears for any new MMO:
    1. Is the game made for Box Sales or to last for years. Meaning front loaded content to attract game hoppers and not long term players. Consequently we get a game with no developed endgame. I was encouraged by Gaffney's recent comments about Carbine's emphasis on working on endgame far in advance of release. He seems like he understands that a polished well developed endgame is what keeps players.

2. Difficulty level - Gaffney talked about how 65% of MMO players are solo and how he wants to create Endgame content for them and then talks about Raids and dynamic content. This wories me a bit as to who the raids will be tuned for. Will it be tuned for casual players, a group of 40 players who do not know each other, or for top raiding guilds. To be a serious raiding game it needs to have difficult and challenging content for top guilds and players. With dynamic raids that change each week it worries me how this can be done as casual guilds will not have a chance of killing bosses that are tuned to be a challenge for top guilds unless there are multiple levels of difficulty. In raiding MMOs Raid bosses get slowly nerfed to broaden the amount of guilds that can kill them after the top guilds are done. This way making content available to everyone. With the dynamic system changing fights each week the normal nerfing system will not work. This makes me wonder how competitive raiding guilds can co-exist with casual guilds in a dynamic system.

Gaffney talked a bit about a possible solution where guilds that kill faster or better (I forget the words he used) will get better rewards. Hopefully we will get more details.

I am concerned about any new MMO but I have been impressed by Carbine and can't wait to hear more information.
  12. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

Lets hope that somehow every will get what he wants!!!!!
    Draogon likes this.
  13. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

Now I am concerned - after seeing the Dominion trailer I am concerned that we are going to have a repeat of SWTOR where there was an overabundance of Empire.
  14. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

People always lean more towards the "evil" side than they do "good" in any game. If you pull up reports/statistics for most games you'll see this. I doubt it will change much here either. Unfortunate or otherwise.
  15. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Not always - Heroes were more popular than Villains in CoH. It remains to be seen how the balance falls in WildStar
  16. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Especially with the Exiles being more of the Firefly/Horde side in WildStar
    Mudfin likes this.
  17. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

I think Dominion will be the popular faction after the video.
  18. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I've always found the reverse to be true most people seem to drift towards good, for example Alliance in WoW, Elyos in Aion. I think in SWTOR the overabundance of empire was more of an anomaly due to empire having awesome force lightning rather than throwing pebbles and some of those republic quests were just terrible.
    Auryn likes this.
  19. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

WAR had tons more Chaos than Order... and Horde got way bigger than Alliance a couple of years into the game
  20. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

I didn't word it the best way. But i think it's true in most cases regardless. I was just trying to find a recent post/tweet, can't remember what it was now where someone from Wildstar stated that very fact. But yea, i can't find it so nevermind.

My experience is

Freeport > Qeynos
    Horde > Alliance
    Empire > Republic

to name a few of the ones i can think of right now that are blatant good/evil factions.