1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Are there any concerns regarding wildstar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by thrastorm7, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

You may be right perhaps my experiences are an example of personal anecdotal evidence not lining up with actual data
  2. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

No way! Exiles all the way.
    Rotto, nomotog and Darkspur like this.
  3. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

Another one of my major concerns is how they implement the Trinity Model. What I mean by this is that the way that the system works currently (in most games that I have played with this model at least) it creates a limited supply of healers and more so tanks.
    I had a thought though - what if the tank was the one who mitigated damage for the raid? Would you then need more tanks so that their mitigation abilities could cover enough ground?
    Have we as players stagnated so much that we always expect there to be 2 tanks 6 to 8 healers and the rest DPS?
  4. SirRobin

SirRobin Cupcake-About-Town

Faction balance? Hmm... Personally I figure Dom > Ex but the in-game impact will depend a lot on how the zones are laid out. Hopefully they will use a system where each side has safe zones, that they can't be ganked in, with a sprinkling of contested zones in between.
  5. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

Excellent. I am glad to hear it. I really need somebody to subjugate... :p
    Auryn and Darkspur like this.
  6. Inferiae

Inferiae Cupcake

My biggest concern is with the combat, the opponents currently don't seem to move intelligently or be particularly well animated, in the IGN video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_haEZDgkIZk) the monsters don't have a 'turn' animation so they just snap instantly to face you when you straife/dodge and it looks cheap, enemies don't appear to look to want to flank you, when he faces the 2 birds, both seem to follow the same movement pattern and it just looks odd, if Carbine are trying to pass Wildstar off as an action combat MMO it needs a tonne of love to make it look more fluid than it currently does

Though this is also very early footage and I'm sure they're aware of this ;)
  7. SDR

SDR Cupcake

I'm mostly concerned about Wildstar starting as P2P and then going to F2P... A game should stick with its payment model. That, and well... NCsoft.
  8. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

the only real concern for me is that this will become a gear based game. I don't want it and I think it is a cheap cop out. Give us some form of AA for us to fill out our toons. Now if it does lean more towards gear than they must...MUST separate PvE from PvP. I will not tolerate the 40 man uber sword of doom to be used in PvP. All things being "equal" PvP should always, ultimately, come down to player skill and not gear from a PvE enviroment.
  9. Mosene

Mosene Cupcake

Actually my former Vanilla guild had around 45 people(mains) and around 20-30 alts and we had no problem filling up a full raid everytime.And how is 3x40=5-600 anyway...You dont need a zerg guild to get 40 ppl you need quality and dependable players.

My oppinion on this anti-large raid is that actually most people don't have what it takes to deal in this environment and they make up all sort of excuses in order to get same reward with lesser hassle.I realise most ppl played recent wow and they got used to getting easy loot with a 2-group raid and they dont want to step away from that. All in all regardless of what we discuss here 40-man raids have been confirmed in WS and as far as I know in TESO too so I'm guessing developers realise old mmo vets want that back.
  10. CantCatchGoonies

CantCatchGoonies New Cupcake

The Community,difficulty ,bots and the holy trinity. I found that GW2 has one of the best communities i've ever played with,mostly because of the factors in place ahead of time.The combat looks very simple and almost too easy. The bots/gold sellers you cant really stop but i do hope WS goes B2P it adds less incentive to actually keeping bots unbanned. I've always disliked the holy trinity simply because there's always an imbalance, and what if you cant find a healer?
    These are just my many concerns and cant wait till more is revealed.
  11. Duckdee

Duckdee Cupcake-About-Town

Kill things quicker! :p
  12. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

Erm gw2 community? I wouldnt say that... i ll agree though that the combat was way too easy...
    Draogon likes this.
  13. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

I can't speak for everyone, but for myself I've been playing WoW since Vanilla and have done every raid size from 40 to 10. It has nothing to do with "don't have what it takes". To me that's a pretty elitist assumption.

I simply prefer small guilds and groups of people, because there is less chance of having to play with elitists, asshats, creeps and downright annoying people. Maybe I'm the elitist, who knows. But I prefer to spend my leisure time playing with people I enjoy. As soon as I am forced to join a big raiding guild (even 60+ people), I have far less control over who I surround myself with, as opposed my 10-man guild where everyone is pretty cool.

Forcing endgame PvE'ers into uncomfortable social situations in order to see content just sucks. If that's what I have to do in Wildstar to raid top tier, then that's what I'll do. I don't expect I'll be overly happy about it though.
    Mudfin likes this.
  14. thrastorm7

I fully respect what you say, and up to some extend i agree even.... but answer me that, dont you think that the feeling when you bring down a boss with 40 men, is truly epic?
    Draogon likes this.
  15. Gangrel

Gangrel New Cupcake

Just to point out that Arenanet only announced their release date 2 months before it hit the shelves, and although there were open (and closed) beta weekends for testing, they were generally once a month.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Beta

It is also worth pointing out that ArenaNet did also run *numerous* "stress testing" weekends (well days to be honest, as they normally lasted just a few hours) in the run up to launch.

There is still time for everything to get started, especially if they are aiming for a Autumn/Winter launch. The most important thing is "how far along is everything *internally*".
  16. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

Carbine want to make an actual beta though. Anet's beta wasn't that so much because some of the feedback they got they ignored.
  17. spencerBAXLEY

spencerBAXLEY Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, and that was a horrific nightmare. Arenanet relied (and honestly still does rely) on their internal testing team entirely too much.

Something I'd like to see in WildStar is a Public Test Realm (PTR) and considering there are a lot of ex-Blizzard devs on the team I think that's a pretty large possibility. I know developers like to think they are omniscient and can do no wrong, but changes need to be tested by a larger and more diverse group than an internal testing team allows for.
  18. Gangrel

Gangrel New Cupcake

Agreed. A public test server is going to more beneficial in the long run... especially if the developers make it nice and easy to transfer your characters over (unlike the City of heroes test server setup... where the character copy tool could and would go down for any reason).

But that is something that happens *after* the launch of the game, and not necessarily before the launch (although it would be nice to have it up as the game goes live).

I would also like players to realise that the PTR is *not* a permanent play ground and that character deletions/wipes/whatevers can and will happen. I know of CoX players who complained when the test server was wiped, saying that all of their progress had been lost...

sorry, no sympathy for you there. It is a test server for testing, and not for permanent playing.

/derail
    spencerBAXLEY likes this.
  19. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

See, for me, the epic feeling comes from defeating the encounter with friends and people I have been social with in game. For me that can't occur with 40 other folks. Now I didn't raid 25 or 40 in WoW, just 10. But I did raid the planes in EQ and they were larger by far than 40 man raids. While the win was cool, the best celebration I had was with the debuff group of 4 I was in. Why? Because I knew them.

I can agree that it would be nice to have different raids for the different sizes, but I doubt that's feasible at the moment. I also understand why people want just want one size. I'm the same way when it comes to focus on solo vs group. People generally take the path of least resistance. The one thing to consider is that like WoW did in Cata the smaller raids content is not always easier, organization is, and organization only poses a challenge for the leaders, for the rest it's just boring.

Also, as far as testing goes, don't they have a core test going on now? Isn't that where the "questions from a tester" came from? I know I was in Rift's Alpha and it basically went straight to a brief 2 week beta and then I believe it was 4 "Open" betas and then release, and Rift was one of the better launched games in a while.
  20. thrastorm7

Did i make any assumption about you? Nope i didn't, why do you?

You assume that i raid with 40 that i am not friends with, i can tell you with absolute certainty that you are mistaken, i have no doubts that you enjoyed killing the encounters with 10 ppl.... i have to tel, you though, that in vanilla wow where i had the chance to play with 40 other ppl we were all friends, and we managed to establish a great community, in fact when blizzard announced that raids will be 25 ppl several ppl were rly angry and sad, due to the fact that the guild had to split...

The fact that you raided once with 40+++ randoms says nothing, so you shouldn't be using it as an experience regarding our issue here....

Additionally i never said that there should not be raids for 10 ppl or 20 or w/e... i just prefer to be on separate instances and not different versions of the same one....

I ll keep repeating that player should adjust on the world, and not the world to players
    Draogon likes this.