1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Art Art by Artificer: Wildstar inspired Concept Art

Discussion in 'WildStar Fan Creations' started by Artificer, Oct 10, 2013.

1. sailKite

sailKite New Cupcake

WHOA. Hold the phone. Don't drop it. Is that a pommel spur? Is that a pommelspur sawblade? And there's a swordbreaker on the back look look! I suppose that's not exactly correct if it's a two-hander... unless it's a leverage point for half-handing! That would be ÜBER-cool if the sword could be used for Germanic-style swordsmanship, though its shape and weight probably would not allow an exact translation of the maneuvers from longswords into maneuvers with the veritable chainsword you've drawn. One thing I've got in mind for that back protrusion is something called a mordhau or 'murder-hew:' basically you invert your grip on the weapon such that you hold it by the blade, and then you pretty much cudgel the poor thing you're fighting with (usually) the pommel, hilt, and crossguard, but given the there's no real guard, the next best thing in really close range would be to bludgeon someone with that back piece. Of course, gripping the blade on a monster like that would require huge lumbrical muscles, I'd guess, or else modifications to facilitate a specific grip, but fighting in the German style with it would probably be great fun.

That Draken, on the other hand, could care less about German sword techniques, huh? Good-ole' Stalker clawblades, crazy-big horns, a solid mane, beard, tasteful loincloth, skull belt... everything's accounted for! Curious though: does he have some form of cybernetic augmentation or implant on his right shoulder (and possibly extending to his right pectoral region as well?) I can't tell if that's just armor or if it's actually a modification of his body proper.

Awesome work, Artificer!

P.S.: Maybe some Spellslingerness/pistols next? c:
    Artificer likes this.
  2. Artificer

Artificer Cupcake-About-Town

Thank you! Spellslingers a possibility. ;)
  3. Death

Death Cupcake-About-Town

Oh I would LOVE if we could have those horns in game.
    Artificer likes this.
  4. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Needless to say, we're horny about those horns.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  5. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

In a game with over-the-top weapons, I think the spur might be a bit too much. The handle probably needs to be longer. You made great choices with the coloring. The multiple utility aspects of it remind me of a knife you might find in a Rambo movie.
  6. Prof. Walrus

Prof. Walrus Cupcake

Not only does your art impress, but also your speed! Everything that's on the 1st page is made within 14 days!!

I say: Send your resume to Carbine and you've got our support!
    Artificer likes this.
  7. Artificer

It was definitely not thought out very much. I totally agree that the handle could be extended and the spur...yeah that may very well be too much lol. I am not even sure if Rambo could wield this badboy.
  8. Artificer

Everything with the exception of the environment, that was just a filler while coloring the Cassian Warrior. :) Thanks so much Professor! Maybe one of these days I'll grow a pair and send it in. :D
  9. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Look at that sword. That sword is amazing.

Lovely use of grey and pink. Pink is such an underused colour in instruments of murder, that seeing it here is such a joy.

I love the craggy, uneven edge of the sword, as if it was constructed by beating two rocks against each other till one had a vaguely sword like shape. The "teeth" are great in their similarly uneven and vague shapes (very rough-hewn; amazing effect) and the axe blade on the side is an interesting addition.

I don't know how this thing will perform in an actual fight, or how you're supposed to handle the damn thing, but it is awesome.

P.S. Sawblade pummel! Again, love the rough, uneven edges giving it a very Stone Age, pre-War on Gnox feel. Also reminds me of Spore, which is also a bonus.

Ferocious! I love how his head and those teeth give me a very "rat" feel, a ferocious rodent who's eager to gnaw on your bones. The regular Draken male face is boring to me, and this look is very, very interesting; I particularly love his beard and mane, with their appearance like a rat's.

Look at those horns. They defy gravity and good sense. Awesome.

I love how his skull belt has faces on them. I like the variety of expressions and the glow which makes them all the more fun.

Stalker claws! Excellent work on making the blades look like a mix between tech and ornate, traditional leather-work; the combination looks fantastic.
    Maddog Charlie and Artificer like this.
  10. Artificer

So I only had a small pocket of time to do something this morning so I went with something I could do pretty fast...random snowy terrain concepts <shrugs>. More like exercise really...Have a great Wildstar Wednesday everyone and don't forget to check out Nexus Weekly! Gray and Pseudo talk about my 5-star review I gave them on iTunes! :)

[​IMG]
    SisterSin and ruff_ethereal like this.
  11. Artificer

Been busy pulling my portfolio together so I have been sidetracked in a good way. Anyways, I got a new scanner/printer tonight and I am just all the more amped so keep an eye out! This is obviously a WIP, but I am picking up speed every time. Enjoy.

[​IMG]
  12. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

So, yeah, I immediately thought of this with that statement.
  13. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Hello, you sandstone-skinned beauty; I look forward to seeing you in all your glorious finished detail. I'm sure your creator will do a fantastic job of that.
    Malifykai, Artificer and Jynetik like this.
  14. Jaxxa

Jaxxa Cupcake

Your artistic prowess is fantastic and this lil beaut will add to the stack of reasons why I can't wait to play a female draken!
    Artificer likes this.
  15. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I'm still going to enslave you Artificer, just you wait.
  16. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Ooh. Just checked out your portfolio. Those pieces are excellent.

This is all simply my opinion:
    Since you are quite varied, I would probably place some of the different pieces in the first grouping of the slide presentation, towards the beginning. For the ones that seem to demonstrate your different skills & styles, I would probably choose the Caltrop mech, the line art mage armor, and maybe the rune guardian or earth elemental. If these were closer to the front of the lineup with your initial pieces, then a viewer could see all of your diversity quickly without having to look through the entire portfolio. This way you can show your proficiency with Environment, Character Illustration, Armor Design, Mechanical Design, Creature Design, Anatomy, Composition, Line, and Lighting all towards the beginning. I would then probably group like pieces in order after that, environment with environment for example, just to show that you can indeed reproduce quality work in the same style.

I would leave the first three pieces you have in their order, since they all demonstrate something different. When looking at them sequentially, the drastic contrast between the first environment and the character illustration is significant. When I noticed that, I thought "wow, this artist has a wide range of capable styles". But, the next three images each seem to fill similar skill demonstrations. Personally I'd prefer to keep the NecroClass piece in the first set and move the Death Angel down in the sequence due to their similar styles.

Instead of me trying to describe the order I was thinking, I'll write it out...

My preferred initial Order:

Crazy Town, Warrior, Creepy Village, NecroClass, Raid Boss, Mage Armor, Caltrop, Rune Guardian ... followed by Environments, Concept creatures, Concept Armor, and Illustrations.

I really like the Pirate Ninja's lighting and composition, but the character looks more like a concept, and so I don't know where that would be placed in this lineup. (edit): The pistol she's holding is mainly what makes the piece feel more like a concept instead of an illustration. If you added some detail to the gun and the clothing covering her waist, I think you could make the piece be more of a full illustration. The black foreground mass could also use some edge detailing to make it look more like a ship bow than a brush stroke.

The Raid Boss in particular is something I've never seen the likes of, and so, I believe it should be in the first set.

These were my ideas when I viewed the portfolio, and there's many ways to go about it. If you are presenting the pieces in a different way, for example as in you wanted to present the most striking pieces first, then that is a very valid approach. I merely wanted to add input if it can help in any way. Best of luck!
    Artificer likes this.
  17. Artificer

That is absolutely wonderful feedback Dysp! I totally appreciate you taking the time to write out an explanation as it says something about your character being genuinely helpful. I'm totally going to take a better look at the layout of both the portfolio as a whole, and also the various pieces that may need to be touched upon.

Thanks again friend!
    Dysp likes this.
  18. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Have fun concepting! ;)
    Artificer likes this.
  19. Artificer

Indeed I will. I have some stuff on its way ;)
  20. Artificer

A tiny bit more progress here. ;)

[​IMG]
    Ianpact, Jaxxa, Bantheera and 3 others like this.