1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Art Art by Artificer: Wildstar inspired Concept Art

Discussion in 'WildStar Fan Creations' started by Artificer, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Nice colors. The burnt looking colors of the draken work really well against the grisaille background.
    Artificer likes this.
  2. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

...is she wearing pants or anything?
  3. Artificer

Artificer Cupcake-About-Town

Pants are on the way, they just haven't been top priority ;)
    Ianpact likes this.
  4. Artificer

and one last update before I head out...

[​IMG]
  5. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

thats what she sa- oh wait that was already the joke

and right, bikini armor

didnt see that coming
  6. Count Oakland

Count Oakland New Cupcake

Female Draken do not have to wear pants because they do not have anything to cover.
    [​IMG]
    Artificer likes this.
  7. Death

Death Cupcake-About-Town

Keep up the excellent work Art. :)
    Artificer likes this.
  8. Sojiro84

Sojiro84 New Cupcake

Looks fantastic!

I wish I could draw but my drawing skills are limited to that of a 5 year old.

Is being able to draw good a skill one can learn and master or do you need to be "born" with it?
    Artificer likes this.
  9. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

In extremely rare individuals, it's both. In most artists, and thus majority of the "masters" of art, they all started out terrible, and persisted till they eventually became better through devoted study, hard work, and just plain drawing.
    Sojiro84 and Dysp like this.
  10. Artificer

I look back at some of the art I have done, and it becomes extremely clear that there is a learning curve. So that proves that everyone starts somewhere, whether they are not so good, sort of good or extremely talented. I do think that it comes more naturally for some, but really all that does in my opinion is give a nice head-start.

Honestly, anyone can learn to draw. People say,"I could never do that, I'm just not any good." Really all they're saying is that they have already decided that they will not be making an effort to do so. This sort of thing is not for the weak willed. Just like anything else, it will take dedication and time.

Here are a few elements that I have found to be of upmost importance. I will also note that there are a ton of helpful youtube videos and other resources that can assist you in the process. Do your homework ;)

The break-down:

1: Inspiration - You have got to find inspiration. It is essential for the next process to even take place. Open a book, hop online, check out some cool art websites or think of a game that you enjoyed the art style and study it's "Art Of" book. In short, just find art that really appeals to you and look through it until you just feel that urge to do something similar. Which brings us to our next step..

2: Motivation - This will not happen without step one in my opinion as they are tied directly to each other. You have got to get "That Feeling". It's like a life force that pushes you to try...simply try. Now you've got to understand that this step may not last long, or you may find that it lasted quite a while. You can always resort back to step one until you are ready to try again. Pretty short and simple...If you aint motivated, then you're most likely not going to do anything.

(Another thing that really helps this process for me is to find things that compliment the process. I.E. I have found that getting up early, throwing on a pot of coffee and then starting the steps above works best, whereas if I get home from work "The Grind" all my juice is gone and it is much harder to jump into the process.

3: Discipline - Another word that could be used for this step is "Dedication". You just have to do it....Let me say this again to stress it, "You..just..have...to...do...it." Oh wait, and also you have to keep on doing it..Over and over and over and again. There are many forms of practice, and I think this is where doing some homework will really come in handy. A couple things that help are keeping a sketchbook to scribble in, daily speed-paintings on your computer and even mimicking something that has already been done (Just don't try and steal the credit for it - just learn from it) Repeat, repeat, repeat. I suggest keeping sketches fast and loose..you can tidy up your lines when you have basic forms laid out, but in the meantime keep it fast and dirty (Oh knock it off! For all you who are thinking in the gutter). This stage could also be called "Exercise". I really don't think many people are just "Great" at things naturally. They may find out they're "Good" but then with further training and practice they become great.

Okay, so those are the basics...now for the cool part.

Confidence: - This is something that obviously only comes from following the above steps and will push you into the future boldly as you persist on becoming a better artist. As this all becomes more natural, you'll find yourself smiling because you know....you just know that this is your best piece yet! So you keep trying and you keep getting better. I look back at the drawings I did when I was little, the ones where the Ninja Turtles had like 12 biceps and chuckle.

Anyhoo, Hope this helps ;)
  11. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

I think I'm going to steal (quote) that and add it to the now stickied art thread, if you don't mind.
    Artificer likes this.
  12. Artificer

Absolutely my friend! Anything to help further an aspiring artist..although this stuff really applies to anyone wanting to do anything in all reality. ;)
  13. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Just wanted to add, I too started drawing as a kid with ninja turtles. :D My friend taught me how to draw them by drawing a lot of ellipses for the muscles and body. We didn't understand at that point that you were meant to erase those structure shapes to build the contour, so the drawings were just a lot of ellipses. :p
    Artificer likes this.
  14. Death

Death Cupcake-About-Town

Look how far you've come since then Dysp :). Yer one of the best artists in our community. Ninja turtles were one of the first things I drew too. :)
    Dysp likes this.
  15. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Thank you very much! :D Heroes in a half-shell, turtle power!
    Siflay and Artificer like this.
  16. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

Lol. I didn't so much draw as free hand copy the turtles from a poster.

My love of art was in drawing women though, even as early as Jr. high school. Not nude so much as I just love the overall forum, clothed or not, though, I'm sure it would have went there eventually. ;) Unfortunately for me, discouraging teachers who seem to think I was just perverted and bulling kids convinced me to stop and I just gave up drawing and writing altogether. If only I could have my youth back with the knowledge I have now I would have just laughed at all of their silliness and maybe be in a better place now.

Guess what I'm trying to say kids, is just because some don't like what you draw or don't have the maturity to understand it, is no reason to give up. If you love doing it, push through it all and one day they'll all marvel at your skills. :D
    Artificer likes this.
  17. Artificer

It's never too late ;) Plenty of support here at WSC.
    Siflay likes this.
  18. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Speaking of getting into drawing, I need to figure out which drawing tablet to get for Christmas! Lots of decisions! Maybe I can start some projects over winter break. :)
  19. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Monoprice. Less than 50 bucks for some very good beginner's tablets. If you're upping the ante, skip straight to Wacom Intuous and never touch Bamboo.
  20. Artificer

Been a bit slack on posting lately due to a crazy work schedule, among other things. I am also trying to prep for Blizzcon so bare with me. More on it's way, I promise ;) Thanks to all of you who hang around and check on me regularly. -Much Love- :inlove:

I have only ever had one. The Intuos 3. It has served me very well. I think any will do though, just get your hands on one and practice practice practice! The equipment is just a tool, but the skill will come through exercise. ;)
    Siflay and Xlugon Pyro like this.