1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Art Director Matt Mocarski: It's All About Style

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Mr.Mike, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Original Founder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In this new blog post, Matt goes into the design process on how Carbine came up with their very unique art style for the game. He also confirms the new space shot is actually a still taken from the trailer, which will debut at gamescom. Enjoy!

**********​
    Hi. I'm Matt Mocarski, the Art Director here at Carbine Studios. Today I'm going to talk about the visual direction of the game and when I'm done give you a sneak peek of a still from our debut trailer, which you will see in its full glory at gamescom.

When we started this project, we had a couple goals in mind for the art. We wanted to be sure that we developed something that was iconic and recognizable as a signature of our game. When gamers see our game, we want them to instantly know that it's Carbine's MMO.

So, we started looking at the things out there that have influenced us as artists. Mainly, American and European comics and American and Japanese animation. Across all of these were some recurring themes, such as expressive characters with high-personality, and lush beautiful backgrounds.

Click here to continue reading the blog post...
    Scrawny and Glouspf like this.
  2. souper

souper Founding Member

Good read. One would expect a visually distinct game based on the concept art. Can't wait to see what all their efforts yield.
    Glouspf likes this.
  3. Ekhael

Ekhael Founding Member

Well that partially answers the distinct change in art that was released. Like if you look at the first couple of concept art that was released they were a different style to the next set which was different to what we're seeing now which makes me wonder did the game take a completely different shift so the artwork had to suit or did the artwork have to shift to match the game which was being developed. Man o man bring on gamescon so god damn curious about whats being made behind those closed doors!
    Glouspf likes this.
  4. Mef

Mef Founding Member

Again I am reminded of Team Fortress 2, which also has a very unique and fun comic look and it had technology specifically developed to support its art style.
    It's one of the best games I've ever played, so if Carbine's game is of similar quality I'll be very happy!

Really looking forward to the announcement!
    Glouspf likes this.
  5. Saure Heringe

Saure Heringe New Cupcake

This is relevant to my interests. I hope it is what I think it is.
  6. Guerulent

Guerulent New Cupcake

Ukraine, Kharkiv Region, Kupyansky District
    Style is very important in contemporary game-development. Tons of Chinese MMO's, anime-style MMO's, I'm sick of it. But when I saw trailer... Hmm, it looks like Torchlight, but also there is something original. I kinda like that.
  7. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

Disney, it looks like an adult disney movie. Like the style.
  8. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

Really good read. I, personally, really like this art style. It is "fun" to look at, and is incredibly inviting. I can't wait to see more.
  9. Scrawny

Scrawny Cupcake

Great article! I have to agree, it might just be personal preference, but one of the reason WoW to this day is such a draw is the unique art style that is not based in realism, but is not ridiculously cartoony. It is unique and that is what I see from the Carbine, a very unique art style that makes me want to dive headfirst into the game.
    ImmortalExile likes this.
  10. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

I absolutely agree with you there!
    And about WoW, when I first played I thought it looked so dumb and childish, but I kept playing, and I loved entering a new zone for the first time... I explored every corner, every cave, every bit of water... I was an exploring whore! The art grew on me so fast...

With this style here, it very much does remind me of the Hellboy animated flicks, and even some Manga that I've read through. Despite what's being said around the rest of the gaming community- I prefer this art style to any "realism".
    Scrawny likes this.
  11. blubox

blubox New Cupcake

I feel that MMO's tend to age must faster when they present a form of realism. One of the reason WoW stays as interesting is the style isn't completely degraded by furthering technology.

Another way to think of it is that we know what real looks like, but when we see a distinctive characterization as long as it's well done it can last forever, which is something I believe exists here.
  12. .selebu

.selebu Cupcake

The art style is the first thing you notice about a game, therefore it is of very high importance.
    For me, it drew me to this game!