1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Artifical Limbs in the Exiles

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by ruff_ethereal, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

The Mordesh often have entire sections of their bodies replaced with prosthesis and cybernetics. Dorian Walker, the famous Exile explorer, has a robot arm and leg. Judge Kain's right arm also appears to be robotic.

With loss of limb seemingly a pretty common thing in the Exiles, I started asking myself: where do they get the parts or the expertise to craft all of these robot body parts? How do you attach a robotic limb to a flesh and blood socket? Is a robotic arm as effective as your old one? Do you have to pay for your own prosthesis, or does the Accord provide you one for free, as a crippled Exile costs more than the parts? And how are artificial limbs treated in the Exiles? Is it perfectly normal or is their a sort of stigma?

Your thoughts, please?
    Tribe likes this.
  2. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

Not all exiles have prosthesis, just the Mordesh.
  3. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

The parts from scavenged mechari that the granok beat up.

The idea of being able to have an option for robot parts is attractive, but unlikely. Especially with Carbine saying how distinct they wanted each race to be in terms of body shape. As for Walker and Judge Kain, both are NPCs. Also, possible to take into account each of their ages. Or, maybe Walker was just clumsy.
  4. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

I have not seen a screenshot of Judge Kain, but this is Dorian Walker. You might say he's not real Mordesh looking.

[​IMG]

Do you have a screenshot or other image for the Judge?

I don't have many thoughts, lore wise, about prosthetic limbs among the Exiles. But I wish prosthetics were an option for appearance, equipment, or a type of advancement for player characters. Dating myself here, Final Fantasy Legends III made use of a transformation system that conveyed both benefits and detriments for using cybernetics.

Besides, if the Exiles had access to prosthetics wouldn't they just switch sides and join the Dominion?

CaRaDaGaiTa likes this.
  5. Satarn

Satarn Cupcake-About-Town

Wouldn't be so sure...
    Clipboard02.png
    This one is taken from the aiming dev speak, definitely a player character. Obviously not a mordesh judging by the skin color and also confirmed by Carbine to be a human, if I remember correctly. I suppose it is actually very possible to get certain armors or some sort of accessories that include mechanical limbs. Normally proportioned parts don't really change the silhouette all that much anyway.
    Sonntam, Roda, ruff_ethereal and 4 others like this.
  6. Domi Dayglow

Neat! We may not be able to make the addition of cybernetic parts in character creation, but it is nice to now that such additions can be tied to armors. Maybe not as much customization options, but the choice is still there.
  7. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

Well, aparently, tribe and satarn images say i'm wrong. Cool for exiles! Just don't make sense for the humans, do they used the same elixir of the mordeshes?
  8. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Now if we only had the requisite thirteen virgins*, satanic pâté, tears of Eurasian children, white buffalo hide, hubcaps to a DeLorean, etc. etc. to summon CRB_J-Tal. But alas, the next full moon is not until November 17th... and I seem to have misplaced my Rubix's Cube, :oops: ruling out using the Lament Configuration... so we'll just have to hope he appears of his own volition to clear things up on this thread.

*neckbeards simply won't do
  9. Whisp157

Whisp157 New Cupcake

I just think of the Automail limbs in Fullmetal Alchemist, which was set in the 1940's. If they can have this tech, why wouldn't societies that have developed space travel have some sort of advanced technology to enchance their bodies if they so desired?
  10. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

A belated welcome to WildStar Central. Here is a link to the Personal Introductions Forum. You are not required to post there but doing so is a good way to meet some of our friendliest members. Tell Kat I said hi.
  11. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Very cool find. I am a big proponent of allowing player characters to have mechanical limbs either through character creation, as a "reward" for a super long and optional quest chain, or as an achievement kick-back etc... Mechanical limbs, along with the always awesome eye-patch is just roleplaying gold, and not terribly common in the MMO space. Would be a very cool and welcome edition to our already immense line-up of character customization options, hope it makes it into the game for all of the playable races.
    Sonntam likes this.
  12. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

Well if exile humans have been shown to often have artificial limbs, this might be part of why they left the dominion, anyone remember industrial era history with how often child workers would be employed and maimed while working on machines?

Exile humans might be the disgruntled working class in an industrial empire, and are no longer willing to risk their well-being on fueling a machine that only cares for the livelyhood for the elite.

This could also be used to fuel a lore attempt to have the factions speak different languages, could be like Irish((Gaeilge) vs British English.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  13. Satarn

Accidents happen and they happen a lot if you have bad luck of getting in a group with bad tank or healer : P

Speaking of which, I wonder if we could get some other mechanical replacements, like tails perhaps or maybe some sort of metal fillings for the garnoks... "mismatching" parts for the mechari could be quite funny and interesting rp-wise as well. automail.png
    Roda and ruff_ethereal like this.
  14. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

[​IMG]

Look closely at his right shoulder and you'll see the armour there has been ripped to shreds, as if it were blown off or torn off. His robot arm starts just beneath his shoulder. He also appears to have had an eye replaced, too.
    Roda and Tribe like this.
  15. Domi Dayglow

I like this idea and it would also make sense. I mean if the cyborg parts are linked to certain costumes and armor it's kind of redundant for a mechari to have a ...mechanical arm. Mish-matched parts would add a lot of character.
  16. Deslo

Deslo New Cupcake

What would be even weirder would be if that a Mechari replaced a damaged robot arm for a human one.

I'd reckon if artificial limbs will be in the game, Exiles would look crude and scrappy, while of course them Dominion getting sleeker, clean looking designs.
  17. Satarn

Lol, the inner image. That would be just as hilarious as it'd be creepy.

Yeah, no idea why almost everyone seem to only think about Exiles here, if there will be a possibility to get automail on your character, it'll probably be available for everyone. The fact we've seen only Exile NPCs with such(idk what faction was the pc I posted, you may never know with dem humans), but as I said - accidents happen. I suppose the Dominion parts could indeed be a bit... "prettier" though.
  18. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

If you can all have robot limbs, I want a human limb as a mechari!
  19. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I could see Carbine expanding their costume system to include items that influence bone deep appearance options. It would be perfect for a costume system.
  20. Agneos

Agneos Cupcake

No. The Elixir in the Mordesh's limbs is there to stop their flesh eating disease. Their prosthetic body parts are the result of their flesh eating disease. In short: The disease took their limbs, they replaced their limbs, and filled their new limbs with this disease fighting elixir.

As for the humans, they're different. We've seen humans and Granok with robotic arms and legs, but that doesn't meant they have the same disease as the Mordesh. No. Who's to say they didn't get their arms chopped off? Blown off? Incinerated? Etc. That's the reason these Humans and Granok would have these prosthetics.

In terms of in game prosthetics, my money is on armor that just replaces your arms/legs when equipped. I don't believe we'll have the option to customize Humans (Or other races for that matter, besides the Mordesh) to have robot arms/legs. I'm just guessing here, but like I said, probably just equip armor.