1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

At around what level does the game feel less single player?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Nephrium, May 14, 2014.

1. Nephrium

Nephrium New Cupcake

Hey there! I'm new around here, and at the moment still a bit on the fence about the game.

You see, I have only played to level... 6? I think? As an exile in the open beta, and even after the tutorial ship, once I have landed the game feels... Hmm, guided? I don't mean this as a bad thing, not for many people at least it keeps things what they would consider fast paced. It's just that well, I feel like I can't leave the area on the map until I work through the main story, and no I don't mean that I am personally compelled to do so, but that the game gives no other option.

I mean, even in WoW... Up until WoTLK at least since I didn't get to play past that, if I wanted to, with either help from a higher level, or just plain luck I could go nearly anywhere even at level one, the only loading needed being an instance or crossing to another continent because it was all open if you could get past the mobs.

So basically, does the world open up? Is it already open and I am just blinded by the fact that doing quests makes things change in the landscape? Or, am I limited to being loaded in to a certain area, and then having to wade through several quests before I can move on to the next area, only to be teleported there?

I like big cities where people flock, being able to just run out and head somewhere else. If I am paying 60 bucks for a game, especially an MMO, I feel like it should have that sort of openess, cause really, is it all that massively multi-player if only a small portion of the players are in a small portion of map space that they have to take a teleporter to get to?

Yes, it is just me, but for that I can download something free like neverwinter, no the game isn't as polished, but it also doesn't cost 60 bucks plus a monthly fee.

That being said, I really hope at even 20 or what ever everything seems less enclosed... Does it? Or is it just going through one chunk of the world, teleporter, loading screen, another chunk? I really hope not...
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

once you get out of the two starting zones - 1-3 arkship and 3-6 for the next zone - there are no more loading screens unless you go to a different continent or go into an instance (instances start at level 15 with Adventures, 20 for Dungeons).
    Dalrok likes this.
  3. Nephrium

Nephrium New Cupcake

And that is -exactly- what I was hoping to hear! Thank goodness! And you as well! I was so afraid it was going to be "Hey, there is this huge planet, but you don't even get to freely explore even a continent of it, just chunks that you are portaled to!" and I am so glad that that isn't the case, guess later I will grind through some more to get out of the second starting area so I can see more! Awesomness!
  4. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

They also have said there will be an entire new zone added within a month of launch, so that will expand the area even more. I'm hoping they will continue adding to it over the course of the first year.
  5. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I think that the first two zones, of either faction, are there mostly to teach people how to play and the concepts of the game. There is come content in those areas that are made for groups. Like the really big, scary monsters or the zone events. There's also the bounty board quests which are much easier with people.

Around level fifteen? I think that's a good place to put a sign that says 'Group Content ahead'. The first adventures and dungeons are unlocked. After that you expand into more shiphands. You unlock more abilities and PvP battlegrounds seem more of a draw.

But for cities will people congregate? I don't think you are going to see very much of that now in open beta. People will likely congregate there at launch for crafting and the market. Even then, for a couple months after launch, people are going to be out in the world.
  6. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

Considering how they eliminated the Global Advice channel it is likely we will see a lot of the discussion in the capitals or in the early zones.....
  7. Domi Dayglow

That's very true. Also, a lot of shiphands can be accessed from the capital cities as well.
  8. RavenWind

RavenWind Well-Known Cupcake

Not to mention they sprinkled a healthy dollop of semi-elite mobs all around the world starting about level 7. They have a red sheen to them and generally require 2 or more. After about 15 the mobs can be challenging (not even including the Red Ones), so partnering up (or mentoring down as the case may be) is always a boon.
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  9. Benevon

Benevon Cupcake-About-Town

1 - 6 is straight up tutorial. It's heavily guided for that reason and requires no grouping. Once you get out of there you will start finding bounty boards for 2 man group quests, tougher roaming mobs and a much bigger world. Like already mentioned, 15 is when the major group content starts. That gives you a few solid levels to learn the basics of the game and the class before jumping into the stuff that requires coordination.

I don't think I've ever played an MMO that wasn't heavy on the solo stuff for the first few levels (I think swtor had some group stuff on the starter planets but I cant remember for sure).
  10. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

Did they actually killed that channel. I think I still see advice channel but maybe it is not global.
  11. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

The real question to ask is if your next twinked character gonna have a solo experience or will he still need to group for some open world quests all those elite monsters. I hope they won't destroy WS with something like hairlooms.
  12. Benevon

It's still around, just not used as heavily as before. It's now zone specific rather than global. A change for the better if you ask me lol.
    Gronky likes this.
  13. Domi Dayglow

On opening day, I'm going to run around on my esper and look for a nearsighted, accident prone, impulsive Engineer/warrior/stalker and make friends! Then group content will start early.
  14. Nephrium

Nephrium New Cupcake

People are sheep, we will -always- congregate in areas. So I say even at the start there will be a bunch of people just standing around hanging out and shouting random things in a major area. None-the-less, my main worry was just that it was all enclosed to smaller portioned areas, and you have to go through a loading screen to get to another place.

I had looked around, and googled stuff but couldn't find anything answering it, thus I had to ask. Cause, I understood the ship and tutorial thing, but I thought when I got off and in to the normal area it would open up immediately. I guess WoW spoiled me with that notion XD. That being said, because it didn't, it scared me, so I am just happily reassured to know that after I am done with the forest quests it will open in to a bigger world.
  15. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

Just a FYI, the trolling over the game being similar to WoW would pop up all the time in advice and people would continually take the bait. Or we would see a bunch of white knights and misogynists argue like a bunch of school children when someone would admit they are a girl. Or there would be some jackass spamming. We even had a few players that had hateboners for certain testers and would harass them through that channel

So yeah that channel was already Barrens 2.0, the devs barely appeared in it but that was usually for the best.
  16. Benevon

I enjoyed watching a long argument started by a troll stating that Alienware was the best PC money could buy and anybody who built their own are just poor lol. That was a good one.
  17. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

Yeah, the sad part is that was before Open Beta. Usually you would see most of the trolls during open beta
  18. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

I remember that hilarious.