1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Aurin's Default Pronouns

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Xlugon Pyro, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I had an interesting thought concerning the aurin. From what we know, they have a matriarchal society as opposed to our mostly patriarchal societies for us real people. In many cases when we're not talking about specific people or persons or when we're talking about a hypothetical person or people, we tend to use the masculine pronoun if we don't include both. This has become more balanced as of late but my pondering revolves around the possibility of aurin following a similar speech pattern with pronouns, only reversed as they are a matriarchy.

I think it would be pretty interesting to see aurin have a notable cultural distinction in their speech patterns and this could be one of them since women are the dominant sex in their society. What do you all think of this?
    Lokken and Extatica like this.
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

i'm not sure i understand ... i'd assume they'd be like the French - everything is either masculine or feminine :) chat is a male cat while chate is a female cat
  3. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

breath deep, seek peace brother Xulgon:D

i think this will be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Iamaom

Iamaom New Cupcake

Pronouns are not necessarily determined by society. Languages such as Mandarin and Finnish have no gendered pronouns. A man, a woman, or a lamp are all "ta/hän". Even in English the "he" as a default gender-neutral pronoun is disappearing in favor of singular "they".
  5. Xlugon Pyro

I could've probably clarified what I meant by focusing on English. Regardless, it would be interesting to see aurin prefer to use feminine pronouns except when referring to specific individuals.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

[​IMG] <-- Xlugon, even when he isn't under the command of the Dominion...he's still a slave :p
    Chronas and FruitPunchHero like this.
  7. FruitPunchHero

FruitPunchHero Cupcake

I don't think it will go that in depth. They will probably use the same speech patterns as humans.
    Kataryna likes this.
  8. Xlugon Pyro

I'm certain it wouldn't but it was an interesting idea I had nonetheless.

Well it's a good thing I'm playing female characters then!
  9. FruitPunchHero

FruitPunchHero Cupcake

It would be really cool if they had the time and manpower to make different speech patterns and word usage for each race. I am glad you brought it up. Who knows maybe they will see this and inspire them to do something cool with it.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  10. Kiyo

Kiyo Cupcake

It's an interesting idea. And to go further on the same vein, if the Aurin have had a matriarchal society for quite a long time (or always, as I seem to recall it being said they've been led by an unbroken line of queens), they'd actually be quite different socially from us with our real world patriarchal roots and gender tensions/inequalities that still exist. The matriarchal (and more feral) society would have an effect on the behaviour and interactions of the Aurin, but I'm not sure how many people are willing to think about such deep-probing psychosocial questions.
  11. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

Considering they are nothing more than some human/animal hybrids, they will probably not differ from humans in their speech.
  12. PsychoticHamster

PsychoticHamster New Cupcake

So instead of the default "he" that is most common in real life, they would use "she". Pretty cool idea actually, might grab the player's attention and make the Aurin feel more like another race rather than re-skinned humans. I really hope that all races, besides humans obviously, have weird societies that just don't make sense. Biggest problem with games in general is that all races are distinctly human, rather than being actually alien.
    ruff_ethereal and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  13. Hezrou

Hezrou Cupcake-About-Town

This is exactly what I thought xD even if i'ma be a male aurin! haha
  14. Cartographer

Cartographer Cupcake-About-Town

Erm, it's pretty much only a smattering of indo-european languages that have gender specific pronouns.
    Chinese, Japanese etc. don't and I'd argue that there are more Chinese speakers in the world than English, making it more common to not use "he, she, it" or the like than to do so. (I'm not that familiar with Hindustani grammar, but I'd be surprised to learn that it had gender specific pronouns, so you could probably add another billion+ to the number of "non" users)

It's really hard to make-up an "alien" language, let alone an alien society. We are somewhat constrained as a species in what we're capable of comprehending and intuiting, we all evolved and developed our societies on the same planet afterall, facing broadly similar challenges and climates, with the same set of senses and similar brains to comprehend the data we gathered; and it's impossible for us to entirely remove bias from our thinking, we always end up with re-skinned versions of what we know or what already exists.
  15. Lokken

Lokken New Cupcake

I think its great that they made the male Aurin smaller than the female, really nice touch on their part. If they carry it further into their speech also, well, that would be even better and I hope they do it. My main will definitely be a male Aurin. Still stuck between Esper and Spellslinger as the class though.