1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Aurins

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by SiegaPlays, Aug 10, 2012.

?

How do the presence of aurins ("bunny girls") effect how you look at WildStar?

1. I am male, and I want to play Aurin (bunny).

19.6%
  2. I am male, and I want to play Aurin (other animal presence).

30.4%
  3. I am male, and the presence of bunny people partially turns me off the game.

2.8%
  4. I am female, and I want to play Aurin (bunny).

8.5%
  5. I am female, and I want to play Aurin (other animal presence).

13.9%
  6. I am female, and the presence of bunny people partially turns me off the game.

2.0%
  7. Race options that I would not pick myself is ok, as long as there is other options.

23.0%
  8. Some races I will simply not accept, if the game has then, I am out.

0.6%
  9. I am undecided.

4.3%
  10. I plan on playing every single race in WildStar eventually

24.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I have noticed a tendency for some to discard WildStar totally based on seeing a "bunny girl" - reading Massively comments.

How much is the "bunny girls" presence effect your view of WildStar, are you here because of Aurins, despite of Aurins, does it matter to you at all (since there is obviously other races, so why be a dork about one in particular)?

Since rat people and cat people (and even frog people) are popular in games like EQ and EQ2, I am wondering if the particular dislike to bunny people is related to hares/rabbits being prey animal.

Maybe some females or most females can relate and identify better with the race due to that aspect, while some men find it harder if not totally unacceptable to have a prey animal as a possible inspiration for a character?

Maybe I am putting too much into it, but I can not help but wonder if there is a direct transference from the type of animal inspiration to the dislike some has to "bunny girls" :p

Adding to that, there was an uproar about Pandarians, when the race was first announced, and some people still gripe about it (instead of just moving on). Panda npc race has been part of EQ2 for years, hardly a novelty, and some of the pics from WoW makes them look like lean mean fighting machines.
    But pandas are endangered animals, so maybe, just maybe, the gut reflex dislike there is related to the same element of "enherited image" as I am starting to think "bunny girls" has with some people?

I don't know, I can only drop assumptions.
    Ingsoc likes this.
  2. SiegaPlays

bugger it, thought the public part was about showing the results, not the individual votes, I can not fix it now :-(
  3. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

The problem is that only the bunny options have been highly visible at this point - the variety of animal ears/tails that are available to Aurins haven't really been showcased heavily yet.

Once it's accepted that Aurin is the "animalisitic" race, then I reckon the bunny girl perception will die down...
  4. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I assume you think of playboy bunny girls? ;) I never thought about that before this topic. I would love to play an Aurin. But I prefer non-human races anyway. For me it is the lore behind a character in combination with a class that makes me want to play something.
  5. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I think the bunny option of an Aurin is fun. I am not sure what the other options will be but I will eventually play them all as well as whatever other races they have.
  6. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I vote for - I am a female and I don't particular like or dislike the Aurin.
    Sorry but the votes were either love or hate them and at this point all I know is that I think I will play human.

Just to clarify, I am not one of those people who always goes with humans.
  7. SiegaPlays

It is a multiple choice vote, and set up so you can love, hate, be undecided or don't really care at all.
  8. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

I like them. Atm it' s my fav race from the Exiles. But i would never play the female version. When Aurin then male.
  9. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Ow, I don't mind playing female characters. I think I even prefer it. Some races I prefer females, other males. Same goes for class. It's a combination I guess.
  10. ObliviousPrime

The 7th option is possibly the closest to hope I feel about them they are ok I don't mind there existence in the game it makes the world more colorful with different races.
  11. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

I have absolutely no problem with the aurin, but I probably won't play one. As long as there are options, I don't really see what the issue is - it feels very much like the "is that an NCsoft logo? haha no thanks" attitude, which is flat out silly.
    Malorak likes this.
  12. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

I'm an altoholic, and in my head-cannon-characters, I definitely have an aurin character or two brewing. I tend to prefer non-human races anyways, but I'll be likely to play almost all the races eventually.

As far as I can tell, it seems like the bunny-girl stigma is related to a couple things: the association with Playboy bunny girls, association with cat-girls from anime, and the objectification of female characters/delegating them to sex object/background decoration. That's a common worry with MMOs... you have various build options for male characters, but all the female characters are bouncy boob machines. Another thing that people may be concluding is that because of the art style and the fact that the game has a bunny-eared race, it's overly cartoony and won't provide a serious, mature experience. They write it off as immature fluff. That, or there's also the stigma of Furries. Personally, I like anthropomorphic characters like the khajiit from Elder Scrolls or the various animal folks of Everquest and Worgen and Pandaren of WoW, but I know there are those that despise that kind of thing. I dunno, just brain-spewing all the possibilities that come to mind. :)
    Malorak, Akhrin, Tiktak and 1 other person like this.
  13. SiegaPlays

I have heard the Pandarian female build options is slim to non existing compared to the male version, at least I have seen a couple of people post about it on the beta forums. The one artworks I have seen was a curvy huge eyed snuggly bear, adorable, while a couple of the males I have seen was battle weary and old. What if adorable is not what I want. My Pandarian monk should have the option to look like she has a combat history and some of her fur should be grey from battle wounds healing up and being covered with white/grey hairs and something as simple as her ears should have a choice of multiple levels of having taken damange at some point in time.

I have noticed our female Aurin from the videos do have a something of very deep cleavage. I would find that somewhat idiotic in a fantasy sword combat setting, and on a scientist, meh. In a scifi, well, if noone else wears kewlar, why should the female bunnies.

But I do wish Carbine would correct the design a little, remove about half that cleavage, noone walks around with a cleavage halfway down to their pubic hair, unless they are selling something that is not a feature in WildStar (uhm, well, now I am presumptious again, but I assume it is not - otherwise those housings better come with a total no peakaboo lockdown to the insides, and the game with a mature rating :p).

Not only does it highten the playboy bunny similarities to flaunt the bouncy assets that much, but a cleavage that deep makes no sense at all out in the wilds making scientific studies and fighting off baddies.

Displayed boobs and high stiletto heels are typical for the bad female combat armor design a lot of games has, and not even special consideration for aurin physiology makes up for it going that far down. On social gear it is another matter, then it is up to the player to decide, what to wear, but usually on combat armor, we - the player - do not have much of a choice but take the best gear for the fight, so then sexy looks should not come before protective looks.

I am not a prude, my Second Life avatar has everything from hottie to dignified to elegant to professionel, and I use them all depending on the task at hand, however with combat gear, if it is not protective, then it is eye candy and not made with me, the female gamer, in mind.

Joukehainen likes this.
  14. ObliviousPrime

well bad female armour = Tera to me.

one of the reasons I can't stand that game.
    Malorak and Joukehainen like this.
  15. SiegaPlays

TERA is a very good example. If it was sold as poster artwork for those wanting sexed up dominatrixes hanging on their wall it would be fine imho - however I doubt my hubby would find it funny if I hung up some normal poster size castenic hunks to oggle over breakfast.

As combat armor it is useless and it removes the players option to choose not to flaunt their ingame ego as an oversexed boobs and buns babe - which is what alienate a lot of women, and has a lot of feminist in a uproar, because men has other options to customize their alter ego in a positive role model way. Being a oversexed barbie is in most cases not a positive role model, it is a male gaze support role.

I imagine some arguments pro the female armor in a game as TERA is that some of the men are sexed up too, but that is a cop out. That is giving men equal rights to be portrait sexual (and still strong and competent, despite the armor having the same protective issues as female ones), I am sure they are deleriously happy at the oppotunity. It is not giving women equal rights to not be portrait primarily sexual.

The topic for feminists is that it is hard to choose not to be a sex doll if every option about a female toon is to make her sexy hot, rather than suitable for her class. It is ok to be a sex object, if one wants to, but it is not ok to be forced to be a sex object, if one does not.

The alternative choice is to not play the game, but given the number of games out there with this particular problem, awareness about it being a problem is needed.
    Phyllo and Joukehainen like this.
  16. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I played a female dwarf for years. Just to be different and it let me feel unique in a way.

I played with a lot of women in WoW (which is awesome), but most of them responded to the looks of female dwarfs: "But they are so ugly!" On horde side you have something like Tauren females? For the nonwow-ers, it's a female cow. I think they are even more rare then female dwarfs. Almost no one plays those combinations.
    (Female Dwarfs 13%, Female Tauren 16% > http://armorydatamining.appspot.com/general?t=PopBigPicture)

And in Tera you could create the most ugly characters out there. Ever tried the randomizer? True it only applied to faces, but still, the most weird/ugly/horrible looking females you could create with that.

Everyone wants to look pretty. Especially women. We have a billion dollar industry just for that alone. Sure there are exceptions, but they are what they are, exceptions. This is the main reason developers go the pretty, sex bomb route with female characters I think. They are just more popular. Besides this, I think you should be able to create an ugly character, if not just for roleplaying purposes.

Edit: Added link to statistics page and percentages.
    Malorak likes this.
  17. SiegaPlays

Yes, women wants to be pretty. It is an imparative we are raised with. The toys marketed for girls are pretty, what we did with it was about being pretty, we were encouraged to cherish pretty, because a pretty woman can catch a provider, when she grows up. Unless she breaks somewhere along the way.

Myself included. I prefer to make a pretty character, meaning one where the parts makes up a decent whole. When I make my aurin, if a torn ear is possible, I am going to match it into a whole that looks awesome. I often use scars if they are available, but not ones that turn my character ugly, just gives her some personality and a history.

Pretty however is not the same a sexy, as being a sex doll, which is the mainly the male gaze phantasy, made mostly by men for men, which is why women do not feel welcome in that club :p

Some women do aim for not just pretty but sexy, but do they do it for themselves or to get the attention and appreciation of men? And if the latter, is that because they are brought up with the perception, that the attention and appreciation of men is the highest for of accomplishment they can do, because maybe they can catch a provider? or because somewhere their subconcious learned they have no value outside being sex toys. I am not going to deny that some do it for themselves, because there is a lot of levels of sexy, but there is so many layers of cultural psychlogy to look at on that topic.

Women who do not automatically make a pretty character, are either rebels with a cause or brought up by parents, who managed the unisex upbringing model.
  18. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

You don't have to be a "sex bomb" to be pretty. You can cover your body neck to toe and still have a beautiful face and be sexy. Not sure how the two relate when it comes to attractiveness. For me, being sexy is more an attitude than a look, though both come into play. Now, if all you want to do is lure a man in with the promise of sex, then yes, you can show a lot of skin.

I have never played a female character in all my years and have no desire to play one. However, I think I can understand how a lot of them feel when a most of the options are ridiculous for what they have to do in the game.
    Phyllo likes this.
  19. SiegaPlays

I must admit, I was tempted to get TERA and go male castanic, just to get the oppotunity to see what it is about playing with a piece of eye candy, that makes a segment of male gamers adamantly against any idea of changing status quo on how female armor alienate female gamers.

Maybe perpetual horniness ups their game.
  20. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

Awww yeah, I would so love some torn ears and scar options. My female aurin warrior needs them! :D

And I think everyone has pretty much hit the issue on the head - female characters need to be able to *choose* if they want to be sexy, not forced to be, and having various build options or sliders would help a lot!
    Phyllo, Tiktak and SiegaPlays like this.