1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Authenticators - ay or nay

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by SiegaPlays, Sep 8, 2012.

?

How are you about your end of the game account security? Multiple choice poll!

1. Never thought much about it

4.8%
  2. I use different emails for a games fansites and my game account

28.8%
  3. I use different passwords for a games fansites and my game account

48.1%
  4. I use authenticator only if there is a mobile app for it

31.7%
  5. I use any authenticator available

52.9%
  6. I give out my game account info to friends or family

3.8%
  7. If click links in my emails and type in my account information without checking if email is legit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I use firewall in front of my home network.

41.3%
  9. I use anti virus applications with extras like anti-spyware, link scanning, email-scanner

46.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

With the current ramble on GW2 accounts being hacked likely by people who broke the security on a fan site and members of said fansite using email and passwords similar to what they use on GW2, this is a nice topic to poll :p As usual, a multiple choice one to cover different scenarios about security.

Personally I use authenticator if there is a mobile app version for it, I did get the key authenticator for WoW, but only because it was dirt cheap. I give games that has this feature more benefit of the doubt and time to fix issues, not sure if it is related, maybe it is because those games in general pass the bar of quality in their customer care. I'd rather have a good authenticator than a promise of a 24/7 CS.
    Makes me wonder why GW2 fail on this, when the game sounds like a lot are thrilled - at least the first couple of months until they grow tedious about the game :p

I also use different emails, and I never use the same password for a game account anywhere else. I do not follow in an email without checking the game site first about what email to expect from them.

Hmm, fake WildStar beta emails as fishing attempts... would you be so excited about getting it, you'd forget about checking it?
    The sooner WildStar gets user accounts to log into, the safer I will feel about future inbox emails, because I should be able to log on at check beta status without following a email link. All I am saying.
    ruff_ethereal and Maddog Charlie like this.
  2. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

What's email? lol

I... am of the sort, (I probably miss loads of stuff) but if I get a email from a game I automatically assume it's not legit. If I want to find something out about the current MMO I'm playing, I go to the games website and forums. (Or places like here.)
  3. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I use an authenticator ever since my WoW account was hacked way back when even though I use strong-type passwords and this was before authenticators. My online email was never used for the game account until SWTOR came along. I didn't like them tying those together. Anyway, I have a firewall, use anti-virus for everything, and do not click on email links from anything I did not subscribe to, even then I like going to the site manually if I get a email.
  4. Billco

Billco Cupcake-About-Town

I use a different password for every single site I go to. Aswell as virus/firewall protection.

That said, with all the big names getting hacked so easily I wonder if its worth it. If your WoW account gets hacked its ALWAYS , zomg you gave your details out or you were phished etc but I do know people more paranoid than me that have had their accounts taken over.

Heck I quit wow for over a year (with a friend), then I went back and messed around when Cata launched. Randomly one day I see my friend logon, and ignored me. So I rang him, he didn't know anything about it.

I mean what's up with that? not only was his account stolen but they bought game-time too, and Blizzard couldn't seem to give any explanation as to what happened.

With the likes of Sony getting hacked, not to mention a couple banks over here which i'm fairly sure lead to a rather nasty case of identity theft that I had to deal with, i'm all for authenticators as an added layer of security. I do prefer the ones that work on iphone though, just for convenience :)
  5. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

I'm quite fond of the authenticator myself. I like the added security and it makes me feel a bit safer when I log off my account. If the authenticator is a key fob, I usually just tape the keying to the desk so I don't lose it. With the mobile apps, I like them, but I don't carry my phone with me everywhere, and I can't tape my phone to the desk. Lol.
  6. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Mobile authenticator is a great tool IMO, when the whole Sony compromized accounts happened I considered it worthwhile. Alternative email is a good idea too, use one for your game account and another for forum posting, hey they are free anyway.
    Passwords are the biggest giveaway sometimes, (forgive me if you already know this as most of you are likely tech savvy), its cool to use your cats name etc but a bit of a giveaway when you are posting about what you and fluffy did that weekend on facebook.
    Password security is best with (at least) a memorable phrase acronym eg: 'Let me in to Wildstar alpha' and a set of numbers (in this case the amount in dollars Im offering as a bribe :)) so that becomes 'LmitWa250' for example. Capital letter at the beginning and for names and you can even use a special character in some cases but not all allow that.
    ........ now Im going to have to change mine of course, and fluffy will have to go too :cry:
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  7. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

This is a good solution for games. I use this myself. But don't forget characters like *^#@$!~()+ etc to strengthen them even more. In your example you could have used 'LmitW*250'.

For websites I make use of a password manager (Lastpass) that can generate really strong passwords for me in a random fashion and saves and fills in those automatically as well. Nothing beats that.

I don't use different email addresses yet, but maybe I should start with that as well, it's a good idea. Easy to forward to your regular account anyway.

I use (mobile) authenticators whenever I can. I use them for WoW, Lastpass, Google and of course my bank. Another fancy word for this is 2-step authentication.

I think W* should at least give us the possibility to use one. Maybe it is even mandatory in this day of age. At least they can hook in Google's service, like Lastpass already does.
  8. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

I use a password management program to randomly generate and store all of my passwords. Combine that with a 25+ digit master password to even access the password software and I get a lot more security out of my passwords. My biggest beef with most companies in general is that their password restrictions are poor. 6-8 characters alpha numeric only. Really?

The problem is hitting the middle ground between making password requirements really secure and making them too restrictive and thus users tend to write them down. Most IT professionals who manage user accounts will tell you that is the number one problem.

I am also a big fan of authenticators. I use them in every game that provides them. Personally, any MMO that launches today without an authenticator system in place is just foolish. In my opinion, that is one HUGE oversight by ArenaNet. At least they have or will be implementing some type of email authentication system for logins from new locations. Still not a perfect solution, but better than nothing.
    Black Wolf likes this.
  9. SiegaPlays

One of the side benefits that some would not consider so, is that with an authenticator there is no reason to give away login to friends and family, because they need the authenticator too to use it. No more stories of backstabbing by friends getting malicious and commiting virtual murder on characters "for fun" or "practical humor" - if I could get 1$ for everytime I heard that one :cry::rolleyes:
  10. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I will be blunt, so I apologize in advance to anyone who is offended. If you share your account information with anyone, you are a big fool. There is one exception and that is sharing your account info with your wife/girlfriend or husband/boyfriend. I guess you can trust them. If not, maybe you should find yourself a new one. :rolleyes: But I rather give them their own account and tell them to start farming. :p

I cannot feel sorry for those who are ****ed over by family or friends. It's their own stupid fault. Sharing your passwords is the number one security mistake you can make.
  11. Billco

Billco Cupcake-About-Town

I both disagree, and agree with you at the same time Wolf.

I often give my account details out to a select few people, all of which live in the States actually so its not like I could go round their house and cry about it or anything :)

I've been playing games with these guys for years, we often share account details.

For instance in WoW I would tri-box our 3 accounts through dailys (due to the time difference it was nice and quiet) and then when they would get home from work, prime-time, we could just jump straight into heroics or raid.

I remember the guy that introduced me to EQ, we met playing Starsiege (incase ANYONE remembers that game).

We'd been playing together for a while and we was raiding Hate if I recall. It was a mess, real wipe-fest. My corpse was stuck somewhere and I had to leave for work. He offered to log me in and try to get it back during the CR for me, so I gave him my details.

Next day, corpse was regained, and it had taken him about 2 hours to do it.

I guess what i'm saying is, that I don't want to live in a world where we can't trust ANYONE ya know? I understand that many many many people have been burnt in this situation and I could quite easily have logged in the next day to find I have nothing left but still....gotta give a little trust sometimes right? :)
  12. SiegaPlays

Do you have a saying the something along the lines of : "Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worse"?
    That is how I am about trust. I am willing to trust people with details, that if they let me down, it is not a big issue. Account details is not among that.

I can count on one hand the people I would even consider trusting with account details, knowing that they would not be immature jerks and go kill off my characters or sell my stuff, because they know that to me it would be virtual murder and even in a fit of rage, there is only so far they would go with collateral damage.

3 of those I have played with for 6 years through 4 games, none of them young men anymore (which is the common deniminator on all stories about people maliciously harming trusted access that I have heard), one of them is my mother, because at this time, she recognize that it would be virtual murder to do something about my account "for my own good" or some other misguided concept of care, and the fifth ... there is no fifth, well, maybe my hubby, even though he does not understand the connection a gamer can have with the character himself, he does percieve that it means something to me.
    Maybe he understands more than I think. He tried to call our dog after my main character on EQ. I had to put my foot down and suggest an alternative. Imagine me turning my head to answer everytime he called the dog!
  13. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

Authenticators are good juju. Not a lot more to say about them really. If one is available in WS I will use it. :)
    Zap-Robo likes this.
  14. Jason Sweeney

Jason Sweeney New Cupcake

Strong password - 3-4 minutes
    Memorizing your password - 10-20 minutes
    Authenticator - $6
    Using the authenticator - 10 seconds when you log in

Not being hacked? Priceless.
  15. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

Mobile authenticator! :up:

My memory is very bad. I won't remember a password for every game.
  16. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

Remember back in the day when you had a jillion passwords to write down? After awhile you try to streamline it only to realize you better not to avoid getting hacked? I so enjoy it lol. ;)
  17. Kirathis

Check out a handy little program called Keepass. It can create passwords based on criteria you set. Then you just have to remember one really strong password for your database and use the copy function on the program when you want to log in to another game/website/whatever.

You can also set your file in Dropbox so that it replicates to any computer you have Dropbox configured on as well as your phone.
    ObliviousPrime likes this.
  18. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

Yeah I remember writing passwords on bits paper, then losing the paper lol.

Thanks Kirathis i'll check out the program :)
  19. Kirathis

Let me know if you have questions on how to set it up or configure it to work with your Dropbox account, etc.
  20. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

Authenticators, yes please. Separate or app related, either is fine, but I want one for any game I'm going to be investing hundreds of hours in. :p