1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Average guild age, and what you prefer?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Nemeses, Jun 12, 2013.

?

Your guilds average age Group

1. 12 to 18

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. 18 - 25

16 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. 18 - 35

41 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. 18 to any age (lots of 40+)

25 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. Any age we dont care as long as you fit

24 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Raizar

Raizar New Cupcake

I'm fine with any age above 16+. I like that cut-off point but it still allows for younger people that guilds wouldn't take in to come join our ranks.

We do put anyone under 18 through a short interview and set them as a trial member to make sure they fit and that they can deal with the conversations that arise when lots of adults are around. It's more of a precaution than anything but we have many young people who are fitting in well.
  2. tubthumper

tubthumper New Cupcake

We are all aged between 70-85. We had a couple of 60 year olds but they had jobs as lollipop men so the were a bit too casual for us. We all hang out in the nursing home and piss ourselves during raid time. Pro.
    Freelancer likes this.
  3. Kasern

Kasern Cupcake

Our average is 25. We tend to recruit 21+, it's more about being like-minded than maturity as we can be plenty immature some nights. So long as you're not a screaming 1337 kiddie it's usually cool.

Our thing is, are you allowed to stay up till midnight during the week and are you able to make the commitment to a raid schedule without your parents permission :) And I've run into plenty of gamers in their 20s who can't promise that.
  4. Kebab

Kebab New Cupcake

I think our average age hovers somewhere around the 30-35.
    Maturity-wise though, it hovers around 10-15.
    5-10 when it comes to intelligence.
    13-14 regarding sexual experiences.
    100+ in hindsight capabilities when dueling each other.
    7-8 when it comes to hygiene.

How the internet was meant to be.
  5. Chim

Chim Cupcake-About-Town

Welp, I'm one of the youngest here (15 years old) and I was just two times in 18+ guilds. People were 25-35+ and they were all the time joking about sex. Nothing special but I like to have smart company so I probably won't try "18+" anymore. I don't like guilds with age principle. I like when they search for nice and wise people. =)
  6. Gyoin

Gyoin New Cupcake

We have an 18+ rule, but we have allowed a couple 16-17 year olds in the guild that have shown their maturity. We have members ranging from said 16 year old (who is now almost 18) up to 54? I believe that's how old our oldest member is.

We average something around 28 30 lately, which is great because everyone understands "Real Life Happens", but at the same time many of these players have been playing MMO's for a better part of a decade, so you get a heavy amount of commitment. Creates a pretty nice environment :)
  7. Teel

Teel Cupcake

Generally we go with 18+ but we did take in a player who was 15 at the time, he proved himself both socially and gameplay-wise that he belongs in the guild. So there are definitely good people below that 18-limit. I don't think age is a huge factor in games though and we don't look down on young people in any way. There will always be bad apples of all ages :)

..I hope he doesn't read this so he gets cocky.
  8. Dazzle

Dazzle New Cupcake

Never bothered imposing an age limit in the past. It deters what would be great friends from ever bothering to apply. If someone proved to be a nuisance they would be kicked, regardless of age.

On the other hand, if younger folks do apply to an age limit group, they tend to be more mature anyways and know how to behave.
  9. Symphus

Symphus New Cupcake

We only accept people who are 18 and over. All our members are mid 20's to late 30's. I know age doesn't always equal maturity but that's why we have two week or month long recruit policies for pending approval.
  10. Deltre

Deltre Cupcake-About-Town

I was 16 when I first started raiding and I was with a mid 20s guild that was extremely immature. Full of whiners, complainers, abd greedy people. The next guild I went to was the same age group but much more team oriented and a lot more fun. I had a great time and couldn't complain seeing as how I got a good few server firsts.
  11. Doxxo

Doxxo New Cupcake

When i used to play WoW, i was the youngest in the guild and i'm 21 :) but i also played with people who are under 18 and i have to say, the're mature.. So depends on the people you play with and not the age they have if you ask me.
  12. Mimsy

Mimsy New Cupcake

This is a really good start. However, while I recognize that all ages can be 'mature', your average teenager (while most certainly a better player than I) simply talks about different things than I do, which isn't bad, just different. As a gamer in my late 30's, I often find it amusing that mmo's are the only place where youth seems to be a bad thing. ;)
    MaximTheRaven likes this.
  13. MaximTheRaven

MaximTheRaven Cupcake

I agree, all ages can potentially be mature, however, there -are- some creeps out there that go after people below the age of consent for their perverse gains. That being said, I feel that if the officers can minimize that kind of nonsense, then the age shouldn't matter, unless of course the guild is oriented toward adult themes.

Of course, I'm just a bird, don't mind me.
    *flaps wings*
  14. Deltre

Deltre Cupcake-About-Town

I think it all boils down to people are people, and you just gotta give some of them a chance.
  15. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Everyone under 40 should be banned from MMOs forevaaar!!!

Age doesn't affect me much in terms of those I like or dislike, although I've met some annoying kids who just weren't competent or something, but I've yet entitled, drama-llamas that were in their mid-late 20s or older. Mixed bags of people all around.

I usually don't get along with others because of personal issues that they are unaware of and/or fail to address that lead to deep character flaws. That or our interests don't align at all outside of the game we're playing. I see so many sex and alcohol obsessed people and folks whose only interests are the most vapid of subjects. I'm basically an alien in most guilds I'm in, but if the guildies aren't assmonkies and can play well without having character issues, I usually stick around.
  16. Devorak

Devorak New Cupcake

I raided wow in an 18+ guild when I was 13. My voice was deep enough and I was a good enough tank that my guild leader and I decided we'd pretend I was 18 because some officers were really anal about the age rule. If I were a higher-up in a raiding guild I would say let someone prove them self as a player and guild-mate and forget about their age.

The only real reason I can think of to bring up age is that some younger players do have conflicts with their parents which can make them unreliable. I for one was smart enough to do all my chores before raids and in return my parents left me alone for 3 hours.
  17. Nymaen

Nymaen New Cupcake

We are strictly 18+ because of the whole parental unit thing. Post 18 you'd hope people are free of parental supervision and are allowed to make their own decisions. Plus there's always the point of alcohol, dirty language and adult content conversations. Some of my guild members have teenage children, so I think people find it easier to relax when everyone is 18+. Our average age is about 25-35 though.

On top of that though, we use our application process to test maturity. Can this person take a joke? Do they have normal adult responsibilities? Are they respectful? That kind of thing. It might seem a bit fluffy to people, but in reality, I'd rather tell someone no at the door than having to bounce them later.
  18. CptCraig7

CptCraig7 New Cupcake

My current World of Warcraft guild that I am just kind of occupying is 18+, although these are people I have raided with and known since I was 16-17 and I am 22 now.

Age recruitment is a slippery slope because 18+ doesn't necessarily eliminate the problem of immaturity, that sort of thing can be seen in all ages. I can see it valid that it at the very least reduces the chance of recruiting less-than-serious applicants, I guess it just comes down to really talking to that individual during a vent/skype interview, getting to understand where they see their future in a game and assess their maturity level through composure.