1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Awesome and Wacky Circles

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Pixie, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

Yay Circles!

When reading that uplink analysis, me and my boyfriend had very different ideas about what a circle would be.

"Oh, so kind of like alliances?" he said.

"No? More like constantly connected groups so you can keep in touch with friends, right?" I said.

Then we both realised that we could both be right.

I honestly believe circles will be awesome, and extremely versatile, and that they can be used in as many ways as there are people willing to make a circle!

So, apart from the obvious PVP warplot circles, the RP community circles, the close knitted friends mini circle, and the alliance circle, what are the most original, awesome or wacky circle YOU will be creating or joining?

If we start sharing these ideas already, then maybe there will be well organised circles ready already before release, and for testing in the beta phases, and we could show Carbine a little bit about what kind of different ideas they may want to include support for, so there's really nothing to lose on sharing ideas already now! :inlove:

P.S. it's been a wacky easter so I'm a little late to the "party", I looked for similar posts but didn't find a general one, so pardon me if this thread already exist in (an extremely similar) iteration.
    Xandita and Fate Flyer like this.
  2. Corinthar

Corinthar Cupcake

Extreme Explorers Circle!

For those who just HAVE to see what's over the next hill, even if you die every 50 meters to +30 level mobs to do so!
    Xandita likes this.
  3. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

Oh I'm in! This will be one of the first things I'll look for.

And here's hoping that the chat system will support links (Or rather, marking, copying and pasting)
  4. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

I'm guessing there will be some form of world PvP 'response team' type circle unless there's the equivalent of defense chat channel for PvP servers. If Carbine don't have support for stuff like that in by launch then you can bet players will do it themselves via circles :)

Possibly crafters circle for like minded discussion/trading mats (if needed) etc.

Decorators circle for the housing designers.

Probably loads to be fair - anything not covered by the usual guild/chat channels (or maybe even stuff covered by in game chat channels by people who prefer to 'filter' out some of the population).

How about a crazy Wildstar server where the vegetation is actually sentient and needs to chat- there could be....CROP CIRCLES! (ok so maybe that pun wasn't worth the effort of the build up :p).
  5. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I think you are misunderstanding something about Circles. You create a circle and add people to it. You don't make a circle with others. Your circles are your own and you decide who will be in them. Like we can both have a circle named 'Crafters', but entirely other people will be in them. Same thing that we will both have different friend lists.

Edit: Maybe I misunderstand how it works after reading the blog again ... thought it would be working the same way as in Google+, maybe it's not.
  6. Malisent

Malisent Cupcake-About-Town

I thought that too (think G+ just has me conditioned to associate circles with their method :p), but I think it's sort of like the next level of the chat groups you create in other games.

"/join MyChatForCrafters, now with teeth"
  7. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

8. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

I also think you can create up to 5 circles of your own and invite other people in etc, but I believe there will be circles that are extremely popular as well as smaller friends-only circles.

Honestly won't be surprised if there are circles that have their own websites and out of game community stuff going on too.
  9. Maldwyn

Maldwyn Cupcake

I wonder if there won't be some Carbine-defined circles that are available to all. For instance, instead of local chat, have each zone's chat be a circle that you could choose to join. You might even then be able to join the circles of zones you're not in at the moment, so that if there's a popular zone (or one you expect to be in shortly for instance) you could join that circle ahead of time.

Other possible pre-defined circles could be crafting, each path, a "help" circle that experienced players could choose to join to help new players if they wished, a CRM circle to get help from Carbine, etc.
  10. Lunacat

Lunacat Cupcake

I seem to be having a problem understanding exactly what circles are :oops: They seem to me to be just multiple friends lists that you can make. I'm not much for social stuff like twitter, facebook and such so I'm well out of the loop :p Any help on this would be much appreciated.
  11. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

I think you're right, and it's a touch disappointing. I was hoping they'd be more like Livejournal communities, or Facebook pages or whathaveyou.
  12. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

I think they will be social "skeleton" interfaces, with a roster, chat channel, invite options and hopefully some basic tools like message of the day, description field and possibly some kind of rank system, or what have you.

I kind of hope there will be an option to set your Circle to "public", and a search system in which you can search for and join/apply to join circles that seem to fit with your interests. I believe a system like that would be even more useful than searching for and petitioning to join guilds, though I don't find that to be a bad idea in games either...

If we're lucky, the circle interface may of course be more complicated than that, and it would be really, really awesome if we could have an interface with space for mini "news" articles, links, and information that fits the theme of your circle. I'm thinking since Scooter writes:
    That they may have thought about the possibility of special interest circles, that may have the need for more interface options.

Then again, you could make an out-of-game website for circles, to build upon options like in-game chat yourself.

It has struck my mind that ideas like circles are a huge part of the reason Carbine is so open to input. It is the very definition of a system that "becomes what the players make of it", and for that reason, they're probably very much open to input about what circles should be, should be able to be, and should support.
    Lunacat likes this.
  13. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

This sounds more like the Google+ Communities system. Which I obvious like too.
  14. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

If there are features from google plus circles or any other social media you want to see in wildstar, listthem and postaway! i think it is very healthy for the devs to see whatwe want and expect in a feature that is so new and that haven't been done before!

Come release circles may take on the roles of alliances, certain chat channels, book clubs and so on and so forth...

Podcasts and fan radio stations can use them to inform fans and devs can use them for events, but of course there may also be abuse, like teens creating hate circles etc, so I find this aspect of Wildstar extremely interesting.
  15. Ephemera Crawford

Ephemera Crawford Cupcake

I'm all for having things like explorers or crafting circles. (A massive percentage of my gaming deaths have been due to the phrase: "What's that over there?" ) They'd be meta-communities that transcend guilds and faction ties because some parts of gaming are not about fighting - they're about exploring/creating in a world.

This is of course assuming that circles are public groups, and not a personal friends list. 'Cus that would be limiting. Explorers want to know about the *whole* world, not just their faction's part of it. And crafters just wanna craft All The Things.
  16. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

Even if the circles are not as feature filled as we would like at launch that does not mean they won't get iterated on after launch so they could become everything you guys want them to be down the line.
  17. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Settler call to arms circle. I can se it now, a call goes out to settlers to converge on campsite x and by the time we are done , it's megatown x !

Definitely joining making one of those on my server.