1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Behind The Guild Name

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Kurik, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

So is there a story or interesting meaning behind the name of your guild? Ours doesn't have an amazing origin story but here's the gist of it. :)

When we first started a makeshift forum for a potential Dominion guild, we took suggestions from the few members we had at the time which eventually became Errant Unit.

I had always wanted to use some form of Errant because of my favorite WoW guild, the Silver Hand Errants. We were a fun group of players best described as the Knights of the Round Table from Monty Python, always participating in shenanigans between Raids. We loved the meaning behind Errant combined with Unit which together drives the RP within the guild, well rather future RP. :p

Zee, Joukehainen and Aheadache like this.
  2. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Good topic, cant wait to see replies on this.

I always liked my first guild ever, was a group from DAoC and the guild was Armchair Generals.

In WoW I was in Of the Monkey, Plaid Jello and Heroic Age on Horde. And Order of the Eagles on Alliance.
    Kurik likes this.
  3. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

I'm going to let Beetle answer this one.
    Take epic name. Put gaming at the end :p
    I wonder what he'll say when he sees this tomorrow ;)

Why Subterfuge Vanguard for Wildstar?
    Grab Subterfuge and then find the word that encompasses our objectives in Wildstar...

Vanguard (the forward element of an advancing military formation)
    We are the tip of the spear hurtling towards Nexus. Dominion style baby ;)
    Oroshi likes this.
  4. Sierus

Sierus Cupcake

Contraband was really thought of during a skype chat with the guild leader, Fluxing. As an Exile guild we were looking for something that was simple, but didn't necessarily have a name directly linked to Nexus (Nexus Knights, Nexus Ice Cream Men, Nexian People's Front etc etc...) and we thought about the Exile's purpose on Nexus, and then it came to us! The definition of Contraband is goods imported or exported illegally either in defiance of a total ban or without payment of appropriate duty. In a nutshell, the entire Exile faction is this to the Dominion. The Dominion don't want us here :D
  5. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Immortalis Noctis means Immortal by Night, the original founders and I came up with it one night on skype as we decided we wanted to run our own in guild in Aion. A game where we would play as the Asmodians who basically adapted to live in the dark and cold after being left the s**t end of the stick in the events pre Aion.

The name has just stuck with us through to Rift and I've grown quite fond of it!

I'm normally not a fan of Latin names as a lot of them don't make sense, but I suppose it's always going to be an exemption for your own guild :p - also we put the thought in to make sure it made sense I suppose!
  6. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

Afterlife formed from the remaining members of another guild that collapsed due to some drama. The pvp players formed a new guild. After the death of our previous guild afterlife seemed quite fitting :)
  7. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

Oh and we formed in aion in 2009 ely telemachus frw ;-)
    Ico likes this.
  8. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Gorgos over here dude :), un-official RP server my arse.
    Screenager likes this.
  9. Sierus

Sierus Cupcake

Nice stories behind each and every one!

Nice to know your previous guild didn't fold Screen.
  10. Alexai

Alexai Cupcake

Ours is sort of amusing. We had been playing several matches of Dota 2, winning and losing a few. We went on a two game losing streak where we were up significantly at the 30 minute mark (fed carry, farmed supports, etc.). We then started to screw up all of our team fights, and proceeded to lose both games. At the end of the second game the question was asked what was going wrong. I said over mumble, "Clearly we're just Throw Games Incorporated." The name amused us, and has stuck with us for about eight months now. We've grown rather attached to it, so we decided to use it in all of our gaming endeavors!
  11. Yorobashi

Yorobashi Cupcake

Well, we're playing as Exile, and exile are showing up on planet Nexus by the spaceship load. I guess it just so happens our guilds arrival would be considered a bit of a special delivery, it also helps that every time I'd pull a wave I wasn't supposed to while tanking for my guild in WoW I'd clarify over vent "I got a special delivery for a certain pally healer"
  12. Nymaen

Nymaen New Cupcake

We wanted a name that gave the feeling of cohesion and power through that cohesion. Which sounds really sappy. Anyhow, after a lot of thought and many suggestions we settled on Resonance. The name probably means a lot more to our guild, and is now more of a symbol for the great community we've grown than any text book meaning could explain.

We chose an ouroboros as our guild symbol and settled on the image in my profile pic that was the winner in a guild contest.

Tears of the Midnight Flamingo [TEAR] was a close second and is now a name we use for alt guilds as an in-joke.
  13. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

I really liked this story. Thanks for sharing!
  14. Beetle

Beetle Special Cupcake

I know Blank was hoping for some cool story as to how we started using Subterfuge, there isn't one...

It's a cool word and that's what it really comes down to.

"Strategem in order to conceal, escape, or evade"

Sorry if I disappointed you :cool:
  15. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

I was curious about that as the Vanguard is the forward element in something, or in the most likely case, an army used to set a foothold for the main force. "Subterfuge" doesn't seem to fit as the vanguard's role is to find a place for the main force to set up and attack/prepare it, not a lot of deceiving in that.

But your explanation clears it up, it is a cool sounding word.

I once made a guild in TSW named "Kalabasa Brigade". The first word basically means pumpkin/squash in tagalog(my first language), I chose it because I really liked the pumpkinhead in that game and I made it a rule that it should be worn in any guild meeting/activity, also I wanted to entice more Filipinos in joining so I went tagalog.

Sadly it stayed a one man guild... T_T

If I ever make another one man guild here, I'd probably name it something similar, if I can, or "Hooded *Space-western themed something*. I like hoods a lot but if it's not possible, I'd base it on a headgear that's unique/uncommon enough that I happen to like in the game.