1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Being a Guild Leader vs Follower

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Carebear Commander, Jul 30, 2013.

?

What has been your role in a guild(s)?

1. Leader

55.4%
  2. Officer

65.2%
  3. Member

47.3%
  4. Guilds suck!

4.5%
  5. Other

2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Carebear Commander

Carebear Commander Cupcake-About-Town

I was just curious about why guild leaders chose to lead a guild versus be merely an officer or member. I also added a poll because I'm also curious about the what roles members play on this forum.

***The rest of this post is just me ranting about my guild experience and completely unnecessary for others to read. For those that do, I'm curious if you've had similar experiences.***

As for me, I've never been a guild leader. I've been in a total of two guilds since I started playing MMOs (about a year ago). I've been an officer in both of them. The first one was merely because I was on a different server than the other members, and they didn't think it was fair that I had no access to their benefits. So they promoted me so I could get upgrades on my own. In the second one they promoted me because they thought I would make a good officer and I accepted the offer lol. Unfortunately, I don't like the direction that guild is going but I like most of the people (including those that outrank me) so I plan to stay until Wildstar comes out. But I will most likely return to my old MMO (GW2) every now and then to visit because I really like many of the members. I know a few of them plan to at least try out WS and may create a WS branch, so maybe I can use Circles to hang out with them if we're on the same server/faction.

As for why the guild leaders in these guilds chose to lead, the first one was a small group of friends and I have a feeling that the guild leader title was arbitrary. Everything about that guild was extremely casual. With the second guild leader, I think he was in hardcore guilds in the past and didn't like the atmosphere. In particular, I think he complained about being forced into specific builds and classes.

In Wildstar, I will either join a guild my boyfriend wants to create or we'll both be lazy and join someone else's guild. Right now, I'm focusing on what I'm looking for in a guild.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I'd picked officer since ''elder'' isn't amongst them ;)

Usually I try to know as much as I can about a game + i'm a HUGE lore-geek who knows his lore (as people probably have seen already :p)

I'm the guy people can ask whatever they want, questions about quests? Just ask me, I will remember each quest/reward/shortcut/etc.etc.etc. questions about classes? Ask me...etc.etc.
    Raidleaders asking me if he didn't made a mistake in explaining the boss tactics.

Helping in setting up events in a guild etc. I try to be the best ''right hand'' for the guild as possible. Although before the game = live i'm usually slacking in guild activities (as my guild may see). Once it starts i'm all in for MY guild!

Don't ask me why I remember all that.....but I do :D (although people can make me doubt myself very quickly).

But that's my job in a guild + the training of the newbies/lowbies :ninja: And I aint the easiest trainer :sneaky:
    Carebear Commander likes this.
  3. Murdax

Murdax New Cupcake

For me I picked leader

I guess it all started from just being a regular member in a good number of guilds and noticed a lot of things that were being done and weren't being down. Getting to the point where I looked at myself and said, I could actually do better with a lot of things that they were doing overall. I hated the fact that persons would join a guild and get used, treated like <REDACTED> or to the point where they were promised a lot of things before joining and none of them were delivered on. So having realized that I had the conscience and capability to be a good leader I did just that. Being a leader which lived by three rules be respectful of person's time, effort and money. Time put into the game, effort put into playing their desired class or profession and money spent to play the game. While over all providing a stress and drama free environment for my members.

I guess what it boils down to is being able to obtain a lot of respect for who I am from the members and other persons motivated and pushed me to be a leader rather than a follower.

I am sincerely sorry if this post turned into a rant from my point, please forgive me.
  4. Carebear Commander

No apologies allowed! This is the kind of stuff I want to hear.
  5. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Been a leader but never of a competitive guild.

I've been an officer in a raid guild before but only briefly and it wasn't too successful because we were trying to recruit on a bad server.

I prefer to at least be an officer or senior member in guilds so that I have the reassurance that the leadership supports my presence in the guild and to be immune from the negative consequences of cliques that inevitably form in guilds.
  6. Xevius

Xevius Cupcake

Ran guilds in UO, SWG, and WoW.

My guild leading days are over, though.

Too many headaches, too much drama to deal with, never enough time to actually play.

I'm a member only kind-of-guy now.
  7. Guilder

Guilder New Cupcake

Hello there. I'm mostly an officer or co-leader. I've been playing MMOs for about 13 years now and out of all those guilds I haven't been an officer or above in just one of them. I'm too shy to run a guild myself and I have trouble talking with other people that I don't know. I also end up being too much of an asset to the Guild Leader to be kept just at the member rank most of the time. My photographic memory allows me to easily keep up with guild members, their contributions, and their activities. I come up with events and activities for the guild as well and ensure that everyone is having a good time.

Once I've joined a guild filled with good, kind people and a nice atmosphere then I have no trouble telling others how awesome my guild is, and can usually recruit people pretty fast. But it's much easier for me to recruit in-game than outside of it, so I'll just leave it to our other awesome officers for now. ;) I prefer casual guilds as well (I read through your post and everyone else's) and RE has really impressed me. If you'd like to check us out just click on my signature to be taken to our website. :D Thank you very much for sharing your story.

Your Friend,
    -----Guilder - Guild Officer of Reckless Endangerment, Founder and Guild Leader of NDS (RE's Exile Branch).

EDIT: The link no longer works. :cry: Sorry about that.
  8. Caimie

Caimie Cupcake-About-Town

I have been an officer, a guild leader (co-leadership) and just a regular member.

Let me just stay a regular member, being a follower is just what I do best :)
    Totally not cut out to be someone in a leading position because I am just too shy, want everybody to be happy and I am not a very charismatic person which in my opinion is a huge benefit for being a guild leader. It also took too much of my time and sanity with all the drama that was going on. It even came so far that I spend my entire work days on it.

I tried and it was not my cup of tea ;)
  9. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Been through all possible permutations of guild membership from a social guilds just spending most of the night focused on gchat, to a Trialist/Member in a 6/7 guild getting completely dumped on by the other members and being pushed to to perform better at all times, then as a leader/leadership team of my own guilds.

If you're in a position of "power" drama is going to come to you, big and small! I find the best way to deal with it is that you have a very clear no BS stance from the start, then with a good share of delegation for leadership responsibilities across your officer/council team helps keep the stress off one person.
    I've made the same mistake as many before and tried to one man it all, but it does eventually catch up to you if you don't surround yourself with a good team of leaders, or more to the point e-friends (I say this to spare myself abuse on TS later).

Some people love the challenge of leading, some people would much rather focus on their own interests in that time that leading a guild would take up. Choosing between leadership and membership should just match up to the type of person you are.

/ramble over :p
  10. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Definitely a leader, though never anything competitive.

As a leader I know I've got the final say (and absolute power) over what the guild does and I like to think that I'm usually pretty helpful and not selfish so I'm up there trying to do the best for the guild and everyone in it.

It's also because I've never really found a guild that I wanted, so I have to start one myself.
  11. Xander de Rooy

Xander de Rooy New Cupcake

I've been a raid leader, guild leader and "officer"; asking to choose what better suits me is easy. I'd take the officer part any day, answering questions about classes, random stuff about raids or anything for that matter, I'm your guy. Usually I just join a guild and sooner or later I'll end up being an officer or something similar to it. Best role I've ever had was prob DKP officer, I handled them lootz. To add one last thing the difference in being an officer in a casual/semi-hardcore/hardcore guild is immense. Once you've led a hardcore guild into raids on beta servers you know the amount of <REDACTED> people can give you haha.

Although its fun being an officer it usually includes loads and loads of drama depending on the attitude of ones guild. Like if you fail 1 week in raiding as a semi-hardcore/hardcore guild you either get loads of leavers nowadays or you get scolded/flamed for taking some people along with the raid. As a guild leader this is even more intense, everyone giving you <REDACTED> most of the time without realizing what you're doing of those people.

Anyway in wildstar I'll just see what happens all I wanna see is my furry gremlin blowing stuff up and laugh like there's no tomorrow!

-Fluffy signing off-
  12. Carebear Commander

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I hope to see more, but if not, I'm happy with what's been posted so far.

For some reason, I imagined there would be a lot more guild leaders on WSC. But I suppose they are too busy being guild leaders to pay attention to this thread lol. I also imagined that their reasoning for leading was, "Because I can lead better than everyone else. Dance minions, dance! Mwahahahaha!"

Since everyone has been elaborating on how they fulfill their guild role, I shall do the same. I feel that I am a mixture of a social/bureaucratic officer. In my current guild, I strive to get to know those members who choose to be social. I've even had the occasional PM from another officer asking who a member was because they didn't know. As for the bureaucratic aspect, I really like having regulations in order to treat everyone fairly and keep track of membership. I feel that unless you have a very small and casual guild, there should be something written about what your expectations are. Unfortunately, I am part of a larger guild that has hardly any regulations in place, and anything I try to suggest usually gets turned down without any substitutions. But rather than stress out about it anymore, I'm just taking it easy and having fun with the people I like.
    Freelancer likes this.
  13. Beetle

Beetle Special Cupcake

I have been a leader for awhile now, moving towards a co-leadership for Wildstar frankly because I may not have as much time as I once did. I trust my co-lead to make good decisions and to keep me informed when I may not be around.

I have been in my leadership role for a few years now and I really enjoy helping my group grow and I love to see our work pay off. I have followed in the past and eventually have seen myself move into leadership areas, maybe one day I could be a follower once again ;)
  14. Lesh

Lesh Cupcake

Kinda funny how there are more officers than members ;) I don't nesseraly want to be an officer but if I get into the game, I will want to mold the guild to suit my needs. Plus I just cant stand inefficiency in any form. I like a certain amount of regulations (to eliminate drama since it makes things impersonal ), chain of command , delighting authority. Plus I'm good at handling conflicts and stressful situation etc...
  15. Carebear Commander

I know, right! I assume it has to do with WS not being out. You generally get a more hardcore following before a game comes out (though I've noticed a few of us "hardcore" casuals).
  16. Kasern

Kasern Cupcake

I have been a leader and a member in several guilds but never an officer, lol. It's not unusual though, as most of the guilds I have belonged to rarely have more than 50 members in them and you really don't need more than 1 officer per 10-15 members + your leader(s).

I enjoy being a member in a guild with strong leadership and clearly defined goals, but more often than not I have been forced to become a leader in order see that. Too many guilds are formed by people who just want to start a more permanent group but with no real idea what they want that group to do other than.

I think I make a decent leader because I don't put up with any <REDACTED>. We're here to play a game and have fun, not deal with drama and I won't tolerate it.

@Mod: Sorry mate. I forgot the rest of the world may not swear as much as us.
  17. Carebear Commander

I think a guild with "strong leadership and clearly defined goals" sums up what I want, more or less. At the same time I want a casual guild, but I sorta feel like people want one or the other. I believe that a casual, no rules guild could work as long as guild size is small and everyone likes the same things. But yeah, when push comes to shove, I like having long term goals and rules.

Thanks for replying Kasern, I was having trouble articulating what I wanted in a guild.

I also want to thank Beetle and Lesh for their input as well.
  18. Kasern

Kasern Cupcake

I think what a lot of people mean today when they say they want a casual guild is that they really want a semi-hardcore guild without an attendance requirement or an active social guild that runs groups for content.

My experience with true casual guilds are those with huge numbers of players that will invite anyone, where the leader goes on and on about how much fun they are and then you end up spending more time solo or PUGing it than with guildies while that leader spends all his time in the same 5 man group of friends every night, or swapping in and out members for his raid team that never finishes the raid.

Those kinds of leaders have no goals, no direction for the future other than "Invite more people, invite more people, invite more people" and someone will come along and take care of it all for them.
  19. Zyd

Zyd Cupcake

It has a lot to do with the commitment that you want to make towards your guild. I have been Guild Master, Officer and Member, and i feel comfortable with any of those, but i believe is something that happens and you want to do because you have this feeling inside that if you were in a higher positions you can help the guild growth.. and sometimes you just want to relax and follow orders.
  20. Carebear Commander

I think I'm in this situation right now and it's incredibly depressing. As an aside, I'm really enjoying your opinion on this topic.

I find it interesting that you're basically comfortable in any position. I assumed most people are only comfortable with being leader vs follower. I know there's cases in this thread of others filling all of the roles at one point in their life, but they still prefer a particular position (even if it changes over time).

Once again, I am happy with the attention this thread has received and hope it has helped others who are confused about what role should they play. :)