1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Best way to handle loot?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by PseudoNimh, Apr 18, 2013.

1. PseudoNimh

PseudoNimh Cupcake

So, I was chatting with Kaewynn in my introduction thread and we both seem to be rather excited about the 40man content. It's an interesting dynamic.. and Kaewynn brought up DKP, which made me snicker and of course groan as I thought back on how many different loot systems my WoW guild tested out.

So I pose a question to the community. What do you believe is a good way for a guild to handle look in a 40man Wildstar raid?
    Brenner and Kaewynn like this.
  2. Kaewynn

Kaewynn Cupcake

From what I remember with Vanilla WoW, I was in guilds that did DKP or Loot Council. Both always seemed to create drama. Anyone have successful strategies when it comes to loot?
  3. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

40 people = guaranteed drama somewhere.

It's more a case of damage prevention. An in depth laid out set of rules would help prevent the people that would blame leadership for loot favouritism.
  4. pondfilter

pondfilter Cupcake

I thought the DKP system was pretty decent and 'fair' in a way, BUT, when you're only starting out and you're having trouble surviving against the bosses then the tanks should be the ones to get priority over gear first, in my opinion. I believe that's how it was done in my brother's guild. Perhaps the healers after that if they are having trouble keeping people up. If there happened to be DPS lacking, then it should be the DPS classes that get the loot first, but I assume weapons will be their main source of power so they'll obviously get those.
  5. Sabre070

Yeah, which ever system you pick you've got to make sure that everyone knows what system you're using and the ins and outs of that system.
  6. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

For smaller raids like 10-20 man then loot council as long as the majority are familiar with each other and you have a well respected, trusted council.

You could try it in 40 man but I don't see it happening for all but the top guilds. I'd probably go with a time based DKP with a decay. This would reset with every new tier.
  7. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Best way to handle loot ~ everyone gets to touch the boss loot chest at the end of the instance and loot a random useful for your class specific item. So I don't have to raid for 8 months without filling out the full gear set competing against other peoples alts. Like GW2 treats loot at the end of an instance.
  8. Primalthirst

Primalthirst Cupcake

A well-run Loot Council is always the best way to distribute loot, regardless of raid size.

The only time Loot Council doesn't work is when you have poor leadership. If that's the case then you need new leadership.
  9. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

I like the standard fare of need/greed. If someone puts in the time, they should have a chance at the rewards. However, if some individuals are inconsiderate and greedy, just exclude them from invitations.

Then again I favor good people over good players most of the time. Can teach most how to play better, but a rotten personality is normally ingrained.
    Phyllo and SudoMistress like this.
  10. SituationSoap

SituationSoap Cupcake-About-Town

11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

We had a mix of DKP / Loot council / Raid needs.

I just don't know what's best, i prefer to play with friends so we have less of those troubles :D
  12. Primalthirst

Primalthirst Cupcake

Logically that's the opposite of what you should have been doing. If raid DPS is lacking it's better to give gear to your best DPSers since they're going to get more benefit from it. It's a marginal gain of course, but at the edge of progression that's what matters.
  13. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Rewarding garbage DPS or at least encouraging slacking is bad.
  14. Sabre070

Depends on if the people with the worst DPS have the worst gear or not. If the people with the best DPS have the worst gear then definitely give it to them.
  15. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

If there was a system that can determine a player's performance compared to others doing his role, also the impact of the upgrade on his performance, and keeping in mind his guild rank, that would be the best loot system in the world.
    SituationSoap likes this.
  16. Sabre070

If only.
  17. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I agree i can't really explain it now i reread it.... lemme try to make it more clear with my ''good'' english :p + some examples

Edit: My previous explaination was horrible :cry:

We didn't really had someone who always failed so the point of ''slacking'' wasn't there.

Example to make it better (numbers are just for example!!):

Rogue 1: (current DKP:200) just won a new weapon from this raids 2nd boss
    Rogue 2: (current DKP:190) still got a weapon from a weaker raid, but he already won a good chest from the 3rd boss of this raid

So Both rogue's got 1 item from the raid.

A new weapon drops from the 4th boss of the raid! (for rogue's)
    While both rogue's want the weapon, we as a raid lack a bit of dps (the battle didn't went very smooth in the dps race so we almost went to the enrage point).

Rogue 1: Stats differences between current weapon and the new weapon = +15 att.p
    Rogue 2: Stats differences between current weapon and the new weapon = +90 att.p +35 agi +20 hit + 50 crit

Both got around the same dps (on the dps meters), Rogue 1 got slightly more (thanks to his new weapon from another boss).

While rogue 1 got more DKP, we all agree on giving Rogue 2 the weapon for the biggest boost in stats.
    Rogue 1 though get dubs on next rogue weapon that drops above rogue 2.

Now don't go saying things like, but what about other classes that wanted the weapon....this is an example.

While it doesn't seem fair, most of us knew each other IRL (95% of us), and we just wanted the achievement to be first.
  18. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Then you aren't really giving it out based on DPS amounts you are distributing loot based on net gain, a smart thing to do at times. The end result for both would be the same in this example but in other situations it might not and a net gain approach would still make more sense than least DPS.
  19. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Aye, english is hard for me, so my best friend is the ''edit'' button i agree i didn't really explained it well.

''Net gain''....ofc....if i just came up with those names before i posted anything ;)

Thank God i'm better at gaming then at english/explaining, mayby it's the reason i never lead groups/raids :p You should HEAR my english :down:
  20. PseudoNimh

PseudoNimh Cupcake

My hope is to have a solid and frank discussion about it to try and prevent guaranteed drama. I know it's tough, I've been there as a guild leader in other places. Just hoping by going over everything now, I can use the information passed on to pick a good guild for Wildstar :)