1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Best way to handle loot?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by PseudoNimh, Apr 18, 2013.

1. nipeerc

nipeerc New Cupcake

Greetings,

I was guild leader/raid leader of a top 3 server raiding guild in WoW from vanilla thru Cataclysm. We used a standard DKP system for the 40 man raids. Everyone started with 100 points. Set pieces were minimum 50 points, non-set items had minimum of 25. Gave 10 points per boss and/or 10 points per hour if learning new content. Once something was on "farm" values of the bosses were cut in half. Also would give say 100 points for the first kill of the last boss in a raid dungeon and other incentives to grind away.

It was silent bid system, when an item would drop, a certain person would take the bids.
    We used a 1 +2nd highest bid system.

Example: Player 1 bids 200, player 2 bids 350, player 3 bids 210. Player 2 would win paying 210+1 = 211 for the item.

In the event only one person bid, they would pay the minimum set price of the 25/50 depending on item.

That system worked pretty well most of the time. There is always complaints about a certain person always having more DKP then the rest of that class and would always get the items first. But the higher DKP a player has just shows that more time was put in and deserves the item.

My guild members were all people we played with for years so everyone was pretty good about knowing who an item would benefit more. For example, we usually geared the Main Tank first from tank items that dropped so the tank could handle the task of tanking the bosses and not get 2 shot. Many players would pass on items to other players due to the benefit would be greater from what they had to what they would get. (Minor item level upgrades vs. 30 points item level changes)

The problem with DKP is once you reach a certain point, players are just stockpiling DKP waiting on new content to be released. We implemented a decay system for when new content arrived where everyone's DKP was cut in half, reduced by a percentage, or occasionally everyone was reset back to 100 depending on length of time between content. We progressed thru content pretty rapidly so everyone got geared pretty fast and would have a ridiculous amount of DKP.

If no one bid on an item, would open it up to off-spec items and people could spend their dkp on it to help keep values down.

I also had a No ALT in Raid Rule so there's no argument about someone's ALT getting loot over a main player. It saves a lot of arguing and less paperwork.

Kept the same DKP system when raids shrunk down to 25 man raids. Never used DKP in 10 man raids, our guild was large enough to run 2 or 3 10 main raids on off nights. This was before when you could do both 10 and 25 on separate timers.

Just some input from a top raiding guild leader.

Thanks,
  2. Shimitsu

Shimitsu New Cupcake

It really depends on how hardcore you want to be in my opinion. Loot systems like DKP are more fair and reward attendance / participation, but that doesn't mean the loot will go to the best use. Someone can just save up their points and blow it on a piece of loot that is only mediocre for them.

If you raid for loot or to "be geared" then you want something more fair, but if you raid for progression, world rank, or simply the success of the guild as a whole, then you must have a loot council in my opinion. Having led a pretty hardcore WoW guild, I can say that a loot council gives you the highest chance that loot goes to the best use, and helps the guild as a whole in the long run.

The last and best piece of advice I can probably give is this: Make sure everyone understands the rules up front and be consistent with them. That should cut down on drama regardless of the system being used.

Edit: One thing not mentioned is the difficulty of using any of these methods without an external addon. That could be a really limiting factor in what you choose.
    Gargantua likes this.
  3. PseudoNimh

PseudoNimh Cupcake

I could not agree more. Communication and clarity are so important no matter what topic you are discussing guild wise. Guild member buy-in to the system is important, and the ability to discuss it clearly and communicate ideas helps to empower a guild regardless of how small or large it could be. Nicely said.
  4. Nowi

Nowi New Cupcake

There is no way to prevent a fight when it comes to loot.
    Most players obviously raid to get loot and when it comes to loot there will Always be greed involved.

But from my experience id have to say Loot Council is the most fair and best.
    DKP System will only cause other members to have a grudge against eachother for outbidding eachother.
  5. AimLock

AimLock Cupcake

Im hoping the game will solve some of these problems IE you can only need on class weapons.

But for 40 man , this thread gave me a head ache . The Drama train is coming !
  6. PseudoNimh

PseudoNimh Cupcake

The hope is that by having many different thoughtful opinions and discussions, guilds, guild leaders, and people new to raiding or large group raiding, can make decisions that can help prevent the drama train™ :D