1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Beta Keys for WSC

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by JCwildthing, Mar 17, 2013.

1. JCwildthing

JCwildthing Cupcake

If beta keys are given to this community, how will you all decide who will receive one?
  2. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

That would be down to Carbine Studios and whatever their selection process is for handing out beta keys. Should WSC be given keys to hand out at our discretion then we'd think of something appropriate at the time (a small amount of keys would likely be a competition prize, a large amount would probably a giveaway situation).
    JCwildthing likes this.
  3. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

IMO best way to decided who would get keys

[​IMG]
    Goreshank and Rakkis like this.
  4. jordan coughlin

jordan coughlin New Cupcake

If it were me, i'd be giving keys to the most dedicated people towards the game, people who showed the most interest in it. So track down the emails given for beta key signups, and then find them on the forums and see how much they've interacted.
  5. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

Beta keys should be given to those that can offer... people that want to test the game and provide feedback, not those that they want to check if it is good so to play it in the future.

how much ppl interacted is kinda irrelevant... dont make me explain why
  6. Yushi

Yushi Cupcake

To people who've contributed on the site in a ''non-spammy'' intelligent way. It's good to have people excited going into the beta, but sometimes they are just blinded by their own fandom of reality. Now I know we'll get a few people who will just play the game, not like it and move on. It's the sad reality that they'll never even give a try to contribute to the actual testing.

But again, I think it's important to find people who have a neutral stance on the game and yet are able to give out good information to the dev and maybe sometimes overshadow some of the ''omg best game ever'' kind of people.
  7. Riamu

Riamu Cupcake

I agree somewhat, though anyone can say they'll give constructive feed back. When well, we know that may not be the case.
  8. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

I believe it should be random. Because if you only distribute them to regulars, you'll likely filter out those who are a bit more critical about the game and aren't quite enthusiastic about it yet. That way, you get feedback from a fan standpoint and a critic standpoint.
    Azzurri and JarNod like this.
  9. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I think I can make a proper selection of people in the Wildstar community though. I'm sure Carbine already has a list of people they want in the beta test.
  10. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Carbine have no access to the email addresses given on this fan forum - so that wouldn't be an option for them.

I honestly believe that if any quantity of keys are to be handed out via WSC (and not by Carbine themselves to WSC Community members - which I also believe likely) then it'll be at the open beta/pre-order stage and not the actual closed beta testing.

Which is as it should be - testers should be selected for testing purposes in closed beta based on your initial tester application - not for any participation in a WildStar community (being on WSC is it's own reward, right? :) ) as that is likely to cut out a lot of genuine and dedicated hobbyist game testers.
    Patrician and Kataryna like this.
  11. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I don't agree with this. People who are active and involved in the community should have priority over a random applicant who could have forgotten (s)he filled in the application in the past.

What you need is people that are involved with the game and are critical of game features. For a closed beta you also want people you know they are doing their best to test the game, not play it only to get early access.

Random invites for a closed beta test are a bad idea imho. I can see different phases in a beta test though, with the later phases being random invites, but not for the first initial closed beta phase.
  12. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

Testing should be done based on the "computer spec's" you have not based on the any forums.
  13. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

One of the nice things Rift did was invite people who they considered the best posters on their forums into Alpha (which was Rifts closed beta) as a reward to the most dedicated. I thought that was a very nice touch and one of the reasons their Alpha had almost no beta leaks. It also had the effect of having people test that truly cared about the game and that treated people on the forums with respect. They first started with what appeared to be about 50-100 posters then broadened that out a few months later adding a few hundred more plus adding in some dedicated guild invites.

In a way Rift is similar to WS as its an under the radar game that for a long time only a dedicated few knew about. The 1st Rift fansite was Rift Central (whose members were many of the people invited in the 1st Alpha wave) and I am guessing the 1st WS fansite was Carbine Central which later became WSC. I had joined both boards in 2009 and was excited about both games. The difference here was Rift set up their own official boards in April 2010 allowing them to better select out the community members they wanted for their Alpha .
  14. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

For open beta sure, but not for closed beta.
  15. JCwildthing

JCwildthing Cupcake

Good stuff guys. Thanks.
  16. Slyndria

I think you have that backwards, makes no sense to wait for open beta to invite via computer specs.... that will cause nothing but issues
  17. Malisent

Malisent Cupcake-About-Town

I liked this too (and benefited from it in Rift). But.. since there are no official forums, not really an option. Also, some of the best and most active beta testers I've seen in the past seem to prefer to get involved with the beta and live communities, but without much activity on the official forums prior to that.

Personally, I tend to hit a wall pre-betas with how much speculating I'm willing to participate in and post sporadically, which has no reflection on my game or community interest. Then of course there are some folks who don't like getting involved on fan sites at all and wait for official forums.

I can't imagine any fan site would be given beta invites to hand out for anything other than a end-of-beta closed stress test type thing. Seems for full CB testing, they are going to want to pick from their own pool. But then again, who knows, Carbine is doing things a little differently :alien:
    Zinn likes this.
  18. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

It's true you can use both open and closed points in beta to evaluate game/class mechanics as well as component compliance; I don't think anyone is suggesting Carbine wait until open beta to start optimizing their game to the plethora of hardware out there. I think where people disagree with you is that the best time to evaluate hardware is when the fewest people are playing the beta (ie the closed beta). That's what open beta is for, stress testing and component testing. You can bring more people in during open beta, which means more computers, thus more diversity of hardware. Closed betas are good for testing mechanic viability and class balance.
  19. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

I would agree with you. It seems the trend of late is for betas to be very small and hand picked with people devs know and trust. That likely means players they know and have worked with before. While I am sure most if not all desperately want to play and it eventually in time we will get to play. The important thing is they make a good game. Regardless this a nice community and a great way to share our excitement and interest for the game. Its quite rare to be this excited about a new MMO. The last two games I have been excited prior to release like this were Vanguard and Rift. And speaking of excitement I am guessing we will be bombarded with a lot of new info in Pax next week. I am pretty excited and really glad we have WS to look forward to.
    JarNod likes this.
  20. Slyndria

I get what you are saying, however if you wait until open beta (IE close to launch) to evaluate hardware that gives you VERY little time to make changes. Also, the key factor people forget is you want open beta to be a WONDERFUL experience for the player to get them hooked for launch. This is the first time the majority of the player base will ever touch the game, you do not want constant CTD's and other issues to arise during this time frame. The point of open beta is to hype the game along with test the server backbone to make sure it can meet the demand.

There is a reason that most beta's ask for a Dxg file for closed beta invite's.
    Liris likes this.