1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Biggest Concern about the Stalker.

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Baamz, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Are we back to arguing about stealth classes again?

People seem to not comprehend that once a rogue is exposed, they are exposed. leaving them in a weaker combat state and everyone is going to try and take him or her out.

The major whine people usually have is they get 1 shot by a silent assassin, which is exactly what the archtype is suppose to do. which begs the question if you don't want that, then why put it in?
    Trying to prolong a rogues combat ability outside of stealth results in the bastarrdization of the warrior class.

If people took a step back, and looked at this from a group perspective, yes you may die or be critically injured but your team mates will now be alerted to the presence of a 'stealthy' which is now in a sub par state and can be taken out relatively easily.

Like wise, if your holding a position, then your team mates should be patrolling anyway. you know, Teamwork and such?
    selodaoc likes this.
  2. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

When you say "dodge", do you mean "dash"? As I have understood it so far, we have "dash" in WildStar, which means that we move a short distance more quickly in a direction than we would if we just tried to run that way, and that "dodge" is a result of us actually "dashing" out of a telegraphs and various dangers. I believe (and I may be wrong) unlike GW2 combat, if you dash/dodge within a telegraph and do not clear out of it, you will actually still take damage and the effects of the attack.

I fear GW2 has corrupted the meaning of "dodge" with their immunity implementation that they put in the game, though, perhaps other games had done so before hand.
  3. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

There is Dash which is strictly for movement.. you can move faster out of telegraphs, but you can also Dodge.. there is a Dodge mechanic that lets you roll out of the way of dmg.. where both can move you away from harm, I believe Dodge gives temporary immunity to incomming Dmg when used, If timed correctly and used to avoid telegraphs not go into them :p
  4. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

Devs have said several times that Dodge does not give damage immunity. One can spec into damage reduction during dodges, however.
  5. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

Missed that, and have seen every video.. I did notice the latest video's he took Dmg every time, I just thought he timed it wrong. Thank you for the correction... In the Movement Video the guy uses Dodge threw fire and takes no dmg.. the fire had Telegraph too. Thats where my confusion started lol
  6. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

I saw that too and wondered but in the crowd control video his attempted dash to his weapon is interrupted. In several other videos and during the live streams the characters seem to continue taking damage while dashing around. I'm thinking there must have been some sort of delay on the damage caused by that fire.
  7. achesoma

achesoma Cupcake

Without stealth classes, nukers could just sit there comfortably blasting players with ease, without ever getting touched. It's like a quarterback without a pass rush. It would be boring and without challenge. Stealthies are pretty easy to counter in any mmo. You can't just sit there, spamming your same rotation and expect to win. It always amazes me how many ranged dpsers will run away just exposing their backside and forgetting to cc in a panic.
    Bazeleel, selodaoc and schmell like this.
  8. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

I kinda like this, Without Stealthers........ The world would seem a bit less, as if it were missing a vital part
  9. Yowser

Yowser Cupcake

Dash is a quick movement ability in any direction to get you out of the way of something. There is no immunity and a character has 2 charges of it. It recharges over time after use.

There is no separate dodge mechanic, just Dash.
  10. D3athcr33ps

D3athcr33ps Cupcake

I think the main issue with people hating stealth classes is when they have amazing burst, CC, and they are invisible. From the gameplay videos it seems that the initial burst isn't sicking, they don't have excessive CC, and the perma stealth (while possibly annoying) isn't an insta-win. You could easily tease out each classes mechanics to say they have an unfair advantage. The esper has huge cone telegraphs (anti-stealth), the spellslinger has long range (anti-melee), the warrior has heavy armor (anti-melee), etc.

I would say wildstar has put in MORE mechanics than any other game than dealing with stealth classes based off what I saw. Only time will tell if stalkers are the OMGBURST, CC chainers everyone has made them out to be.
  11. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

Yes this has been addressed already :)
  12. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

Ive said the same thing in my thread. Those "berserkers" are awfull in PvP and always get picked out and killed first. Burst is A and O for a stealth class
    Exactly. Guess which class are the first on the forums to complain about rogues? in every mmorpg...
  13. Bazeleel

Bazeleel Cupcake-About-Town

In wow it's the ice mages. Yet they can spam ice lance hitting you for 5k while kitting you. That got nerfed and boy did they get pissed.

Guess what happens when most assassin classes get nerfed? We deal with it and get better. Sure you have the scrubs that post but those make up for maybe, and I am guessing here, 30% if the player base.

Can't tell you how many times I had to relearn my class in a mmo(playing a assassin). Still kicking butt because I didn't think it was unfair.

It's called adapt and over come . Not be a complete tool and complain if you get beat.

You make a very good point. If ranged classes where allowed to just stand there guess what class would be complained about the most??? The kill triangle is there for a reason.
    Khannicus the Great likes this.
  14. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

Nerf Nerf.... People complain about Stealth classes and get them nerfed.. then when I destroy them as a stealth class again after so called nerf, It makes them look even worse as a player.
    Khannicus the Great and Mellkor like this.
  15. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Don't worry, real Chua don't ask for a nerf. Real Chua just KILL!!!

Main point is that stealth in WS is different then in games like WoW, there is far little to be concerned about. People just cling to the one shot ideas to much. In WS there will be no one shotting or stunlocking by 1 simple stalker if you are around the same level. People will come to see this once they'll play the game.
  16. Iskiab

Iskiab Cupcake

Yea, I can see stealth classes being more powerful then in other games because of the targeting system. With healers having to target all a melee has to do is pressure a healer and they won't be very effective.

The best thing to do imo is to have different abilities for pve and pvp. For pve the positional requirement of being behind the target is doable. In pvp it will be a lot harder to maintain being behind. So make stalker dps high from behind and lower if using non-positional attacks.

That way the stalker playstyle will be they'll be slightly weaker then other classes on a head to head battle with stealth to offset the weakness. The best stalkers will be beasts because they'll be able to get off the positional attacks, have going back into stealth in combat, etc... It'll be one of those hard to master classes but for those that do master it they'll be amazing - i.e. stalkers will be a fun class.
  17. Mellkor

Lots of people have said this among different games but its actually a horrible idea.

It essentially doubles the amount of work companies has to do and breaks the game in to 2 games pvp, and pve.

I would rather have double the classes than 2 sets of the same class.
  18. Iskiab

Iskiab Cupcake

Wildstar is already setup this way. You'll have 30 or so abilities and you can only put 8 on your hotbar. I can guarantee you some will be catered to pvp and some to pve.
  19. Mellkor

Sure, maybe, But they are interchangeable.

Once you start placing restrictions on which abilities can be active for the content you are doing, you going to need double the manpower to balance both aspects of the game.

New pvp ability next patch? sure as hell better release a pve equivalent so players don't get <REDACTED>ty.
  20. silvershadez

silvershadez Cupcake

Wow this thread is full of so much over exaggeration. If someone that has never played any MMORPG before would read all this posts he would get the impression "poor rogues, they're hated and they get nerfed so much".

Other classes seem to be forgotten in this term. The most discussed balance related topic allways is about the stealthers...

From my experience rogue-type classes neither get a preferred treatment nor are they the number one target when it comes to nerfs. They just get the most attention, because the community directs it right onto them (with threads like this).

We have yet to see how stealth in wildstar with all those AoE - telegraphs works out. If they get dropped out of stealth when they receive damage they will be at some bigger disadvantage compared to WoW, giving other classes proper forms of "counterplay".

I'm not pleased with stealth systems and how they work in most MMO's but this is another story.