1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Black Desert Online

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Einzo, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Einzo

Einzo Cupcake

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    lelouch likes this.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Looks nice as a game, but since i'm in love with a more cartoonish looks i won't even be trying it out. I'll end up being anoyed by the surrounding all game long anyway....
  3. Methios

Methios Cupcake

Looked decent till I seen the combat.....
  4. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

I'm a back-and-forth kinda guy :p.

Right now, I've got a huge hankering for art that's like Wildstar :p. Let's face it, WoW may be stylised and colourful, but the art style isn't really 'cartoony' per se. Wildstar on the other hand is full-on 'cartoony' in art style, and embraces the aesthetic to such a degree that it encompasses their humour and setting as well.

There's just nothing like Wildstar out on the market right now, whereas there's been a lot of 'realistic'-looking MMOs. Even Guild Wars 2 really looks nothing like its concept art, even though it's a damn fine-looking game. :p

Ok, now on the subject of Black Desert Online - WOW. Colour me impressed. I'm so into Wildstar that few other games can even grab my attention, but this game has done so; so that says a lot. It just looks SO. DAMN. PRETTY. Even the distance culling thing doesn't bother me much (although it's very prominent in this vid) :p.

I mean, damn. Wow. @_@

Not only is it a damn impressive-looking world from a design standpoint (they've gone for a medieval fantasy look rather than straight-up high fantasy, from the looks of things); but I'm also impressed that they put so much effort into small touches in their world like that guy being measured at a tailor; and all the other small goings-on in town. Even Guild Wars 2 (which had a lot of what I consider to be small 'slices of life' with NPCs) didn't have stuff like this.

I also really like that they're hitting upon very resonant fairytale themes like that pied piper bit with all the rats. That shot alone tells you a lot about the tone and setting of this game. Would that stuff even resonate with a Korean audience?

I do have a bit of a personal stigma towards Korean MMOs though. :p I'm a little wary, but I have to remember to keep an eye on this one to see if its gameplay can compare with its visuals. :p While I can't say for certain (since we don't know much about it), I have a feeling that this game's gameplay isn't going to be my style.

Right now though, what I want is something familiar, but with tonnes of depth; basically: Wildstar. :p
  5. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

I thought it looked pretty "meh" until I saw the combat, which looked to be quite fun. The only thing that put me off was the "pop-in" of trees and things in the distance.
  6. Vembumees

Vembumees Cupcake-About-Town

There are about 5 similar asian games revealed, few with even higher end graphics than Black Desert, so not really interested. It's really hard to really hype up to any asian titles if I am not able to play them in asian servers without spending money on proxies, accounts etc, since NA/EU versions will be turned into <REDACTED>, with features removed and the playerbase is usually NOT who the game was designed for. I had great experiences with most of the asian titles until the whiny WoW generation took over the western mmorpg market, now I just can't have an enjoyable experience in any asian games in EU/NA servers.

PLUS, don't expect asian releases to get to NA/EU, at least not within 2 years of their release. Pointless to hype yourself up for these titles when you MIGHT see those games in NA/EU versions in 5 years the least.
  7. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Looks good, I've also followed Bless a bit another MMO which features high-end graphics and action combat.
  8. enaske

enaske New Cupcake

For all the German guys out there: Take a look at our German Fanpage:

www.blackdesert-online.de :)

English Speakers also welcome! :)
  9. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

10. Einzo

Einzo Cupcake

11. Supercorgi

Supercorgi Cupcake

I too think Black Desert looks amazing. Wished it was going to be in the US market because I do like medieval fantasy based games. It is interesting how very European middle ages the environment is. As for appealing to Korean audiences I don't know. I do know that the Japanese love medieval European stuff. I once visited the city of Rothenburg Germany. It's a medieval walled town that was pretty much untouched by modernization since the trade routes changed it and got overlooked. There were tons of Japanese tourists there and there are plaques on sections of the town walls where the restoration was paid for by Japanese groups. So I think some of the Asian audience really likes the medieval European stuff.
  12. Einzo

Einzo Cupcake

I got into the KR closed beta and I must say I am impressed. Graphics, BGM and Combat are awesome.

Some pictures and videos I took and recorded during the closed beta:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Kane Hart

Kane Hart New Cupcake

Looks great but if it turns into another F2P game I'm out.
  14. Einzo

Einzo Cupcake

New video is up with better quality. Sorceress starting area gameplay!

15. Einzo

Einzo Cupcake

New Sorceress Combat Gameplay Short Video~

AaaaaaaAAand.... here's a pic of a sheep's butt. Lol.

[​IMG]
  16. Einzo

Einzo Cupcake

[​IMG]

Cuteness overload! Cat wants cuddle! Haha. I will be posting more videos and pictures of other classes soon! :)
  17. Einzo

Einzo Cupcake

Update: Black Desert KR Open Beta likely to be at the end of this month or early next month. For those who are residing in Asia/ Oceanic region or wish to join an English-speaking group for Black Desert Online, you may join the facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/blackdesertoceanicasia/
  18. Einzo

Einzo Cupcake

Update: Black Desert Korea Open Beta on 17 December 2014. You will need a Korea ID/ Phone number to create an account. Website: http://black.game.daum.net/black/index.daum

For those who are residing in Asia/ Oceanic region or wish to join an English-speaking group for Black Desert Online, you may join the facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/blackdesertoceanicasia

For those who are searching for a Guild with experienced members who played in the Korea Closed Beta, you may consider joining us at http://einsofgaming.com/bdapply

All the best and see you guys in game!