1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Blizzard is now officially morally bankrupt!

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by FairyTailisBack, Oct 8, 2013.

1. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

I have had my nose up blizzards buttcrack for many years now, defending every movement, or rather every bowel movement they made. However, after being shat on for years, eventually everyone has to come up for air. Now, free from blizzards enveloping gases I can think clearly again. Looking back, I find myself questioning my choices, and those of Blizzard. Over the recent years I have seen Blizzard make ever more questionable decisions, yet I as a diehard fan remained faithfully loyal. It is then that I realized that Blizzard is no longer the company it once was. They no longer care about gamers, or even the games they make. No, the only standards left at blizzard is a productive quarterly report.

WoW casualized in the hopes of attracting more customers.

WoW's item store pets sellable

WoW's item shop containing experience potions.

SC2 broken into 2 expansions

D3's RMAH

D3's lack of customer support

Titan won't be subscription based

etc.. All for the sake of pure unadulterated greed, and at the cost of the detriment of the games we love.

Now this,

Blizzard is introducing another game that should be out in a few weeks called Hearthstone. It is a pay to win card game, that they proclaim to be free to play. I say 'proclaimed' because a proper free to play game allows a player to substitute time in place for money. Problem is that it is impossible to grind for cards in hearthstone!

The majority of gold is locked behind a quick and easy daily quest. Sounds great right? Well, not really, since you only get one per day, the pay to win crowd can easily complete these quests as well, which means you can never catch up to them as a free to play player. Furthermore, the daily quest only awards enough gold to participate in the arena mode once every two or three days. Further entry fee cost an additional two dollars per pop. And if that wasn't enough, there is more! At the current rate of gold acquisition it will take the average free to play player 3 years, playing every day, in order to collect the entire base set!

Note, this doesn't include expansions, which should come out at least once per year. There is even a gold set above this base set, but don't worry about that, because the odds of getting said cards are so astronomically bad that you will never get a complete set! Well, not unless you are mentally insane, or the grandson of Bill Gates anyways. One would have to shell out thousands, that's right thousands, of dollars to have any hope of finishing that set. A set which I might add has no intrinsic value, as these cards cannot be sold or traded.

But wait, that isn't even the 'best' part. Blizzard is going to allow the closed beta testers to maintain their progress through the 2nd phase of closed beta! That's right, they are essentially releasing the game in closed beta to give these players a head start. This in turn gives the closed beta players, a statistically huge advantage over the newcomers to the game at release!

The most basic rule of gaming is that games be made as fair as possible! Blizzard has not only broken this cardinal rule, but is releasing a game that is nothing more than a sham, a con, and a ripoff to the nth degree. Some people say that is the model of the future? Well, if it is I want no part of it! I would rather quit gaming altogether, then to suffer the indignity of playing such trash. I used to be a diehard blizzard fan, and this was one of the very few developers I trusted in the industry. Now to see them devolve into this literally sickens me. At this point I don't think Blizzard can sink any lower.

Anyways, I have rambled on enough. My point is that I really hope that Carbine is a suitable replacement for Blizzard, because I am officially done with anything and everything to do with that company. Here is to hoping greed doesn't corrupt Carbine to the core!
  2. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

So far so good! Hopefully they don't change too much, if Wildstar is a huge success. Kind of love the attutide they have right now, towards Wildstar and the community. Almost coming out with funny Vines & Dev speak videos. :)

CARBINE DON'T CHANGE! :inlove:
    Destrin likes this.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

That thing about Hearthstone.
    Written with the new patchnotes in mind? Or not?

Also love the title :D with the ''now''......took you long enough to see :laugh:
    Apostate likes this.
  4. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

WoW: Yes the casualization was needed slightly (more roughing out the edges on certain boss fights) but it was taken too far in some aspects.

D3: Never had an issue with the real auction house, had a bigger issue with the "You need gear of iLvl 63 to get decent iLvl 62 gear"

Starcraft 2: if the xpacks provide as much if not more story as Wings of Liberty, then I am ok with it. plus if you play with a friend that has heart of the swarm, they can share their content with you allowing you to play heart of the swarm games.

Hearthstone: its an Online TCG, you can buy packs like any other tcg with cash this isn't a new concept. the closed beta phase 1 to phase 2 reset everyone's unlocks, but did refund people who spent gold on packs the amount they spent (if you bought 5 packs of cards in phase 1 you started with enough gold for 5 packs in phase 2)

tl:dr version: Yes blizzard has made some bad decisions, but they aren't morally bankrupt.
  5. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

A logical fallacy I picked up from this: If Blizzard is REALLY interested in their bottom line so much, why are they instituting policies that are driving away players? It's ironic how every time people attack game companies for being greedy SoBs, they're actually LOSING money as players flee their game. Maybe they ARE interested in profit, but profit is equal to quality gameplay.

In other words, the assertion that Blizzard or other game companies are only interested in profit when they're driving away fans and players makes no sense. Maybe they are, but even if so, why pay so much attention to it?

Besides, companies SHOULD be greedy. If they make a damn good product that is competitive on the market, they will make money. Lots of money. If anything, maybe Blizzard got lazy and fell for marketing tactics that don't actually work well.
    Dirty Outlaw and Mondasin like this.
  6. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Blizzard has a habit of trying to help players and make a better game from its original form and backfiring badly just look at wow. Blizzard tries to appease everyone and often appeases no one doesn't make them morally bankrupt just dumb.

I'm surprised at the titan info where did you hear that the only thing I heard is that titan in its current form is canceled and a new team is going to reformat it and the most likely time in which we will get new info is 2016 (which btw is one the reasons I started looking elsewhere for a new mmo, blizzard's loss is carbine's gain I suppose, at least if something I deemed more interesting arises anyway.)

I agree with Xlugon Pyro companies should be greedy as long as they don't alienate their buyers. As a consumer I am willing to shell out money for a quality product as long as I'm not being cheated or sold too.
    Mondasin likes this.
  7. SisterSin

SisterSin Cupcake

" Serious mode " Sorry OP but from how I understand you will be able to catch up. Okay it might take a while but I have researched enough to know the doom your predicting is a little unfounded.

With gold you can buy packs or run arenas if you run the latter and you win at least 3 matches you basically earn a pack which is roughly the same amount in gold.

There is a limited amount of cards and honestly you can catch up. The only card you won't be able to get is the Blizzcon one.

Honestly Blizz have made some mistakes ( mop is not one no mater how many people claim ) I can see your point but honestly it's really not as bad as you think.

I feel they are not as good as they once were but still I will probably buy every game they make.

"Serious mode off "
  8. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Why did you write a deceiving thread title?
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  9. Xlugon Pyro

It probably is related to the OP's cognitive capacity.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  10. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

I love when people go off on rants about video game companies, yet they do not understand the business side of things. The bottom line is profit. It always has been and always will be.

Every company plays the role of the good guys who only want to provide the best products or experiences for their customers at first. Give them a couple of years to become established and they will reveal their true intentions.

I guarantee you people are going to be complaining about Carbine and the choices they make at some point as well. It's just the nature of business.
  11. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

zomg i diddnt think blizzard was for profit! this is news people!
  12. Zephiris

Zephiris New Cupcake

Blizzard should become Blizzard again, and not Activision Blizzard. Maybe Blizzard is involved in company policies that it can't get out off essentially killing their respected name they worked so hard to build.

Anyways, I already saw it coming long time ago and decided to walk away from WoW.
  13. Xlugon Pyro

Besides, if you don't agree with the company's products/policies, walk away and take your money with you. Every other consumer does this. Complain with your wallet.
  14. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

There is no room for logic in today's world.

Get out of here with your logical nonsense!
    Malorak, B00TE, Xecks and 2 others like this.
  15. Mykor

Mykor Cupcake-About-Town

If you are unhappy with the direction of a game you might consider quitting. Let another gaming company try to grab your attention.
    These threads make me think of that old girlfriend that you dumped. Even after several years, she is still mad and still talks about you. Move on, you'll be happier.
    I have played several Blizzard games throughout the years and overall I have really enjoyed them. When WoW started to get boring, I cancelled my sub..... simple.
    Xecks, Narrack and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  16. Xlugon Pyro

Xecks likes this.
  17. Prof. Walrus

Prof. Walrus Cupcake

I have only 1 argument to support Fairy: Activision-Blizzard.

Blizzard was great, Activision is out for money and squeezes it out of Blizzard now..
  18. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

im gonna have to go with the whole not playing if you are unhappy with the company's policies.
  19. Xlugon Pyro

People are allergic to logic. Beware!
    Malorak and Xecks like this.
  20. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

feel like im in the middle ages.