1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Blizzard is now officially morally bankrupt!

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by FairyTailisBack, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I feel like I'm God sometimes. Finding solid, well-reasoned arguments is so rare that I can't help but feel I'm constantly surrounded by fools.
  2. SisterSin

SisterSin Cupcake

That sounds like Witch talk to me !
  3. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

It's games like these that give F2P games a bad name.
  4. Agent Drew

Agent Drew Cupcake-About-Town

Any real CCG was pay to win. The fact that you have a opportunity to get cards for free at all is a bonus.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  5. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

I reject any videogame that tries to market itself as a "CCG" if it doesn't give you complete ownership of your cards, by which I mean you should be able to buy and sell them as if they were made of cardboard. That's how real CCGs function, you don't have people buying whole crates of cards until RNG gives them a full set, you have people buying a certain amount of packs, getting some portion of the set via RNG, and then trading off the stuff they don't want, and buying directly the ones they do want and were not lucky enough to pull. And "CCG" that forces you to use RNG across the board is just a scam.
    Alverad likes this.
  6. Agent Drew

Or perhaps a system that allows you to make the cards you want by taking the unwanted cards and turning them into other cards?
    Livnthedream likes this.
  7. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

That'd certainly be nice, nobody likes having cards they have no use for, but I really think that player ownership is essential either way. You should never have to keep rolling indefinitely until the RNG gods give you the content you want, there should always be a secondary market to allow people to trade what they have extra of for what they lack. Statistically, you're as likely to get as many 1:10 cards as any other player, but if you pull ten out of a set of ten rares you might get three #2s and be missing 4 and 9, while other players might each be missing #2 but have doubles of 4 and 9, so between the three of you, you could end up with full sets, while with any RNG scenario, you have to just keep plucking that chicken until you get the last one, most likely ending up with twice as many total cards as you really wanted.
  8. Agent Drew

Reason I ask is because last I heard you could disenchant cards you don't want into a dust that can be used to craft whatever cards you want. Obviously some cards would require a large amount of mats to craft, but you could essentially make whatever you want and have the exact deck you need given time.

I'm in beta for it now but haven't checked to see for sure. I'll have to check out the crafting later to see exactly how that all works.
  9. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

you can de cards. theres even a system that you can mass de cards that are above the 2 you can have in your deck. so ya its cool.
  10. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

While I do agree with you, truth is, the whole so called Big Business is morally corrupt beyond any reason.

We have all rendered that strategy viable by quite happily allowing various companies to take benefit of our own weaknesses and stupidity. As long as this doesn't stop, nothing will change.

It's quite obviously more profitable to milk masses of passing by players while engaging in creative accounting than to try and maintain a loyal but demanding fan base.

Companies like Acti Blizz do not make games - they make products with just enough entertainment value for an average impatient and entitled Joe, to entice him to throw sufficient amount of money at it then move on to a next one - spreading an illusion of unlimited access to a broad spectrum of entertainment, quality matters not.

People rarely use their brains, they are quite happy to be taken advantage of - can't seem to see beyond really basic marketing tricks and dive nose down into any <REDACTED> thrown at them as long as the packaging is appealing.

Sad state of humanity in the current times.

All that's left is hope, that among all this <REDACTED>, there are still some people passionate enough about what they are doing, whether it's games, music, whatnot - and that there is enough of them, that creativity and quality will not get squashed out completely in the name of profits.
  11. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby Cupcake-About-Town

Blizzard started to fail when they stopped giving a single <REDACTED> about what their community say.Not only that but they even lie to their community thinking themselfs smart.

I dont want to comment about World of Warcraft because i dont care anymore about the game cause at the current state its just a bad game catered for idiots not casuals.

The only game i can comment about is Starcraft 2.I have no problem with 2 expansions.We already know that Starcraft 2 will have 3 and i am fine.One for each race.I find the choice behind it extremely good giving a whole campaign for each race.

The problem with Sc2 is that Blizzard yet again didnt listened to their community.They implemented one of the most retarded units ever in Sc2(mines) and gave every race(Not zerg ofc) early harass units and early defence.They promised early agression and middle game agression and guess what?They lied.

Games nowdays are boring and not fun to watch.The only chance you see something good is wait Koreans do something fancy:)

To be honest i dont blame Blizzard.They want money like every company.They liked when they had like 12 millions subs at WoW and a lot of hype for both Sc2 and Diablo 3.But when they offered <REDACTED> games and people left guess what they did?They didnt made their games better.They infested the forums with Green fanboys saying bull<REDACTED>s and copy-pasting the same staff at almost all posts:p
  12. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Well I disagree they did a lot of things the community wanted and backfired badly.

"I can't raid Its too hard"

Don't worry we'll nerf it

"I don't have time to find a group"

Don't worry we'll do the heavy lifting for you. LFM and LFR we just que you in no more trade spam

"Trying to get gear is too time consuming and hard"

Don't worry we'll get you multiple ways to get gear instead of raiding you can buy gear with tokens.

etc etc

Now you do easy Heroics, go to easy LFR get geared in what is pretty much a slightly scaled down raid gear with tier gear in all and people are bored with wow but when you keep pushing the LCD upwards to a put where you can be fully geared with the minimalist effort, to the point of not trying at all, and get raid gear then expect to actually play the game well its no wonder the subs been falling. The Players did it to themselves by removing the mystique of the unknown and sense of accomplishment.

The whole 1% only seeing prebc naxx but everyone saying it was the best raid ever rings true. Not that it is true but it is an illusion of the unknown the knowledge that is a challenge to get there.

Blizzard constantly listens to the cries of the player base and panders too much and as the old saying goes you try to please everyone you please no one.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  13. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

The community didn't want that, well not as a whole anyways, and blizzard could have ignored them like they do with just about everything else. Instead, the implemented LFR because they thought it would attract the casuals, and maybe it did, but they didn't foresee the mass exodus it caused. The casuals came sure, but they beat the game in a month, and then left.
    Alverad likes this.
  14. Dirty Outlaw

The thing is the majority of the community is silent and the minority is vocal if they kept the records you can search it on the forums people complain on everything I said in the previous posts.
    Casuals were always here, its not like they didn't exist in vanilla and magically appeared in cata.
  15. FairyTailisBack

Except in Vanilla they were taught by the game, and the players to become raiders. In cataclysm they were handed a loot pinata.

Even blizzard refuses to call that atrocity raiding. But they are afraid of getting rid of it in fear of losing the customers they attracted with it.
  16. Dirty Outlaw

Well many didn't become raiders hence the 1%.

I'm not saying blizzard went in the right direction but I wouldn't say everything they did was for a quick cash grab either.
  17. FairyTailisBack

As far as I know that was like the 1% who beat C'thun. That guy was a <REDACTED> to beat.

There were a lot more raiders than that.
    Besides what did Carbine say, like 2/3 of MMO players play mostly solo or small group anyways?
  18. Dirty Outlaw

Yeah but still its not like it was the majority anyway. People complained and yes people were glad to see 40 mans go the way of the dodo when tbc came out. Sure some people didn't like that but many did its really not cut and dry as people like to say it is. Players complained about the things in wow early once after the honeymoon period of game play was over. And some was really legitimate like the old pvp system (though the new system isn't much better).

Now for the on what Carbine said

As mmo become more mainstream the audience changes there will be more types of players as any game gets more popular.

In vanilla I played solo and pugged whenever I needed a group till I joined a guild even then I mostly played solo unless a group is needed, on another hand a friend of mine only played with a group would never play solo for anything even grinding just didn't want to. Two different approaches mine was a lot harder than his.

as anything becomes more popular different ways of doing thing shows up you limit yourself if you only want one type of player and praise that type and punish every other type.

Now you could go that way an its perfectly fine, I actually like companies who have the balls to do that. It can work for an independent company for a small to medium game.

Blizzard makes AAA games, large base game which has to go the shotgun approach and hit multiple targets it would be foolhardy to make a specific game and spend the money blizzard does.

Blizzard is a business first off, they are in to make money, novel concept, they do it by providing entertainment via games. Their goal is to provide entertainment to largest amount of players to their target demographic. Its one of the reasons the term morally bankrupt makes no sense in this context. What morality is there need to be. They don't cheat the player, their games are not p2w (I haven't seen anything in hearthstone to be consider p2w though its fair to be concerned), they try to make their player base happy (granted its not their best attempts).

Blizzard looked at their playerbase and noticed these things that a large amount of players didn't see the raids they made, some complained about pvp, finding groups, etc etc and blizzard sought to fix it. I clearly remember the day after LFG was released players were asking if they were ever gonna implement a LFG for raids and blizzard said not at this time but they may consider and sure enough they eventually did after they saw how LFG worked out.

Contrary to what I am saying I am not a blizzard fanboy. D3 made wonder what was wrong was D2 system, SC2 was the same thing as SC1 essentially.

Wow oddly enough has gained some complexity, bosses are more complex and difficult than before but with the game set up now you can easily out gear and power through bosses that would be rather guildbreaking if they were in the vanilla tbc times. But outside of this they have made it far more simple in other regards of convenience for the players.

Which comes for that favorite world that gets thrown in wow forums entitlement. wow has gone past the point of no return even if you could take away the conveniences I doubt the playerbase would adapt to it. You can't keep raising the LCD bar and expect players to go beyond that and it goes to what I said the players did it to themselves. Instead of complaining and going to the forums and tattle-tell to blizzard about whatever their complaints were they should of spoke with their wallets and left.

Hopefully the sub loss would do something but its gonna bounce back up when the expansion hits so I don't even see the point of doing any salvaging.

Carbine is gonna get as many players into their game as possible and trying to adapt to every play style around and even focus on the more popular ones more. It is not surprising in the least.

I could continue on and on but looking at this I should make a tldr
    (honestly I should just look this essay of a post over in the morning and cut a lot of my ramblings out but screw it)

TLDR
    They are different types of players and AAA games attempts to hit as many as they can.
    Blizz is a business and making money is #1 goal.
    Players complain blizzard and as a business attempts to make sure everyone is happy, doesn't always works out.
    I don't like a lot the decisions they made and direction they're going in but doubt they could change course anyway.
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  19. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

A CCG makes you buy cards?

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!??!?! OMG

Dude, you don't get the premise of a CCG, do you? Have you ever played Yu-Gi-Oh! without cards? No? How do you get cards? By buying them!

The game's even nice enough to give you cards for free.

The D3 auction house will be removed, by the way.

...But I have to agree on WoW. A p2p game with an itemshop? Seriously? That's just ridiculous.
  20. FairyTailisBack

No, Yugioh is for little kids, but I have played MTG off and on for over a decade now.

Did you know that Hearthstone's digital cards are 50% more expensive than the Magic the Gathering physical cards? Digital cards! No printing, no boxing, no distribution, no cut to the retail outlet, just pure profit.

I am not saying they are evil, but they aren't any different than any other corporation anymore.
    The only thing they care about now is $$.