1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Blizzard's Titan delayed till 2016

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Kethrym, May 28, 2013.

1. Kethrym

Kethrym Well-Known Cupcake

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/28/b...mo-until-2016-resets-whole-project-exclusive/

"Blizzard Entertainment makes a mint from its World of Warcraft franchise, and the gaming giant has had an unannounced massively multiplayer online (MMO) role-playing game in the works for some time. But GamesBeat has learned that Blizzard has decided to push the reset button, according to a source familiar with the matter.
    The team of 100 developers working on the MMO, codenamed “Titan,” has been reduced by 70 positions, and Blizzard is reassigning those people to other work. Meanwhile, the core of the team will start over on Titan. The title is now not expected to be published until 2016 at the earliest."

This is pretty good news for Wildstar. If they do deliver, that's a lot of time to be a major player in the MMO scene.
  2. Zeebo

Zeebo Cupcake

I'd say it has more to do with them need more people to work on WoW with them expecting a bigger drop in subs by the end of the year, but what do I know I'm an alcoholic.
    SilentJ and Kethrym like this.
  3. Kethrym

Kethrym Well-Known Cupcake

So they'll add more stuff, like exploration and lore achievements, tease at thinking about player housing, and crash another ship into the world and make it a sci-fi zone. Oh and timer limited world objects.
  4. Zeebo

Zeebo Cupcake

And the gnomes still won't have a home :(
  5. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

I'd imagine that they are being very careful when they launch, and if you wait too long I'd imagine your game would need an overhaul or it would end up launching dated, and lacking innovation. The market has changed a lot with its focus on limited actions sets, features, and the like.

I think EQ next is in the same boat.
    Calsic, Kethrym and Homeslice like this.
  6. Homeslice

Homeslice Cupcake

Yeah I am thinking that they want to change the style of the game which is why they are scrapping it. Probably keeping the same lore but going with a new type.

That I am not sure about. I am looking forward to it actually but I think they are really just starting to work in it since they have kept everything so secretive about it.
    Kethrym likes this.
  7. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

I was referring to the fact that they have restarted it 2-3 times now.
  8. Homeslice

Homeslice Cupcake

Ahhh got you. I was thinking of it as it is now. But lots of games get the do over though some don't come back from it.
  9. HooliganBFLO

HooliganBFLO New Cupcake

They've scrapped the first person shooter MMO they have been working on to create a first person pet battle MMO. ;)
    Apostate and Kethrym like this.
  10. Synektra

Synektra New Cupcake

Riding Unicorns somewhere in Lancashire, England.
    It is sad to say as personally i love the company, but from the outside looking in Blizzard are in something of a mess, and thats not something i have ever felt compelled to say.

Diablo and Warcraft are in trouble, with Starcraft not exactly breaking down the E-sport barriers as they hoped.

They need to think very carefully about the direction they head in next.
  11. Einzo

Einzo Cupcake

[​IMG]
  12. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

They probably realized the new MMOs to be released are already superior to their Titan project that they have been working on since forever. :D
  13. F8L Fool

F8L Fool Cupcake-About-Town

A major problem with long development cycles is your "new ideas" become stale the moment you see them crop up in other games. I also assume that they are now taking alternative payment models into consideration, which really impacts the entire design of a game. If you were to turn WoW into a F2P model for example thousands of things would have to be drastically overhauled to account for the changes.

If I had to bet on what the reason is for this recent delay, it would be due to a drastic shift in the viability of a subscription model MMO. They most likely have projections for how sustainable it will be in the future and it just doesn't hold water. Obviously they want to make a new game that ideally surpasses World of Warcraft in terms of popularity and income, or at the very least matches it. With subscription only games fading and F2P/Micro-transaction/hybrid games on the rise, they clearly need to shift gears or be left in the dust.

I highly doubt it is a technical issue as they claim. The second most likely cause is what other people suggested: they need more resources on WoW to maintain their dominance in the market.
    SilentJ likes this.
  14. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]

In all fairness I would pay to play something like this.
  15. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Pet battles as a multi mmo mini game feature could be funny. I would play other Blizzard games, if I could access more pets that way for my collection. Imagine getting pets in one game, that I can pull out in another - though they would have to have a pet model for each game per pet.
  16. Relapse

Relapse Cupcake

Titan: Forever featuring Duke Nukem

On a more serious note though it wouldn't be crazy to assume they looked at how fast Defiance died and got scared off from the entire genre.
  17. SilentJ

SilentJ Cupcake

I think the way Blizz is playing this is rather bizarre. They're restarting the project AND removing 30% of the team. I'd assume they're going to the WoW team. You'd think they'd focus on the next big thing instead of trying to stem the bleeding in WoW. MoP was a step in the right direction in alot of ways, but they're still shedding subs faster than ever. I believe it's because alot of people that were brought into the mmo fold by WoW are getting burned out. Alot of those people (myself included), played mostly single player games, and couldn't really imagine playing a game for close to a decade.
  18. Vembumees

Vembumees Cupcake-About-Town

It wasn't just delayed, it was reset. The game wasn't good enough. It isn't the first project scrapped like this.
  19. Shoogli

Shoogli Cupcake-About-Town

Sorry if i'm a bit off topic here but it reminds me when they scrapped SC-Ghost which looked very promising. Was a sad panda that day... I'm not sure I remember well but I think it was licensed to another studio...

When we first heard of the code-name Titan I was "secretely" (hahem...) hoping they were making something in the lines of "World of Starcraft" (so to speak) or that it would be based on SC-Ghost since people were saying it was rumored to be an MMO-shooter...

More recently I read somewhere that it would be based on Earth and with several settings like ancient greece and stuff like that, don't know what to think...
  20. SilentJ

SilentJ Cupcake

I sometimes question Blizz' definition of "not good enough", at least one of the scrapped D3 builds looked better than what was released lol
    Apostate likes this.