1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Blizzard's Titan delayed till 2016

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Kethrym, May 28, 2013.

1. dizko

dizko Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think so Tim.

Blizzard, like a lot of developers with cash reserves, take their good ol' time with games. I mean, it was over 10 years before they released StarCraft II. I think whatever grand vision Blizzard has for Titan, it must not be living up to that vision. They're not scared to push titles as far as they want and they've outright canceled titles that didn't live up to expectations (see SC:Ghost).
  2. Rai

Rai Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not sure WildStar would classify as a 'revolutionary next-gen' MMO, more one that takes all the good bits from looking to past mistakes/wins and making them more fun and accessible. I'd say they are doing a damn good job at that tho!

Comparing WS's look & feel to WoW is a bit of an insult if you ask me, sure they use 'cartoony' graphics -with good (technical/futureproof) reasons, but as opposed to WoW this actually feels like art, any screenshot so far can be used as a wallpaper. I can't say the same for the former. :whistling:
  3. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

the new generation of mmos that came out this 12 months,plus the ones that will come in the near future(including WS) killed Titan.Blizzard probably thought that the game will look dated in comparison to these ones,so they scraped it.(very wise decision imo).They are going to wait until all these big mmos come out (there are a few AAA titles coming in the next 12 months),see how those games are perceived by the public,and build on that.
  4. Drapetomania

Drapetomania Cupcake

... How did you end up concluding any of this?
    SilentJ and F8L Fool like this.
  5. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

It is not unheard off for blizzard to cancel/delay/start over their titles, look at Diablo 3, they completely revamped the game
    [​IMG]
    the game looked like this
    Than they devided to start over from scratch, that's why it took so long to come out.
    Also remember Star Craft Ghost?
    F8L Fool likes this.
  6. Narrack

Narrack Cupcake

I doubt Wildstar killed Titan, It much more plausible that collectively changes in the mmo market since the inception of Titan have caused them to go back to the drawing board.

Almost everything anyone outside of Blizzard knew about Titan was just rumor and conjecture, Nor was the game even announced, We don't know if they have been working full time on it or if they have just been prototyping different game types /systems to see what feels good (they have the cash to burn).

And about the art style, They share art style because its the best way to make a game look good for a long time and keep the min system requirements to anything from the last 5 years.
  7. F8L Fool

F8L Fool Cupcake-About-Town

I agree that there is no proof whatsoever, although I highly doubt that Wildstar is heavily influencing their development cycle at all.

Not to knock Carbine Studios or anything, because I love what they are doing and I've been a fan of Gaffney for a while, but they are a brand new studio making their first game as a team. Do you really think Blizzard feels the least bit threatened by that? Most likely it is the entirety of the MMO market that has them rethinking their approach, not just one game in particular.

But ya, even thinking that might be the case is seriously overreaching. I can already foresee a lot of people complaining about it lol.
  8. kiri

kiri Cupcake-About-Town

Wildstar is hardly revolutionary or next-gen, not even close. I don't mean that in a negative way.

I doubt WS is more than a blip on Blizzard's radar, though I'm sure they're keeping a close eye on which games succeed in the future.

I suspect that Titan was founded on a model they realize might not be working out so well - ultra accessibility, social media tie ins, etc. (who knows how accurate the leaks were, but supposedly you could play it on facebook...)

After Diablo 3, and with spiraling WoW subs, I think it is wise for them to step back and re-evaluate which elements made their older games so amazing.

It's not like rebooting a project is a new thing for Blizzard anyway.
    Naunet and dizko like this.
  9. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Titan is supposed to be an MMOFPS, which are always garbage and Blizzard realized that and canned it.
  10. dizko

dizko Cupcake-About-Town

I see this sentiment mirrored quite a bit in the WS community. I don't quite understand it to be honest. I think if you scrutinize both games, you can see why someone would draw the comparison between WoW and Wildstar. Obviously there are differences, but there are quite a lot of similarities too. Stylistically they are very similar but that doesn't equate to quality. WoW was built on technology engineered in the 90s while WS has the benefit of being built by a more modern standard.
  11. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

W* may actually be very similar to what Titan supposed to be. Titan as rumoured supposed to be on "earth" but let us travel in time which just gives us a mix of toys to play with. It is not unlike W* which can imagine almost everything, as it is played on kind of a treasure planet where everything is possible. W* could send us back and forth in time as well.
    At the same time Blizzard didn't want Titan to compete with WoW so they must have made it different somehow. On the other hand W* can be a perfect marriage of Titan and WoW which could make it much more popular than either WoW or Titan alone is/could be. So Blizzard's decision to make one game not to compete with another may just backfire and let W* win this round.
    Edit: As blizzard is a huge company Titan may still win as an e-sport, but only until the time W* grows in subscribers and Carbine have their own money to put in to adequate balancing (especially that W* classes may be easier to balance than WoW ones).
  12. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

WildStar looks like it will be a lovely game. I hope it will be successful, and I think there's a good chance of it. I suspect it will end up being a much better fit for my tastes than many recently-released games.

But come on, now. WildStar hasn't even been released yet. Sure, it has some buzz. So did SWTOR. So did GW2. Titan wasn't cancelled for either of those, not before release and not after. I don't think even a concept similarity would trouble them much. Blizzard excels at taking things other people have tried first and executing them better, and players haven't been bothered by similar-seeming fantasy worlds in the past. If they were, we wouldn't have a hundred variations on elves and dwarves in various games.

I don't think any one game could affect Titan that much. I think it's a lot more likely that some things about Titan weren't working period, the engine was starting to seem dated, and some of Blizzard's ideas about its model needing to change due to the increased popularity of F2P games and/or the poor reaction to the auction house in Diablo 3.
    SilentJ likes this.
  13. Daynejah

Daynejah Cupcake

So I think you are both over and under estimating Wildstar. First-I think you're silly to think that Blizzard doesn't have it eyes on all mmos coming and going-especially one where a lot of their former devs are currently working. I also think that up until recently (and maybe still to the bro-gamer) Wildstar was kind of under the radar and therefore would not be the ONLY reason Blizzard is pushing Titan back.We have TESO and Destiny (it claims it isn't an mmo but I think it's close enough) and Wildstar and whatever else coming-I'm sure these all have had influences on Titan being pushed back.

My personal opinion (and maybe OP you should listen to more podcasts or read more articles...) that has been mirrored a lot of other places is that it has more to do with Titan changing it's payment model-or looking further into it. This in turn would push back development as a lot of people feel in order to do free-to-play correctly it has to be in mind the entire time the game is being made. So this pushing Titan out further then became a domino effect of "oh if it's coming out then maybe we should update the graphics" or "if we're waiting this long we should go ahead and do this other neat thing"
  14. Gronky

I think that, if Blizzard has tried to reveal Titan now, it would be comparable to XBox One recent reveal :roflamo:
  15. Rylia

Rylia Cupcake

I sincerely hope that was a factor.
  16. Gronky

It could not be engine. Blizzard do not release dated engines much. They always concentrate on art style. I rather think that the decision to not to look like WoW hindered them and now W* is going out which may kill their WoW player base slowly and their won't have a product which can fight it as Titan will not compete with either WoW nor W* which is "similar" of some sort. But well it is all speculation. I would like Titan to be different than both games and to be super fun. More games this way to play.
  17. Daynejah

Daynejah Cupcake

Haha ouch-but it made me laugh. I like your style.
  18. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

19. Gronky

Blizzard should just redo their WoW engine completely to look similar to W*. Changed fight mechanics and everything. Well, they could just redo WoW in their existing Titan engine which may be much better and be done with it. They are not good in innovations. They are great copy cats. Problem is that the best MMO currently is their own which they don't want to copy. Fools, just revolutionize (by copying from different games) WoW's engine and improve graphic, give it free to players and forget that Titan has ever existed :p

To be honest I think that only W* looks superior to WoW in any way. But they may have friends in W* (who knows) who told them that W* is solid and they just chickened out.

It's a joke, right. They don't have a problem with employing new people. They wouldn't reduce number of developers for new "important" project like that. They just realized that their game won't be as revolutionary as they though and that both titan and WoW may be actually in danger from likes of W* :)

Hey, maybe they just want to include Oculus Rift support! Such a forward thinking company. Well done Blizzard :notworthy:
  20. EpicBubble

EpicBubble Cupcake

I just wish they would make Warcraft 4 then follow that up with WoW 2