1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Blizzcon

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Eversannik, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Eversannik

Eversannik New Cupcake

So with Blizzcon coming up, anyone have any predictions of what information might be coming out of Camp WoW? I havent played WoW in about 2 years but since its still a very large franchise whom will be a big competitor to Wildstar, im interested in what they might reveal. I`m curious to how far Wildstar is on Blizzards radar and if they are planning to implement features to compete with features Wildstar is releaseing with (ie housing; warplots; etc). Now im well aware this is a volatile subject and dont want a flame fest, so please dont rage on this thread. I`m in no way calling Wildstar a WoW killer or anything of that sort. I personally think there is room on the top for multiple MMOs to be successful.

Anyone maybe even going to Blizzcon?
  2. Katherine

Katherine Cupcake-About-Town

Got a few friends watching blizzcon, and I wouldn't put it past WoW to take some of Wildstar's mechanics. They do it every expansion with other MMOs. They already have a fair amount of 'telegraphs' in MoP that you have to move out of even on trash mobs, I expect to see more :p

I doubt they would do housing (but they could, I suppose). Not sure what else they could take from WS tbh ^^.
  3. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

Well, the "leaks" are that the next expac is called "Warlords of Draenor." So chances are we're going to see a revamping of Outlands. Some people are claiming they know someone who knows someone who talked to someone at the Versailles Blizzard office and there's going to be a lot of delving into the deep past of Draenor and how it got to the point where it broke apart. So this means probably some Old God action, quite a bit of the Burning Legion. This is probably a lead up to the expac after this next one where the Burning Legion invades Azeroth. Anyways, really the only thing we can be remotely sure of at this point in time is the name of the expac. Everything else is speculation.

As for features, it looks like Blizz is implementing a way to equalize your level lower to go and do old content with friends, or to join your friends who are leveling a new toon. Also, there's some speculation that transmogging is getting a revamp so that we won't need to hold on to the physical item any more; we'll be able to select from a dropdown list of items we can make our armor look like. Both of these examples is believed to be similar to what Carbine is implementing for WildStar and also the direction many MMO's have been going.

I doubt we see housing in WoW. Unless Wildstar, and its housing, becomes super popular.
  4. Katherine

Katherine Cupcake-About-Town

WoW could do dyes, I suppose, with the revamp of the transmog system. Its not a big leap to think it.
  5. Quietus

Quietus Cupcake

Housing in WoW? There used to be a blocked off portal in Stormwind if I remember correctly. According to rumor it was supposed to have something to do with player housing that never made it in for release. Later on the portal was removed when Stormwind was revamped in Cataclysm. Blizzard used to have plans for player housing but apparently scrapped them. Doesn't mean they'll stay scrapped though.
  6. Eversannik

Eversannik New Cupcake

If i remember correctly there was a leaked Blizzard release timeline that has been like spot on since it was leaked. It showed the last expansion for WoW to be #5. So it be interesting to see if this indeed is tha last big expansion pack they do. How long can they keep the machine alive? lol
  7. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

That's the only somewhat interesting news. Rob Pardo has been back to WoW since start of MoP, no clue where Jeffrey "Tigole" Kaplan is atm. Wonder what the "old guys" can make of WoW.
  8. Roadblock

Roadblock Cupcake-About-Town

They will steal and adapt anything from upcoming games that seems to be creating a buzz.
    They always do that to steal the wind from other companies sales (even if it's sometime "announced" features that never make it to live or make it in a very watered down version, the damage is already done)

The only stuff they would have trouble stealing would be features tied to a new generation engine "we can't do that due to limitations of our engine, would require a WoW II" kind of deal.
    For example EQN's voxel engine and fully destructible environments are probably "safe" from WoW except as a very poor imitation, any game that would have true z-axis combat would probably be safe, etc etc.

Anything and everything that creates a buzz and can be implemented within the limitations of WoW's engine is fair game.
    Cosmetics, quest system ideas, rallying / championing, combat system elements, telegraphs, loot system, open tagging etc etc.
    ruff_ethereal and Katherine like this.
  9. Roadblock

Aaannd... as expected. They're stealing "everything" that's made the news from other games.
    Garrison = wow's version of housing, you'll have a laundry list of features they took from other games until this is over.
    You can put different plots(buildings), upgrade it over tiers, place it in the actual world, mount trophies from kills (sounds familiar?)

Heh, when Blizzard pulls a fast one I'm always wondering how studios feel having their coolest concepts put through the meatgrinder?
    Are they somehow flattered? (they stole 10 things from us and only 5 from EQN) Or are they depressed?
    Rumze likes this.
  10. Infamouz

One thing I would like to know; Are you able to orient items within your housing in three dimensional space as you wish? Will you be able to control the orientation and placement of the items, or are they only sockets?

It's quite off a difference of being able to decide that this space A can accept items BCDEFG or That you can take item B, increase it's size by 37%, evelvate it 2.214 yards from the ground, rotate it 13 degrees around it's origin and then tilt it 37 degrees on it's Z vs X / Y axis.
  11. Roadblock

It won't matter much, they're - as usual - putting their own 'spin' on the feature.
    WoW being a subscription game they need to keep people paying month in month out, even during content droughts.

Guess what they did with Garrisons... you get a mini game with followers you can gather from around the world and put in your garrison and these can level up, go on missions, get gear etc while you are off-line.
    Just one more reason to keep that sub running even if you're not logging in much.
  12. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

I haven't played WoW since mid Cata, and are not exactly a Blizz fan lately, however, stealing - not sure about that. WoW players have been asking for some form of housing for ages. They chose to ignore those requests until now, and while I am somehow sure, seeing the response to Rift/WS housing was a factor, housing is not a new concept.

Either way, the setting of the new xpac pokes around mah heart - and probably will for anyone that feels maddening nostalgia for BC. At least they were clever enough to realize that ;)

4 raid levels within a tier still sounds ridiculous but normal flex is appealing. Wish it was just normal flex and roics. But hey, Blizz seems to need years to catch up with what's good, so maybe in a couple of xpacs or WoW 2 they will finally realize that you really don't need 4 separate ilevels in a tier to satisfy a broad spectrum of players and that there are other ways of securing casual player content.

Here is to Wildstar, hoping it will set the trends straight by simply being massively successful.

I have to admit though, the prospect of riding around Shadowmoon Valley again with something meaningful to do is tempting. But then, who can resist a pink hoverboard! Gladly, being old has it's perks, one of them being able to afford multiple subs for the whole family ;)
  13. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Yes but I fear they'll F* up that nostalgia :D

Also I got great fears with the instant lvl90...if not done correctly you'll just end up with A LOT of high level noobs that don't know a <REDACTED> about their class...even less then some do now.
    Don't forget it won't look as it did in BC, you might not like the area anymore :p
    Alverad likes this.
  14. Roadblock

About the raid difficulty changes, what they actually did was just some verbal acrobatics to workaround removing Flex as it will now be a feature of every raid difficulty but the highest.

So what you had in MoP was: (lowest > highest difficulty)
    1. LFR (25) 2. Flex (10 to 25) 3. Normal (10/25) 4. Heroic (10/25)
    Then in WoD it becomes:
    1. LFR(10 to 25) 2. Normal (10 to 25) 3. Heroic (10 to 25) 4. Mythic (20)

Everything but #4 will be Flexible.
    LFR auto-matchmaking will try to fill the max number (25) but at some queue time cutoff point it will go with how ever many it can down to 10 and scale things in the instance accordingly.

Meaning:
    - what we now know as Flex is renamed to Normal (normal next expac = around Flex difficulty in this one)
    - what we now know as Normal is renamed to Heroic (heroic next expac = around Normal difficulty now)
    - what we now know as Heroic is getting renamed to Mythic (mythic next expac = Heroic difficulty now)
    Livnthedream likes this.
  15. Alverad

Sadly you are probably right.

As for instant level 90, it's a half arsed solution to a massive issue that is leveling in WoW. But frankly, leveling, as it is now, teaches you nothing if you don't care to explore - you can level from 1-cap with just bloody autoshot - so don't think the boost will make any difference lol.

I do! Just saw some screenies! It's still SMV, with more trees, big trees.... :p

I don't see myself raiding in WoW again, way too excited for some properly challenging raids in Wildstar, but as ashamed as I am to admit it, I will throw my money at them and buy the xpac - I am weak....
  16. Alverad

Two too many ;p Even more convoluted, heh....go Wildstar:p

Seems to me it's a cheap trick to make the general public feel better - I'm doing roics! Will result in an ego boost simply because of the term, such is the case with Mythic as well. And sadly, it will probably work too lol.
    Extatica likes this.
  17. Infamouz

So far Garrisons looks like glorified Sunsong Ranch to me tbf.
  18. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Aye....I wish to have seen more steps into making it better...not only changing the perception of things. Ofcourse that perception is something important aswell...but if the game still fails at certain aspect then it doesn't matter.
    Alverad likes this.
  19. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I'm not sure how well it will work, they did the same thing with 5-mans I don't think too many people got pumped with that, and even raids I think people are just burned on all the versions.

I think blizzard is just done with the idea and has been done since Cata, they know that this stuff further deteriorates the game, but there is no turning back, there is no try and change perception, so they will continue to just keep feeding this stuff until they can't do it anymore.
  20. Alverad

You do have a point.
    Still sad to see a game so many people have great memories of being continuously dumbed down like that.