1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Blizzcon

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Eversannik, Nov 8, 2013.

1. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

So looking over it all.

Garrison, are like MoP farms but more extended. If not instanced they will be phased per player what is essentially the samething minus a loading screen in the difference.

New difficulty mode.
    First of let me say that it won't be harder than heroic it will be the old heroic difficulty.
    As Flex now turns into normal, normal now turns into heroic and heroic now turns into mythic.
    No chance they are upping the difficulty higher than heroic seeing how few people progress now and their internal bickering about "exclusive content is bad mkay".

Also this creates a cluster<REDACTED> for all guilds in raiding.
    10 mans need to expand again something they didn't have to do from cataclysm. 25 mans need to remove their current bench (using the guild standard value of maintaining a 20% bench of your raid force) And make members that used to be in more frequent be benched more often. Having led raid groups yes that is not a headache but a migraine incoming for any raid leader and guild leader.

Don't want to be in your position to suddenly tell 5 people they can't raid with you anymore or even more as i know some have 35 on the roster for a 25 man guild.

Character models alright they look good, but really with blizzard resources saying they can't do all on time is sorry a piss poor excuse. Use more of your funds perhaps to fund your main game instead of silly side projects?
    (the we don't have enough resources is something i didn't buy from wotlk onwards and i'm sure as hell not going to buy it now with their net revenue)

Story, even though i like the whole older lore thing. It's still time travel and it feels a bit meh to a point.
    Also how can we fight "older evils" and defeat them and not have an effect currently, if we defeat them the time line gets broken and they just start again, so our actions have no effects?

It's for me a hard sell logically, but i guess they needed to do something with outlands to get more player interested again.

Also the fresh level 90 boost. A mistake, people are clueless enough at high level this will only make it worse unless the 90 to 100 level path is hard (what it won't be) i fear for the remaining difficulty in 5 mans if any (skipped MoP at the start and so when i did it there wasn't any challenge at all compared to cataclysm).

All in all it's going to be more of the same and if they are stretching out content what they probably will they are going to force people to raid Normal > Heroic > Mythic. 3 times the same content. Really can't see how that is interesting. Normal used to offer some exploration challenges (what are gone thanks to dungeon journal telling you what the fight will be like before even doing it)

On the fence if i would buy it or not, depends purely if Wildstar is out by than or not, if it isn't i probably will to check things out, if it is i might buy it when it's off sale a year after release.
    Blue Tunic Man and Alverad like this.
  2. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Hmm, I don't mind silly, convoluted time travel stories - they are fun, but not if the first thing that comes out of your (Blizz's) mouth makes one question the whole concept and the sanity of people behind the story lol.

Also, you'd think you'd let the lore folks address the lore questions as quite obviously noone else on the team understands what the heck is really happening.

Garosh goes back in time, they said it, then go on to claim there is no time travel in the xpac. We're going back to Dreaneor, or some instance of it, yet can keep Outlands intact. Or is Dreanor coming to us?

If Garosh goes back and alters the events, creating another instance/timeline/parallel universe supposedly not affecting us at all, then how come the Dark Portal, which in theory should not even be there now, turns red and spits out more orcs?

Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey

It seems someone run out of ideas on where to take the WoW lore next :( So much money, so little effort.
  3. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

I find it hard to get excited about anything with a Blizzard tag on it, they haven't released anything decent in the past 5 years if not more.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well TBH I think Hearthstone is a nice game, and one of the better games that I will be able to play on my tablet/phone :D

Don't get me wrong I won't play WoW anymore (I stopped playing after our guild killed the LK on HC).
    But I do get the impression that people only see the ''bad sides'' of their games. In terms of WoW I would like to add that it is really, REALLY hard to keep a game ''alive'' for so many years!

Blizzard has done a lot of great things in the past, but because they have trouble keeping it up with games like WoW (10 years and counting?), and Diablo (which is running for a long time aswell) people start saying that Blizzard will fail with everything.

True the last 5 years they have had a lot of trouble, but then again so have A LOT of other companies. I feel that people expect more from Blizzard then from some other companies, and that's also the reason why some would almost always percieve their games as ''bad''.
  5. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

I think it's because Blizzard has the reputation of making stellar games and now that some games isn't up to the overly high standards the players expect its now all of a sudden bad even when its not.

blizzard is like the pixar of video games to people so when they make a cars and a cars 2 people talk about it like its news.

Mop isn't a bad xpac at all overall its a hell of a lot better than cata and outside of the lore (which wasn't as interesting but come on with the premise it felt like a filler season than anything else) it really had great raid content and great leveling. The new bgs are great and different, unlike cata rehashes of wsg and AB. What the main complaints people have are usually nothing the content has but rather directorial changes the company does.

But people don't notice at the positive and goes for only the negative aspects and say its bad and often praises older content, which some isn't as good as it makes out.
    Hephen likes this.
  6. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

The xpac will be fun to explore old Draenor and maybe check out a few dungeons and raids. After that, quit the game. Your money's worth is about a week or two (maybe even less) of content before the game is stale again.
  7. Blue Tunic Man

Blue Tunic Man Cupcake-About-Town

To be fair Diablo at release screwed up a princple rule that made hack n' slash fun. In fact, the damage was pretty much done even after it was fixed.

Nerfed loot drops. Vases dropped next to nothing, monsters dropped next to nothing but poor quality pants, weapons racks did drop poor quality weapons, loot Goblins were often disappointments, and gold was a bit lean. While I can't prove it, it was probably because of the RMAH that came with it that later was taken down.

It might've just been me, but other games like Torchlight II was much more loot-filled and covered you in so much gold and loot just flew out of chests. Orange quality, which was the rarest quality loot in TL II, cropped up rarely but it cropped up enough.

Diablo III I didn't get one extremely rare item for at least three acts. It was bonkers. Now I'm not some ARPG aficionado and piss poor loot drops might've been a Diablo thing but people were pretty peeved about that and Deckard Caine dying to a swarm of butterflies. Reading the Diablo forums was my favorite past time with people asking for the person in charge's blood (Name escapes me. The "Shut up PvP guy" guy.)

So it wasn't the fact that it was running for a long time that made it balls, it was the fact that they screwed up the basics principles of ARPGs and even having enough balls laying around to ask for 60$ and always online when TL II was asking for 25$.
  8. Catdurid

Catdurid Cupcake

I have to hand it to Blizz on the new WoW x-pac. This just seems like a smart move.

The game is just so old now, that they can't really beat upcoming new mmos in terms of new game play or gaming experience. What they do have is years worth of rich lore, and they are playing that card.

Honestly its probably going to keep people playing. Just to be apart and experience the old epic lore with friends. Even if the time travel stuff is kinda wishy washy.

Games like Wildstar will have better game play, but in terms of lore it doesn't have a whole lot going for it. Mainly because its a new game, and the players will have to discover it. Its just tough to sell boxes or keep players. When a player doesn't know anything about the end game bosses or doesn't care before launch.

WoW is bringing back those characters people know from the RTS games. Just like with the Lich King, its going to create some strong emotions to defeat these big lore characters. Players want to fight bosses they care about.

Other than the lore there isn't much else going on though. Although I would like to hear how the new pvp zone turns out. I think they mentioned it was a never ending battle zone, and you can blow up enemy keeps.

And its about damn time the races are getting new models. 9 years for the WoW art team to finally get off their ass.
  9. Vulture051

Vulture051 New Cupcake

Call me Ms. Negative but *sigh* I think Wildstar/EQN is doomed.
    Blizzard will manage to retain/regain enough sheeple with this to starve its superior competitors just like they've done the past 2 (and arguably 3) expansions. The halfway F2P nature of Wildstar is not going to be enough.
    I don't hate WoW, it got to where it is for a reason, but god f***ing damn do I utterly loathe the people that continue to play it. Let. It. Die.
    Deadmeat likes this.
  10. Alverad

Lol, harsh....the playerbase is growing every year, there is plenty of people to sustain multiple mmos, good and bad. There is no reason one should affect another if both are solid quality games. I don't play WoW, I still read about it, guess in a way still hope they will come up with an awesome xpac that I could poke around at.

We don't know how WS will turn out, but we know the game has a unique character, unlike many competitors out there, and that, in my humble opinion, can be it's strongest point. Mechanics can be changed, removed, added, but if you fail to create an immersive world in an mmo from the start, you chances of success are slim. WS has done that already, from artstyle, through unique characters to great humour.

Wow's future success or failure is rather insignificant - if it fails, well, we'll have a lot more orphaned players; if it doesn't, it will continue to spark interest in the genre in general - and that is a great thing - keeping competition on it's toes can only be a massive benefit to players - the higher the bar, the better the entertainment across the board.

WoW does not have warplots, no proper housing, no large scale raids anymore - there is enough uniqueness in WS to retain a lot of players - similarly, ESO, if done right, having a massively PVP focused end game, will offer something the other games won't be able to, nor have the interest to match.
    Hephen likes this.
  11. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

I'm really just surprised they would turn out <REDACTED> in their financial situation. I would of thought they would of made a feature pack expansion to retain new players... *shrug*

Feature set is just a rehashed 10 level landscape with no new races or classes? pretty poor imo.
    At least TBC was all new assets.

Doesn't matter to me because i'm not going to buy it like i didn't buy mop. just don't want to play it.
  12. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

You must be joking? Wildstar is classic themepark model just like every other company is trying to push.
    The only difference just like all the others is that it's try it with a Twist

I'm going to buy if of course, And if you like it you should too!. but for the most part its going to be the same rodeo as before.
  13. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

To add to the controversy surrounding this expansion, the new character models will not come with a free character re-customization option.

If you want to change your appearance after you received your new model you'll need to pay to change your face, hair and such can be changed at the barber.

Can't say i'm surprised.
    Bantheera and Alverad like this.
  14. Alverad

Don't mean to sound rude but reading with comprehension helps, unless I phrased something in a wrong way (not a native English speaker), then I apologize - by unique character I mean ambiance - lore, story, humour, characters. Ofc it's a themepark, it's also an mmorpg, it follows the genre's format - that was it's design choice - it doesn't mean it's not unique in a lot of aspects. Not every fantasy rpg plays as another fantasy rpg - the make or break is the ambience, that unique 'touch' - Skyrim is a <REDACTED> game pre modding on PCs, but it has an incredible atmosphere, an immersive world and despite many issues has a very strong fan base.

WoW is not the first succesful mmo, it's the first mainstream one - it took what was already there and made it appealing to a much wider audience.

There are so many game aspects to a classic themepark mmo nowadays, from solo to group content, from pve through pvp to engaging minigames - that it's an endless pool of possibilities limited only by creativity and/or resources/hardware and not everyone out there wants a sandbox ;)
  15. Roadblock

Roadblock Cupcake-About-Town

sandbox*

(sorry but I can see the typo catching on and then you have a bunch of people arguing over thempark vs sandpark :cautious:)
    Antiabz and Alverad like this.
  16. Alverad

My initial excitement is gone after having read the summery - it seems to follow the lets milk it before it dies route more then anything else with rather half arsed solutions to the problems that are troubling the game:

1. Fixed mythic raiding - great, too late, affecting the majority of their raiders in a negative way.
    2. Cross realm grouping for all but mythic - where the heck is logic in that? A natural progression was normal to heroic, now it's heroic to mythic - but what use is cross realm for heroic if once you're done with it in few weeks you'll need to either quit raiding or go on a recruiting spree locally, given you happen to be on a realm that actually has any raider at all of that level? Tell the friends you've been raiding with to <REDACTED> off, or is it there on purpose to encourage paid transfers?
    3. Limited access to professions beyond the original 2 - sounds great, if only it did not reduce the already suffering community interactions and non existent economy on some realms.
    4. Removing hit/expertise/parry/dodge and reforging - yes, these were to an extend illusion of choices, potentially not a bad idea - but why throw in random tertiary stats on some pieces of gear that by design will not affect progression according to the devs? Why remove reforging? The one awesome way to deal with poor gear optimization?
    5. Gear homoganization - mixed feelings about that
    6. Shaky lore direction
    7. Boost to 90 per purchased copy
    8. Modest amount of 5 mens.

And last, do they really expect 8-12 months of final raid patch going well with players? Have they learned nothing from Cata's DS failure? Granted, current raid is apparently a little better but overall, it's just not cool - stated there will be no more MoP content as they need to devote their resources to the new xpac - a 10 year old sub game with millions of players bringing in millions per month having issues with resources.... we all feel for them.

To many mehs for my liking, and guess the setting can't make up for it alone - you were right Extatica, think they will manage to screw up the nostalgia trip lol.
    Vulture051 likes this.
  17. Alverad

Haha, cheers for that - tis what happens when you type before you think ;)
  18. Xlugon Pyro

Wow. That's just s***ty.
  19. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I also heard that the ''instant level 90'' is only for 1 character??? (don't know for certain though).

But i'm still against instant lvl 90, nonetheless :D

As for their empoyees....some say it has nothing to do with timetraveling others say it's timetraveling....

I hate to see that people don't even know such a thing of a game they are working on....
  20. Xlugon Pyro

LOL yes that's pretty embarrassing.