1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Censorship or Protecting your IP?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by SisterSin, Oct 21, 2013.

1. SisterSin

SisterSin Cupcake

Please watch it is important that we learn the difference between the two.

I don't normally do this but I feel this time its neccicary as people within the creative industry cant just put their fingers in their ears and go lalalalaa
  2. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

I don't understand what your arguing...if its in relation to youtube monetization there is already threads on that.

If its in relation to content rights, then imo all parities should be able to invoke what they are entitled to.
    SisterSin likes this.
  3. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

that whole video was about totalbiscuit putting a unfavorable review and the developers didn't like so they used youtube over protective policies to shut it down

This guy speaks my mind

I don't blame totalbiscuit or the developer I blame bad polices from the middleman.

It had nothing to do with monetization.
  4. SisterSin

SisterSin Cupcake

He gave an unfavorable review they threw a tantrum and removed because of monetization even though there are other videos with monetization reviewing the game. They were not protecting their IP they were just being well brats
  5. Mellkor

I did watch the video... Even though their ethics are questionable they still reserve the rights to their IP.

Thing is, It would be a non issue if the video was not monetized. which brings us back around to the youtube monetization issue.
    FairyTailisBack and SisterSin like this.
  6. Dirty Outlaw

The monetization was the excuse. Pretty much if I was a developer of whatever or head of a company if I watch someone give a review of my product and they even show a picture and do any monetization I could get youtube to close it down and 3 times that person would be banned.

Totalbiscuit has a right to review and comment on a product any well he pleases. as much as the company has every right to not like it.

It all comes down to copyright and how youtube and the like would automatically side with developers even when there is no copyright infringement.

Copyright laws are still too vague and often abused.

Again I don't blame totalbiscuit or the developer they have a right to review and protect their IP

I dislike how the middlemen would side with the developers for everything so they can't get sued (which I can't hate them for that), but if it gets to the point like how the NFL has it with Superbowl and what not, there will be no content for people to enjoy. Like the video I posted, we'll see nothing like cat and dog videos cuz no one can put anything up.
    Mondasin and SisterSin like this.
  7. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

The irony here is that totalbiscuit will ban you if you criticize his videos.
    SisterSin likes this.
  8. Mellkor

The problem is, He doesn't.

By signing a youtube partner agreement you are accepting that the monetized content you produce could be implicated by copyright if the IP holder sees fit.

You go into that line of work accepting those terms. you cant go crying when a company say No, we don't want you to do that, because that was always on the cards.

I really do understand the issue here tho, Companies should not abuse copywright laws in order to manipulate perception. but guess what, there are dodgie companies everywhere that will try all kinds of things to get ahead.

The heart of the issue again is the youtube monetization model. if he were employed by a Magazine company to write articles he would be payed for his work by the employer, the employer would handle the copyright issues.
    Like wise if he was the owner he would have to deal with the actual legality of things not rules imposed by a middleman (youtube).

Youtube is the problem. if you don't like their contract don't sign it.
  9. Dirty Outlaw

I get that which is why I said I blame youtube on this I don't blame tb or the developer on this.

Honestly though it is a bad move on the developer on this not only people know your game sucks you also do shady stuff as well. If I was a watcher of TB's programming not only wouldn't I buy their game I wouldn't buy any product from that developer at all.

He does that too huh, that's hilarious.
  10. Laerune

Laerune New Cupcake

I have to agree with both sides. I can understand that the company wants to protect and ensure sales, so they will protect their product, even if it is <REDACTED>.

Then there is the reviewer who is simply sharing his opinion about the game. He has every right to say whatever he thinks about the game and if he thinks it is a pile of dung, then we should respect his opinion.

In the end of the day, this shows that developers need to be open to criticism and if they want only positive review, then they should do what alot of game companies do and pay him in some way.