1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Character combat.. is the game engine smooth? Hit box issues etc..

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Konoko, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

To me the big thing MMO's were missing for a long time was a more skillful "action based" (sick of this phrase already) combat system. I played Lineage2 for a long time and it was fun for about a week but then.. the combat really started to turn stale. Cast this spell.. move 3 steps back cast this spell move 3 steps back cast this spell.. Loot. It was so repetitive I actually created macros that would do encounters for me.. I could sit back hit a button and watch as my Spell Howler killed a mob. I would sit in my chair drinking a soda LoL.

Then came wow and the combat was a little better but still with auto attack and tab targeting it was very stale and quickly became boring.

So when Tera came out with a non tab targeting system I was really excited. The first few hours of the beta I was blown away at how fun it was to simply down mobs and kill BAM's.

Now Tera definitely had some hit box issues but other than that the combat was done very well.

So I've watched tons of Video's on WildStar's gameplay but I just cannot really get a feel for it.

So the reason for this thread, besides the fact that I'm just dying to get in and play so I'm ranting, is that to me.. the most important thing (or at least the first MAJOR hurdle) for me to stamp this game a success is a combat system without tab targeting that is smooth and devoid of Hit box issues.

I eagerly await my entrance into the beta so that I can really get a taste of the game engine and how it performs. One of the reasons I kept coming back to wow was simply how smooth the engine plays. Other games like Aion had much better gfx but the engine was klunky. Combat mechanics were also buggy.

So here's to the devs at Carbine *raises my company glass filled with mountain dew* make sure the combat is smooth and you will have surpassed the first big hurdle towards making a game that could stand the test of time.

Cheers,
    Koni
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Let's all believe in Carbines Power to do so!
    Konoko likes this.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Don't forget we still have a see the telegraph system in a high level area, who knows how fast/huge those are. Also i expect the combat alot smoother then in those begin area's.

I hope to see a good/steap learning curve where the low level area's are kinda for everyone but the higher you get the more ''skills'' you'll need, this way eleminating any1 who can't dodge out of the end game :p
  4. Konoko

I hope so as well. I WON'T be one of those that get eliminated. I'm faster than a rabbit and smoother than water. (wow I just made that up and it was awful!)

I will have rabbit ears prolly.. I must have purple hair of course. I'm leaning towards a Aurin - Esper (Scientist)
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

OH GOD! We got a Water bunny in our mids!
    [​IMG]
    Well that sure makes a lovely addition to my hunting trophies ;)
  6. Konoko

haha classic!
  7. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

This is something that I'd really like to see as well, but have to remember that WoW has had over 8 years to improve their engine, I wouldn't be surprised if Wildstar didn't start out perfect.
  8. Konoko

WoW actually had their engine pretty much spot on day 1. Which was amazing. I was in WoW since the beta and was incredibly impressed with how smoothly it ran. :) I don't expect WildStar to be perfect but I just want to emphasize that the smoothness of the combat is a very important item for not only me but a lot of the fanbase especially the PvP fanbase. SWTOR was really poor with their engine initially and I quit that game after 2 weeks of play. I am now playing it again just to see what they've updated and it does seem they fixed some of those engine issues in PvP Battlegrounds.
  9. Clickbeast

Clickbeast Cupcake

If you havent, check out the Totalbiscuit video, part 2, a few minutes in. He fights quite a few mobs, and you can see the ground target attacks and the enemy's attacks.

At one point he dodges a tiger's continuous stationary attack, and it seemed that most of the damage he did take was deserved (he didn't dodge at all, etc.). Pretty good signs so far...

Also hello from Florda
  10. Jersaun Korris

Jersaun Korris Cupcake-About-Town

From what I've gathered on the several videos released showing game play, the engine looks smooth, and responsive. The only worries I have about it comes down to performance with a large amount of players in an area such as raids, PvP arenas, and other large population scenarios. I've known some engines that can make the most beastly of gaming rigs slow to a crawl because of engine hiccups. Let's just hope that Carbine has such issues solved before/at launch.
  11. Konoko

Thanks Beast I'll check that out right now. That is a good sign.

It's getting hot down here in FL already :)
  12. Sabre070

Yeah, from what I've seen its been pretty good and your memory of WoW must be different to mine.

Smoothness is a really high priority for me too after playing Warframe for a week I found it so hard to go back to other games because the animations were so smooth.
  13. Konoko

Yes can you say Castle Sieges in Lineage2 or Nexxus event in Tera. Or even in WoW when they first did , and I cannot think of the name of it, but the large scale PvP event. It was also really really laggy.

Those are definitely things I hope they can test out. So specifically Warplots will need extensive load testing to see how it stands up.
  14. Konoko

I don't remember any issues in wow at all but to be honest it was so long ago. Perhaps it was not as smooth as it is now?

Never heard of Warframe. Smoothness is VERY important to me.
  15. Sabre070

You should definitely give Warframe a try, it gets old quick though. It's pretty much Left 4 Dead in space with ninjas, each different game is just a different L4D mission.
  16. Jersaun Korris

Yeah I've played Warframe. Couldn't quite get into the game. It just felt.....stagnant. Same gameplay over, and over with cookie cutter maps.
  17. Sabre070

True, but the animations were smooth as.
  18. Jersaun Korris

O
    Oh no doubt. The game was beautiful, and seamless. The content, and game play just left something to be wanted.
  19. Draahl

Draahl Cupcake-About-Town

I agree 100% to this. I have played online games since the early 90's and i have to say any game that felt smooth is a game ive stuck with.

And i LOVE that action combat is coming back, my first true mmo love was Asherons Call. In AC you had to aim your spells/bow/sword etc to hit something it was amazing!
    Konoko and Naunet like this.
  20. Konoko

Yah Action combat really makes the gameplay so much more enjoyable.