1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Character Creation Options

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kurik, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

In a previous uplink analysis, Carbine stated that we would have access to advanced facial customization with sliders for certain features. In the character creator, what are some things you hope to have the option to change or customize?

For me I'd definitely like to see a good implementation of age with the character's face. Let me make older and younger looking characters more than just adding stubble or a beard. Body sliders or options would be highly appreciated as well. :)

Guide likes this.
  2. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

Although overall their character creation system was awful, I liked how SW:TOR gave me the option to make a fat guy. Not everyone in the Universe is built like a model.

Aheadache, Kurik Lein and Guide like this.
  3. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

I tend to avoid playing around too much with face sliders. I can never get anything good with them, so normally I just do hair and make up. I like it when games let you pick more then one hair color. The sims 3 had a net system where you could color tips roots and highlights. Of coarse the best bang for your buck comes from your outfit and armor. Dose armor count as a character creation option?

Edit: Oh wait, wasn't there a game that let you pick your armor colors at creation?

4. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Awesome thread.

I would like different variations of certain hairstyles, such as the position of a bang, the length and width. That way, you have more variety. If someone gets the same hairdo, you still have an ounce of diversity with it. Let white hair dyes actually be WHITE, and not grey and silver. Make it bright enough to where you can see detail.

Eye colors and pupil types are a must. Please thank you!

I also agree that there should be options to make a character appear older if the default is young.

NO COLOR RESTRICTIONS. In a game with purple bunny girls, there should be no reason why I can't have a lime green color! WildStar is a colorful game. If you don't like it, you can GIIIIIT out!

I don't have too much gripes about body types, but I'm sure some people would like to have a more pudgier character, and I believe they should have that option within reason. Dunno why games are so afraid to do this. It adds great diversity. BIG IS BEAUTIFUL, TOO. If it doesn't make sense or work for particular races, then at least let humans have it. (It would have to be an American human to make sense! xD)

Sliders are great. It shouldn't be hard to make a nice unique face, but the biggest gripe I usually have in MMO character creation is the lack of hair options. There needs to be hairstyles of ALL types, and I personally love short hair the most, with a nice bang shadowing over the eyes. So mysterious.

But yes, going back to hairstyle variations. Some hairstyles should have different versions.

5. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

The first one to mention the famous B-slider gets a cookie!

6. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Champions Online and I believe City of Heroes both let you pick armor colors at creation.

Aheadache likes this.
  7. Ingsoc

Both Guild Wars games do as well, don't they?

Aheadache likes this.
  8. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Yeah that's right, it's a limited selection at creation but there's a wide array of dyes you can collect and use.

9. Ingsoc

I agree, the more hair options the better. I think the biggest challenge in that department comes from the risk of hair clipping through armor and not looking very good.

10. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

They let you completely design your entire character head to toe right at creation in a very robust character creator. It's completely different from other mmos that have you loot your armor.

11. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

Body Structure. I feel like this is always overlooked in most mmos and a variation of body structure in the same race makes you feel extremely unique. Being able to make a heavy set human or short skinny Granok.

Doesn't have to be extremely detailed but just the ability to adjust height and weight is a major cosmetic aspect that I really enjoy.

Armor wise DCUO has probably the most impressive armor customization system I have seen and would be an amazing addition to an mmo.

Kataryna, Zerdav and Dauthis like this.
  12. Zel

Zel Cupcake

Of course Aion had sliders for just about everything...and a certain demographic realised small toons are harder to hit and the world was filled with mini mes. :p

13. Dauthis

Dauthis Cupcake

Every game I play I find something about character creation I like. Odd as it is to say, I think making new characters is my favorite part of a new game!

I think a little starting outfit customization would be amazing!! I loved in DCUO (and GW2 for that 1 piece that each class had) that you got to wear something different right out of the gate. As they say "The clothes make the man." I'd love if you got a small aesthetic item right out of the gate like goggles/hat/headband or vest/jacket/shirt; something that set you apart.

The cheaper alternative is tattoos and jewelry on characters; it lets you choose a look and attitude without unbalancing anything.

14. Malisent

Malisent Cupcake-About-Town

I played the Neverwinter beta this weekend.. and laughed during character creation as the only part of my body that was capable of movement was my boobs which had no option other than bouncy big and bigger.

15. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

And we have a winner! :-D

16. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

That will make it a WoW killer.

JarNod and Zerdav like this.
  17. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

Beards and body hair.

18. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I've never been any good at making my characters look good, so I like the WoW/SWTOR style of choosing a certain head. But I will fight for everyone else's right to have sliders. :D

19. Rakkis

Rakkis Cupcake

sliders work for me, but i never really understood why there was a lot of hair options if for a majority your wearing a hood/helmet.

20. Ingsoc

Hopefully there will be a hide helmet button!

JarNod, Guide, Rakkis and 2 others like this.