1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Character Creators and you.... What would you like to see in Wildstar's Character Creator?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Chrilin, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

For me it's all about choices. Nothing about my toon is as important to me as what he or she will look like. I will spend hours (even days due to rerolls) getting mine just right.

I know that every game has it's limitations, and that developers only have so many resources to dedicate to these systems. Let's cherry pick and discuss what we did and didn't like from past mmo's to try and create the dream Character Creator for Wildstar:).

I only have one word Aion... Imo Aion has one of the most detailed CC's of all time. Problem is with the very stylized graphics of Wildstar I just don't think that system would work well.
    Thoughts?
  2. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Yeah, a character creator is very important. It think it is most of the time under appreciated by devs, but people play hundreds of hours looking at their creation. The more options a creator has, the more time I will spend in one. I most of the time make several and pick one of those to start with.

It all depends on what is possible with the engine Carbine has created though. I read that they want Aurin to have different kind of ears for example. But what about the size of those ears? Or, can you make them of uneven length? Can one ear be straight and the other crooked? Or what about the color? You can see how many options you can create with just the ears. They could be unlimited.

But the creator should have limits. For example to prevent characters that don't fit into the style of the game. It would destroy my immersion completely.
  3. Chrilin

You see.... I'm already blown out of the water. That is something I have never thought of before.
    The ability to microtune your avatar's appearance with things like bent ears is sweet.

It's going to be hard for me to keep up with ideas like that... I can't draw a straight stick figure to save my life.
  4. Hydros

Hydros Cupcake

I know I want a rocky beard for my Granok, thats for sure :)
  5. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Heh, that actually sounds pretty cool!

I just hope they have enough adjustments to allow many different looks. I want height adjustment, width adjustment, hair colors and styles, weight, facial and body hair, eye colors/shapes, ear size, nose size, face shapes, foot size. I love spending time on creation when a game allows it. Starting clothes are not quite as important if we are changing them out fairly quickly, but if not a nice choice of clothing.

For Aurin, different types of fur and for Granok different types of rock. This would be in addition to the others already mentioned.
  6. souper

souper Founding Member

There isn't anything in particular that I want to see in the character creator, only a reasonable amount of options so we don't all look the same. Most of your look will come from the gear you wear so I'd like for them to focus on developing more content there and giving us costume slots if it makes sense. If height/weight sliders get in the way of that then I can live without them.
  7. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

A Character Creator before logging in for the first time only give a character an initial look, but I would love to see my character change in the game as well. In SWToR you had the option to enable the Dark Force effect on your face. I loved that! Please Carbine, add something like this in Wildstar as well. Maybe a scar after you got killed 10+ times or something like that kind of stuff. Or gear that looks damaged after a fight (if something like item wear is in the game). All optional of course. My character doesn't have to look brand new the whole time.

Plus of course a lot of fluff stuff that you can make with your trade skills. I would love to make a utility belt and see it on my character. Earrings, necklaces, rings ... make them visible.
  8. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

In the character creator I would like enough choices so that I do not find clones of myself everywhere.
    I love item and armour customization. maybe I will have goggles, a hat or a monocle. I could change the color of my armour etc..

In the SWTOR starting areas maybe not all the characters did not look exactly the same but if you were the same class you were all for the most part wearing the same stuff.
    maybe they changed that now I don't know but I would like the ability to differentiate myself from the rest even by a little bit.
  9. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I forgot that about SWTOR already, which was changing your look as you got deeper into the dark side.

If they can do that, then why not aging? I would love to have my settler age over time, as an option of course.
  10. Chrilin

I think someone mentioned earlier different appearances for your armor. Like a dusty look or battle damage. Having a tank have battle damage on it's armor would be pretty cool. As a option of course.
    It sounds like a good time sink as well.... Earning weapon/armor skins.

I also think this was mentioned:
    In Tera I didn't like the male toons so I always rolled female... It just didn't feel right to tank in a bikini so maybe a choice for female toons between the exaggerated and realistic armors as well.

I know these ideas are more along the lines of armor skinning than a CC, but it would be cool to see stuff like this in game.
  11. Chrilin

I like the color wheel system for things like flesh tone and eye color, it really makes you feel like there are a ton of choices.
  12. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Yeah, but only if that color wheel has a range of colors in it that would work. For human skin tones it would range from brownish black to pinkish white. While hair color for Aurins could range from dark blue to fel green. So no RGB color wheels please! I don't want to see a human with blue skin! :p
  13. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

No blue skin? Why? What if I want to play a human that is deprived of oxygen? :confused:
  14. Chrilin

lol... Hop onto Swtor you can have a blue humanoid a red humanoid or a green.... well you get the point.
    Seriously though, realistic color wheels would be nice. I have created toons that look like Storm from X-Men before, but Wildstar being a sci-fantasy genre I don't see that as a problem.

One thing in Rift I didn't like was being forced into a color range. If you were a humanoid on the Guardian side your choices were snow to pink cream in color, Defiant side you were going to at the very least have one serious tan:cautious:.

Maybe it is a lore thing or maybe it was because I was on a trial account I'm not sure. I do think that your toon should be able to be created in the image you desire though. Within reason of course.
  15. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

Character creators... oh gosh, where do I begin?

Personally I don't care whether it's based on sliders or selecting presets, but there has to be a wide variety of options. Slider-wise, Aion is nice, but I think they maybe let you go a little bit too far. Guild Wars 2's is a limited version of that (at least when it comes to the face), but in my opinion, too limited - it's fairly hard to make an ugly character, and I think people should be able to do that as well.

Judging by what we've seen so far, however, I'm almost willing to bet that WildStar's system will be based on presets, probably like WoW, but more elaborate. Things that are a must for me to be satisfied with that is hair (and beards and 'staches for the menfolk) with a range of natural and unnatural colors (because come on, there's space travel - hair dye should be easy), skin tones, faces (young, old, ugly and pretty) and possibly accessories for both genders (such as jewelry - ears, nose, eyebrows, lips?).

To make me really happy, splitting the face option into shape (heart, oval, square, etc.), eyes (heavy lidded, deep set, bags under eyes), nose (flat, broad, hooked) and mouth (thin, plump, wide) is a good idea. To make me even happier, toss in forehead (wrinkles!), cheeks (freckles!), chin (cleft! and women can have those too, you know!) and ears (we already know the Aurin will have various kinds (please let there be an option for a torn ear), why not extend that to other races?). Scars would also be neat, but it's hard to make those look decent with various skin tones. Oh, and let me choose my eye color while you're at it.

From the neck and down, I'd love to see options for various builds, and height should be independent of that. Honestly, even if it's just three options for build (broad, medium, skinny) and height (tall, medium, short), I'll be glad - because it's one heck of a lot more than many other MMOs offer! Also, for female characters - boob size (big, medium, tiny). Please let me choose my own goddamn boob size. Not everyone likes having (or seeing) giant knockers, even if it's virtual!

For Aurin, in addition to the various ear choices we already know we're getting, I'd also like to see some tail options. The Aurin we've seen so far weird me out with their bunny ears and feline tails. Seriously. Give us more tails. And one hair option I thought of that would be really neat is little twigs or leaves sticking out of their hair.

The Granok would probably look pretty rad with various patterns for their skin, like cracking stone or maybe have some moss growing on it. Speaking of moss - moss fros! Moss beards! ... Crystal beards?

All that said, I don't really expect a lot. I'd rather go in expecting nothing and be surprised, than expect a lot and be disappointed. ;)

That was a lore thing, actually. Mathosians (Guardian humans) were pretty much the castle-dwelling Europeans, while the Eth were the desert nomads. I actually love lore restrictions like that, it gives me a better feel for the world and makes me more interested in learning about it.
  16. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Why restrict that to females? What's wrong with man boobs? :roflamo:

No serious though, I really hope Carbine can surprise us with this. It will not be easy.
  17. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

I think that's where the build options come in for males. ;D
  18. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

We actually just started testing sliders. :)
    Tiktak and starspun like this.
  19. Chrilin

sweet
  20. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Cool, can't wait for more details.