1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Character Creators and you.... What would you like to see in Wildstar's Character Creator?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Chrilin, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I don't want to speculate anymore. I want to be able to discuss actual game features and their positives and negatives. Report bugs and give advice. Patience is not my greatest strength I'm afraid.
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  2. Billco

Billco Cupcake-About-Town

Heh , well then to coin a phrase often used on the swtor forums during beta...

See you at launch!
  3. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

I know it's hard.... So many questions so few answers. I don't believe Wildstar is going to launch anytime soon unfortunately.

I was thinking though about some of the ideas being tossed around.

How about pre-set builds like athletic and curvy (obviously with a more pc pre-set than curvy) and then use sliders to adjust height and the like. It would be really cool, though I think extremely hard to implement.
  4. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I usually randomize until I see something, that I like, then I adjust the fine details.
  5. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Already exists in City of Heroes, and has done for years so I reckon it won't be that out of the realms of possibility.
  6. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Interestingly, I do it the exact opposite. I click through each individual thing until I find something I like and then lock it in place and move to the next option.
  7. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

hehe, you could say I take what the Gods gives me and then give it a cosmetic makeover and plastic surgery :p
  8. Chrilin

Good to know.... I was thinking it would be hard to implement due to clipping issues. Sounds like that particular engine avoids that issue somehow.
  9. gentlestar

gentlestar Admin's Wifey - Do Not Aggro!

I was just talking to Zap about this, now that it looks like COH will be leaving I'm without a home for gaming. So in our talks I brought up a few points. No game has ever come close to COH creator and I would spend hours and hours creating because I can't play a character unless there is a certain feel to them that makes me want to spend months building them up. If the look and name and color doesn't fit I won't play it. But my main complaint in most games is everyone looks the same, the characters vary slightly with colors or hair but that's it. I hate that, I want a unique look that screams me. So I'd love to see a unique color pallet that you can pick different hues or mix hues to make odd colors or patterns ... Also I'm more into costumes then functional equip clothes, that's when people start looking the same so maybe say equipping a belt .. have a selection of looks that that belt can be and still function the same, so each belt can have a dozen looks to pick from and color choices. I know Wildstar has a unique look but right out of the starting zone I want my character to be special and someone see's me running by or stuck on a tree they know its me lol.

take a look at Warhammer .. everyone is the same with same colors and I was bored by lvl 20, although the pony was fun to run around with and turning into a chicken was unique.. but still if I can't get emotionally involved with a game I'm spending all my spare time playing it wont last long on my PC .. its important to me to have choices and options...
  10. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

You will be a happy customer then. All your concerns are taking care of by Carbine. The customazation is really extensive in Wildstar. You should read the Wildstar Wednesday about the economy. It is all explained there.
  11. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Hey so long as I can have a cool bald head like those Heroic Carbine Developer guys (Chad and Mike) I will be happy. ((Send all Alpha invites to my email pls)) :laugh:
  12. Mosene

Mosene Cupcake

What?! Not spending 60 minutes spam clicking all options 100 times until you find the perfect settings and 30 min more looking dumb in front of the monitor having trouble deciding what name to pick only to find out it was taken?! Blasphemy!
    Tiktak likes this.
  13. Sorn

Sorn New Cupcake

Based on what I have seen of the game and the avatars, my guess is that the character creation process will not be too detailed. I would expect face, head hair, facial hair, skin colour, hair colour, and maybe tattoos/markings and species-specific tweaks (ear shape for Aurin). I doubt there will be any sort of morphing via sliders, like for height/weight/feature shape, etc. in the vein of EverQuest II. I imagine it will present a bit more variation than World of Warcraft (very little), but less than Rift (moderate), as an example. It will be leagues away from something like City of Heroes. Like I said, though, this is just a guess.

Of course, after character creation the ability to colour gear in three ways is going to be awesome. That alone will provide a lot of ways to differentiate oneself.
  14. WildZhen

WildZhen Cupcake-About-Town

(oh again I'm late to the party) I have a question what are sliders (yes I know I'm awful but better ask you guys and cure this lack of "common" knowledge lol)?

Is it like City of heroes where you could make tiny bit of a tiny of a toons playing with height and all. If yes then please do not or at least remove the height thingy it's just not interesting to have a toon that don't even fit into common sense. Imo, this kinda of feature break games (talking in general).

Other than that, the toon creator before launch would be awesome some people don't spend 4 hours on the "customize your too" at launch mostly because you have been waiting for "so" long (it's always a long time when you wait for something you like same when you wanna get out of something you hate ie: Operation management class 4hrs no break, okay it's TMI), But yeah if you give this creator toon prelaunch then be sure everyone will make their toon their own from day 1.
    Besides, dyes are becoming (well first time I used them was in GW1 I think but might have been there before) a nice way to post customization and I do like them.
  15. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Sliders yes they can be addictive, spending hours moving the slider 5% to change the angle of the forehead, another slider for the angle of the nose, cheekbones, jawline, then check picture of self, realise you are getting older, adjust slider accordingly, dont like the reality and hey its a game anyway, go for a random set and heck that looks like the guy I work with, cant have that. More adjusting and the toon looks like your father .....NO that wont do. More adjusting (Most of your buddies are at level 8 by now) and you arrive at a resemblance of the guy who just served you at the drive through .....YEAH I usually go for a ME clone just because I HATE someone coming up and saying 'Hey that looks like Uncle Harold' Facepalm, you can just never get into your character after that ! Im good with anything just let me play LOL now !
    WildZhen likes this.
  16. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I don't remember seeing anything about character customization.
  17. Chrilin

Easy way to fix that is to give ranges on height. Perfect example is GW2, you can only make a toon so tall or so short based on it's race. :)

One of the ideas that was tossed around awhile ago was to have character creation done after you picked your name... It would keep people from having to worry about their name being taken while they play with their toons looks. Another was to let people (wishful thinking imo) have advanced access to the CC so they could play with and write down their settings ahead of time.

It has been stated that there will be a dye system and some sort of appearance tab. So we are in luck there.
  18. WildZhen

WildZhen Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks for the answers guys, Thanks chrillin (btw He was the strongest human on earth since songoku and the others were all extra terrestrial beings fact we all seem to forget simply put nice tag ^^)
  19. Chrilin

Thanks brother. :) Yeah I loved the little guy and he's bald like me so it's a win win for me.
  20. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

You might want to read it again, then. ;)