1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Character customization

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by McGamer, May 30, 2013.

1. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

I searched this whole section and didn't find anything labeled like this, so I apologize if this has been mentioned elsewhere. Unfortunately, given how much time is remaining before launch, repetitive questions are inevitable.

So, as the title implies; Does anyone know what level of customization there will be in character creation? Are there any SS or vids to link of this? I don't mean dyes, I mean sliders for height, weight, and facial proportions for example.
  2. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

PAX East 2013 - Full WildStar Character Creator

This gives an idea of the Character Creator as it was implemented at PAX East.
  3. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

Thanks for the link!

I like most of what I see, which is a lot more than I expected to see really, lol. The only thing that bothers me is there are no height or weight sliders. The lack of a weight slider is not a biggie, but I hope Carbine at least adds a height slider for all the races.
  4. Nayukhuut`Chet

Nayukhuut`Chet Cupcake

Yeah. I think I was spoiled with that in Gw2. I rather liked the body type and height options.

That said, I imagine that the character creation in that video is creation in its most primative form. I think we will likely see a host of new options come release.
    RedSam777 and Yinello like this.
  5. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

I'm worried that there appears to be no breast slider. Because those girls are packing torpedos and they could really stand to be smaller. (basically, make the current model the biggest)
  6. Imafrakkincylon

Imafrakkincylon Cupcake

I just made a post about this. It deserved its own rant.
    RedSam777, Cartographer and McGamer like this.
  7. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

From what I have noticed in other MMOs is that there are more games with height sliders than without. And the ones without, tend to fall to the wayside imo. I tend to be picky about an MMO seeming a little bland like console characters are known for as well. So overall, I am glad to hear the video might be a little dated, since the game is still in beta after all.

On a separate topic, I am sure it's too late for Carbine to change this, but I think it would be cool if the Draken had anthropomorphic legs since they are beast-like and all. I always thought the Tumeroks from Asheron's Call 2 were the coolest race back then and worked great, yet no MMO has ever made anything as well done as Tumeroks which is a shame really. There are too many strict humanoid race models with all the talent around these days imo.

Ah well, maybe one of the other hidden races will have anthropomorphic legs or a future race maybe.
    Roda, RedSam777 and Nesphito like this.
  8. Cartographer

Cartographer Cupcake-About-Town

On the one hand, I'm hoping for lots of options, but on the other, once I'm in game, the shape/size/spacing of my character's eyes is basically irrelevant to me, along with a whole lot of other options that seem to be standard in character creation these days. I spend 99% of my time looking at my characters back/arse, which rarely features on the set of sliders to be tweaked.
  9. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

I like lots of customization but I do think tiny details can be overlooked. In Neverwinter you could even adjust your nail size - something I didn't really deem necessary while wearing gloves. xD
  10. Shoogli

Shoogli Cupcake-About-Town

Height sliders only work if the animation running speed is scaled accordingly as well. (slowed for bigger characters and sped up for smaller ones : am talking of the same character here not various races differences as those are already taken into acount).

If you don't do that (modify the animation speed), and many games that have height sliders don't do it properly, then when the character runs, if he's not at the intended size : there will be some sliding and the feet won't connect well with the ground and you loose this "grippyness" so to speak that makes the gameplay more enjoyable even if you don't really notice why.

Note : am talking about the speed the run or walk cyle animates, not the overall speed of the character...
    schmell and Sonntam like this.
  11. Flannan

Flannan Cupcake

The more character customization there is, the worse it is for me (in a good way). Takes me forever to get it just right, and then when I log in, I see 1-2 things that are off, so I have to delete that character and redo it with those tweaks.
    Zwipe likes this.
  12. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

The more customisation, the better and more personal your character will be for you. this goes from player model to animations and all sorts of things. I really hope they implement more choices than simple presets for each 'body part' that we seen from the PAX video
    RedSam777 likes this.
  13. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

I'm fairly happy with it, given that it's still in development. Like almost everyone else, I'd like to see some more options for body types and perhaps a height slider. I do find it encouraging that they seem to be going for fairly tolerable hairstyles. It's irritating when games brag about their customization options, but then make the vast majority of them variations on the mohawk or other extreme styles. It doesn't matter how many options are on the slider if everyone's running around with the same ponytail.
  14. Flannan

Flannan Cupcake

Indeed, it would be nice to see more variations on the non-extreme hairstyles.
  15. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

The good thing about options, is that they are in fact options. Players can choose to use them or not if they prefer to keep things simple. To each their own, as the saying goes.

As far as run speeds goes, I doubt Carbine would have difficulty in this seeing as they already have character models that range from petite to very tall, albeit across different races at the moment.

Details matter a lot to me because I enjoy taking lots of screenshots and in-game vids. To me, a MMO really starts to look like a boring, generic console game without details like a good character customization. That's mainly why I prefer PC games over ones on consoles.

Hopefully at E3, more info will be revealed. If not, either way I look forward to learning more about the game.

*edit*
    Roda and Sonntam like this.
  16. Aari

Aari Cupcake-About-Town

If there is one game that spoiled me with char creation its Blade and Soul. The Char creator there had everything. But im allready happy with the amounts of Head customization that you can do in Wildstar.
    It would be nice to have body sliders as well but I'll survive without ^^
  17. Cartographer

Cartographer Cupcake-About-Town

I remember reading a great article in PC gamer about DA:O, specifically how after hours spent customising, the author ended up with a man with a very obviously false beard as his hero. He said he persevered and played through with it, but couldn't take the cutscenes seriously because he, and his false beard, just chewed the scenery while everyone else stood around ignoring it.
    I know exactly where he's coming from, the number of really awful character models I've made, and only realised once they're in-game and interacting with others, is terrifying.
    Heart in the Stars and Sonntam like this.
  18. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

For some reason, recent MMOs have decided to not include very generic and common hairstyles. While they might be generic, you can't really say you have a great selection when basic hairstyles aren't in the options!
    kanochi and McGamer like this.
  19. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

Exa
    Exactly. I don't know if they're trying to give the game a more unique look by pushing people toward extreme hairstyles, but I think they're being unrealistic if they think that will make all players get on board. There are a lot of MMO players whose character design philosophy is that they're going to make the prettiest person they can, and most times that involves a relatively normal-looking hairstyle, especially for female characters. If the hair options are mostly unusual, people will just all pick the same one or two they do tolerate.

I've noticed the tendency is the most pronounced in games where there's not much in the way of race selection, or where all of the races are quite similar-looking. I think WildStar is wise to include some races that are very obviously non-human to create some visual distinctiveness, and then to be more reasonable when it comes to hair.
  20. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Other/exotic hairs are fine AS LONG as all of the basic styles are included first. Not to mention the basic styles ought to be the easiest to implement compared to the more wild styles that exist. GW2 hair selection comes to mind as an example of how not to do hair design right.
    kanochi and McGamer like this.