1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Character customization

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by McGamer, May 30, 2013.

1. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]

There are male and female Chua. They just have no sexual dimorphism.

-Rachel-
    Chim likes this.
  2. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

Unless the player chooses pink fur like in some of the screenshots, lol.

But I know what you meant Steampunkette, it is unsettling, but understood nonetheless.
  3. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

Apparently no new videos or information came out of Comic-Con about character customization.

I am guessing that Gamescom next month will only be about the final two classes as well. So I doubt devs will add info on character creation there if they didn't during the presentation at Comic-Con that was more on topic with it.

Which is fairly disappointing since good character customization means more to me than other features in a MMO.
    TanielianVB likes this.
  4. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

Am I the only one who thinks a genderless race is super interesting? As gamers all too often we're given two genders and never have a game including transexuality for example. There are plenty of species in the world that don't follow our gender binary (snails anyone?). I can imagine Chua customization is free of gender biases (like how pink is so-called feminine). I would love that if I made a Chua I could have a short pink buzz cut hair and other Chua wouldn't give a darn.
    Roda and Joukehainen like this.
  5. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

There are very few species that reproduce asexually that are "intelligent" (when's the last time you heard a snail talk, or learn anything?). I know it's a Sci-Fi video game, but there has to be some "science" even in science fiction. I think the Chua are a good compromise of still having a male/female but not being able to discern it as another race. They also give the ability to customize it so it looks like a male or a female, or androgynous.
    McGamer likes this.
  6. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

Not to mention that intelligent species tend to not fit well on a menu like escargot does. No thanks on being low on the food chain.
  7. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

I don't completely understand your point. Science in science fiction? As in realistic? WildStar has gone way beyond reality here. Space Zombies? Rock men? I mean geeze, we even have people with bunny ears. We have islands in the sky and magical teleports. Yet the concept of no genders is too difficult to imagine, despite it already existing in our animal kingdom? So what if our reality has very few intelligent asexual species, why can't it be done in a game?

I think people are too hung up on needing two genders. I see no problem with people customizing their Chua to be more stereotype feminine or masculine but I won't cry rivers if we don't get a gender button in the beginning. It's interesting and it's new.
    The Duck likes this.
  8. TanielianVB

TanielianVB New Cupcake

Thread battle cry up until now: WE WANT MORE CUSTOMIZATION OPTIONS!

Am I right?
    McGamer likes this.
  9. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

In the case of the Chua it's fine to not include a male/female specific model, because it's not obvious to the rest of the races which is which. Similarly as if you look at a dog, you can't tell if it's male or female without further investigation, same with many other animals. Technically the Mechari are genderless if you want to get down to it, but the Chua have genders, though they aren't able to be discerned. I think the fact that you can't tell a male from a female Chua is interesting in itself and builds a realistic layer to the race.

I guess they can do whatever they want with the game, but whenever I see a "genderless" race in a game (Tera) I felt disconnected from that race. I think it removes some of the depth of the race for something with weak reasoning as to why there is no gender (I.E. they are born of the earth or whatever) but still decide to take a humanoid form.

So I guess my point is, that the Chua aren't genderless, but also I wouldn't mind if they were free of gender customizations (in other words all customization options are available to all Chuas). I was pointing out the fact that reasoning that there are "plenty of species which are genderless in the real world" is a weak argument for basing a sentient race on. The fact that many of the species on earth cannot be discerned as male or female without closer examination is much more reasonable for Chuas to follow that type of thinking.
  10. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

but cant mechari have children or make or build children.....or something like that
  11. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

They could build new Mechari (possibly), but wouldn't "grow" them. They are robots, so they aren't able to do any sideways no pants dance to make a new robot. They would piece together a new one which is fully built, possibly it would have to learn with AI. It really depends how the Eldan made them. The only reason there's a male form and female form in the Mechari is so that their Cassian counterparts are more comfortable around them. This is important for spy techniques, and intelligence gathering. Their forms are simply strategic, and that's all.
  12. Steampunkette

I doubt that. I think they actually have gender-based programming and think of themselves as male or female, much like humans do. It might be interesting to see a transgender Mechari, even. Male programming in a female chassis or something similar.

-Rachel-
  13. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

srry this is is late but what if female mechari made a force field like womb and thir insides build a mechari baby and they have all these cords an cables feeding it information and knowledge
  14. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

This could more easily be done by a factory, and be teleported to the location so that the female mechari wouldn't have to have her power drained by what "she" would probably consider a parasite. I don't see Mechari females being the "motherly" type anyway. Also, since it's just a genderless race, the males should be able to do the same thing.

Again, robots are manufactured. They can manufacture themselves... but still manufactured.
  15. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

i know but it just sounds weird to call them genderless even though their seperated like that
    its kinda like why have two different kinds just have one type able to have boobs
  16. Steampunkette

When two Mechari love each other VERY much they order a box of circuitboards, a power core, and a catalogue with a variety of chassis options. They then plug directly into each other to determine the optimal chassis configuration based on both parents' preferences, order the pieces, and begin construction of the internal circuitry of the new mechari while the parts are constructed and shipped out.

They then begin an informational dump of both parents' perspectives of history, combat, diplomacy, and more to the burgeoning artificial intelligence. When the new parts arrive the parents construct the new mechari body around the power core and artificial intelligence matrix, then finalize the links to the chassis, help their child dress, and send him or her off into the world.

-Rachel-
    Shadowyc, Chim and The Duck like this.
  17. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Wouldn't the child's "growing up" be done digitally then? And why wouldn't they simply upload their data to the new robot from where they are, and have a menial robot manufacture a perfect chassis? Also, Mechari don't feel humor, let alone love, so this would never happen. They may decide it is what is best for the empire to implement the compromise of both chassis and knowledge-bases, but never because of love... That's just weird.

I am against robot love! Though not the production based on a digital input from 2 genderless robots of any type, whether they both look male or both look female...

This episode of Futurama came to mind:
    [​IMG]
  18. Steampunkette

Three notes:

First: Voxine very clearly has a sense of humor in the Paths Flick. Malvolio just doesn't understand Mechari emotion.

Second: I never once commented on the gender of the parents. I avoided it pointedly, because gay romance-mechari-babies are cool.

Third: I was basically stealing the child-rearing subplot from a movie and dressing it up for the fun of it.

[​IMG]

-Rachel-
    Chim likes this.
  19. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

How a player decides to roleplay their character after creation is their own business. However, pushing atypical beliefs into the character creation process involving gender issues is ridiculous.

For one thing, science fiction is based on science fact, ask any author. The bottom line in most video game development is that too much "atypical nonsense" is counter productive for the game to be profitable in order to attract the largest fanbase possible.

That aside, I prefer the thread maintain on track about customization details and not let this wander into "personal" waters about gender issues further. I ask this since I started the thread and this drama was never intended or expected over pixelated characters. Thanks
  20. Rafe

Rafe Cupcake

One thing that is detrimental to a lot of different options, like height and weight scales to an extreme, of course, is that ultimately they want everyone to be able to identify a race from afar.
    So some races remain taller than others, and with a specific silhouette. I do believe it is possible for some options regarding that but I'm curious how far they are willing to go with that. Because I still believe it is interesting to have that kind of differentiation from afar due to pvp and aesthetic purposes.